The Android 4.2.2 update for the Galaxy S3 has leaked online ahead of its official release date – and you can download it here! To note: there have been Android 4.2.2 update leaks in the past, but this is the most complete yet.
SamMobile is the first site to get its hands on I9300XXUFME7 - Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean test firmware for the Galaxy S III. It includes a number of software enhancements, like a new Galaxy S4-esque lock screen, support for multiple widgets, an additional "light" unlock effect, improved ripple animation and the ability to change the clock size and post a personalized message.
According to SamMobile, the official update can be expected in July or August, although we don't yet know for sure. Previously, SamMobile reported that the final version was supposed to be released in June.
This new firmware also features Adapt Display mode which optimizes colors based on ambient light conditions, a new Daydream mode, actionable notifications and the addition of voice control settings. Not only can you see a video of the update in action, read about all of its features, but you can also flash it on your device!
Android 4.2.2 Build ID: JDQ39 Features:
- New S4 Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, two Unlock effects (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- New Additions in Notification Center
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the S4)
- Addition of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
- Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D the background changes to white)
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from S4)
- New smart switch widget
- Found more? Tell us about them in the comments below!
Here are the full firmware details:
Android Version: 4.2.2 – JDQ39 (Jelly Bean)
Region: Open Europe
Changelist: 702147 (Previous leak: I9300XXUFME3 = 611730)
Build Date: 21 May 2013
Here's What it Looks Like On Video:
Finally, here's how to download and install the update on your device (warning: it involves wiping your device):
- Download the firmware here.
- Unzip the file
- Open Odin 3.04 (already included in the firmware package)
- Restart phone in download mode (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons)
- Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
- Add I9300XXUFME7_I9300OXAFME7_I9300XXUFME7_HOME.tar.md5 to PDA
- Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
- Start flash, sit back and wait a few minutes.
- If you encounter any issues with the firmware (Any FC, Bootloop etc)
- Boot into recovery mode (Home+ Power + Volume Up)
- Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
- Then choose reboot and you should be good to go!