My new App

• Replies:30
Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jun 14, 2010, 5:42:52 PM via Website

I have released a new android game called TetraGomy. It's kinda like tetris, but there are two sides to the playing field. Pieces on the top fall down and pieces on the bottom rise up. Once you've completed a line or group of lines on both sides, they fold into the middle. Please download and tell me what you think of it. Thanks!

https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/xdebugx.tetraGomyA/TetraGomy-Free

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jun 14, 2010, 9:59:53 PM via Website

It's somewhat hard to control with a trackball, as the piece can rotate in a direction not intended fairly easily. Graphics are good. I'll try different key control combos and see what works.

Jeremiah

Jun 15, 2010, 6:01:49 AM via Website

You can use the touch screen aswell. And if your phone has them the navigation arrows. I'll work on the trackball and see if I can make it better. Was also thinking of putting onscreen arrow, rotate and drop buttons.

Jeremiah

Jun 15, 2010, 8:08:09 AM via Website

Douglas, I' rewrote the trackball controls. Now It takes multiple samples of the trackball movement and averages them. It should be more accurate. Also under keys in the main menu, you can set the touch and trackball sensitivity. A higher sensitivity will take more samples before it moves the piece, but will make the controls a bit sluggish. A lower sensitivity will move it faster, but may be less accurate. Try adjusting the sensitivity and let me know what you think of these controls. Thanks,

Jeremiah

Douglas Carter

Jun 15, 2010, 2:34:30 PM via Website

What do you think about assigning one color to each piece? Also, the controls are vastly improved in the trackball for me, so that is good. I like it, but I'll have my GF try it since she is really good at T word-styled games.

Remco Janssen
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 15, 2010, 3:50:33 PM via Website

Hi, I've downloaded your app and the idea is great! I like the twist where blocks come from both sides. In my opinion the controls can be improved a little. I would like to be able to quickly let a piece drop down (e.g. pressing the trackball), to speed up the game. And for me, it is confusing that when a block is coming from below, that I have to "scroll down" to speed it up. Well, maybe that's just me. I would like to know from other users how they feel about it.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for this app!

Jeremiah

Jun 16, 2010, 2:12:16 AM via App

Remco, if you press keys on the main menu, there is an option to reverse the rotate and drop keys for the bottom half. Maybe I should have this turned on by default? Pressing the trackball will use your spacefold. The spacefold will let you move one of the falling pieces to the opposite side. You are able to use it whenever you have completed a line. It is useful if you don't have a good spot for the current piece or if you need it on the other side to complete a line.

— modified on Jun 16, 2010, 2:19:09 AM

Douglas Carter

Jun 16, 2010, 1:41:35 PM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
Remco, if you press keys on the main menu, there is an option to reverse the rotate and drop keys for the bottom half. Maybe I should have this turned on by default? Pressing the trackball will use your spacefold. The spacefold will let you move one of the falling pieces to the opposite side. You are able to use it whenever you have completed a line. It is useful if you don't have a good spot for the current piece or if you need it on the other side to complete a line.
That is very useful. I didn't realize you could switch the sides of pieces.

Douglas Carter

Jun 18, 2010, 1:26:38 PM via Website

Is there a button you can push to immediately drop the piece down? Do you press space fold button to switch the piece?

I like the game a lot, but I heard about lots of T-game similar apps getting removed from the market several weeks ago. Hope yours survives :)

— modified on Jun 18, 2010, 1:28:17 PM

Jeremiah

Jun 19, 2010, 7:29:28 AM via Website

The space fold button is active whenever you have made a line or group lines, it will turn yellow, then you can press it and it will switch the piece to the opposite side. After you have used it once, you must complete another line before you can use it again. I've had several requests for a button to drop immediately, I'll try to get that added in soon. Has your gf tried it yet?

