Samsung Galaxy S2 — Speaker and mic problem when calling someone.

• Replies:36
Lars Juhl
  • Forum posts: 2

Jun 10, 2011, 12:59:18 PM via Website

Heys,

Just got my Galaxy S 2 a couple of weeks ago and everything is almost working perfectly…

When I am calling someone the phone sometimes does not turn on the speaker and mike. The call always goes through no trouble with that at all.
The phone is ringing to whoever I am calling, but the one I am calling cannot hear me and vice versa. I noticed that every time I make a call that actually works and goes through without any problems, the phone makes a little dialing sound and then I can hear it is ringing with the normal ringing sound. When the call does not work, the dialing sound and I am not able to hear anything, I can however see when the person I am calling answers the phone because the phones shows the small clock indicating how long I have been talking to person. So the problem lies in both the mike and the speaker because the one I am calling are not able to hear me either.

I tried to see if I could provoke the problem so that I might be able to send it in for a repair, but the mistake is very random and comes and goes as it pleases. Sometimes it works perfectly for days and other times it makes the mistake many times in a row.
I tried to test the phone to see if I could solve the problem by calling my girlfriends phone. At one time the mike and speaker actually started working 30 seconds into the call by just pressing all the