Douglas Carter

Jun 19, 2010, 12:35:11 PM via Website

She thinks the fact that you see how the piece will fall makes it too easy. Instead, she suggested adding a grid to the background (made up of the tiny blocks that make up each piece) to determine where the piece will fall. That will make it challenging without making it too easy. She also suggests having the ghost image be optional for more advanced users that dont want/need it.

I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'm assuming that the speed increases with each level, right?

[she is a very experienced tetris player]

Jeremiah

Jun 19, 2010, 3:19:26 PM via App

Yes, the speed increases with each level. It gets very fast at about lvl 10. The amount of point you get for each line also goes up per lvl. And you get more points for completing a group of lines. For instance if you fold 4 lines at once you get a lot more than if you fold 4 lines individually.

Remco Janssen
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 21, 2010, 10:39:49 AM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
Remco, if you press keys on the main menu, there is an option to reverse the rotate and drop keys for the bottom half.
Aha! That's indeed very usefull for me. I'll try it out, thanks

Douglas Carter

Jun 21, 2010, 1:48:03 PM via Website

On my phone, it doesn't seem to save my preferences for the game controls. It can get annoying. Also, I'm noticing that changing the sensitivity isn't doing much to help prevent accidental movements of the piece. Which side is supposed to be less responsive?

Jeremiah

Jun 22, 2010, 2:57:52 AM via App

Which phone do you have Douglas? It is suppose to be saving your preferences as well as the highscore list. Is the highscore list being saved? What about your sound preferences, if you restart the game is sound on or off like you left it? If you move the touch and trackball sensitivity slider to the right it should move a little sluggish but should be more accurate if you move it to the left it should move faster but be less accurate. Did you try moving it to the extreme left or right?

Douglas Carter

Jun 22, 2010, 4:15:29 PM via Website

I'm using a G1 running Android 1.6. The high scores are all the same date, all from you, with the same score. I think the sound settings stay the same, but my phone is almost always on silent, so it is hard to tell. I tried moving the bar extreme left and right, but I guess I just had a hard time noticing. The slide bar could use a label too.

Can't wait until the next update comes out.

Jeremiah

Jun 24, 2010, 12:44:05 PM via Website

I have released an update TetraGomy. It has some new graphics and I implemented your suggestion to allow the trackball to be pressed to drop the piece all the way. Also if you phone has a keyboard, you can set a key to use to drop the piece under controls. Please tell me what you think of this version. Thanks!

Douglas Carter

Jun 24, 2010, 2:41:42 PM via Website

The new option for pressing down is definitely a plus. The graphics are a lot better/sharper now as well. It could still use a label for the sensitivity slider and one color for each piece IMO but other than that, it is fantastic. Maybe a test report is in order soon. Great job with this.

Jeremiah

Jun 24, 2010, 7:50:21 PM via App

Thanks! I'll put labels in with the next update. Just asking, why would you use only one color for each piece?

Douglas Carter

Jun 25, 2010, 4:44:29 PM via Website

Hmm. Personal preference I guess. That is the way it is done on the website my girlfriend plays on all the time. freetetris.org or something like that. It isn't an issue for many probably. For me, I would definitely see the good of knowing how the pieces were laid down. Also, making each kind of piece only have one color just kind-of goes with my personality. I like things to be "just so" if you k now what I mean. I get picky about certain subjects. 8o

ANYWAYS...I guess it'll be OK without that feature.

Jeremiah

Jul 22, 2010, 5:54:31 AM via Website

I've released a new version of TetraGomy. With this update, I added labels to the sensitivity slider (also the volume slider) as Douglas suggested. I've also added on-screen keys for moving the pieces. I was able to cut the file size of the app down to about 1.6mb from 2.2 mb, with some tweaking of the graphics. Though I'm not sure if it displays correctly on every screen size now, it did in the emulators but that is no guarantee. So any feedback (especially if it displays correctly in your phone) and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeremiah

Jul 24, 2010, 7:41:54 AM via Website

The actual graphics didn't change just the way I support multiple screen sizes. Comming from a j2me background with hundreds of phone models using j2me and a dozen or more screen sizes, I would write my games to scale the graphics to the phones screen. This is probably not the best way to do it, as some screens have different aspect ratio's and can cause the graphics to look strectched. But I was just making the j2me games as a hobby and didn't have the time to make dozens of versions and still wanted them to be playable on most phones.

With android you have 3 main screen sizes, 320x480, 240x320 and 480x800, but also can have various pixel densities or dpi. There are other screensizes (especially with tablets), but not on many devices so far. Before I was using 3 copies of the graphics in the game to support each screen size from one app. Now I just have one copy of the graphics and scale them to match the phone its running on during run-time. So all the graphics sizes;, positions, touch positions, sizes are not hard coded or "known" but instead based off the size of the screen and adjusted in code by formulas during run-time (this makes things a bit complicated). I tested each screen size on emulators, but this is no guarantee.

In order to use only one size of graphics, I had to set the apps settings of "any density"=false (or provide 3 copies, it would give me a compile error with one copy). But with this setting the android java virtual machine will attempt to auto adjust the graphics for different pixel density devices.. So the java virtual machine may scale my graphics before I even load them (because of pixel densities) so I was not sure how they would look after I scaled them also.

So you can see why I'm hungry for feedback and want to know if it runs well on different phones. Anyone with suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

— modified on Jul 24, 2010, 7:46:37 AM

Jeremiah

Jul 25, 2010, 3:50:33 AM via Website

Correction to my last post:

I found out today that the reason I was getting a compile error when building with any density set to true, was because I had deleted the low density and high density folders in the project. I found out that if I included the folder but left them empty it would build with any density and only one set of graphics files.

Jeremiah

Aug 5, 2010, 6:58:26 AM via Website

Google recently released a new developer market agreement, for developers to sign. While reading it some points made me nervous. Before I was ok with just making TetraGomy and putting it on the market to see if the owner's of the mobile rights to tetris would try to oppose it. And if so, just take it down. But while reading the new agreement, there is a clause that if google takes down any app for copyright or trademark infringement, then the developer must pay back any sales of the app from within the last year. I wouldn't mind paying them back either, but you also have to pay back the 30% that google charges. This could cost me money, so I'm thinking of taking TetraGomy off the market before it gets too many downloads. Do you guys have any advice? Also does anyone know how it would be ruled wether TetraGomy is infringing on Tetris? It's not really tetris, but a variant, so I'm not sure. I emailed the owners of tetris mobile rights, asking if they would pursue this case, but they have not responded yet. Thanks!

Douglas Carter

Aug 5, 2010, 11:11:14 AM via Website

It is hard to say. The fact that the pieces come from up and down and that you can swap pieces to the other side makes it different in my opinion, but I am not sure how different it needs to be in order to avoid legal action. How much longer do you have before you have to agree? In any case, I would wait till a day or two before the deadline, and then take it down if you hadn't heard from anyone. Definitely keep trying to contact that Tetris mobile rights guy, as he is the key in all of this. Once you hear positive news back, there is no reason why you shouldn't put it up/keep it up.

Jeremiah

Jun 27, 2011, 11:49:05 PM via Website

I released TetraGomy back to the market, and made a few improvements. https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/xdebugx.tetraGomyA/TetraGomy-Free

I'm only publishing the free version, because I cannot get any response from the owner of tetris about if it is infringing any copyrights. So I'm not taking a risk and publishing the paid version, and possibly paying back more money than I would make on it.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think of TetraGomy, thanks!

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 5, 2011, 9:27:00 AM via Website

Strongly recommended tracking app for your droid, guys:

[Link deleted = Spam]

— modified on Jul 5, 2011, 10:06:30 AM by moderator

memyselfn
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 10, 2011, 2:49:16 AM via Website

That's surprising.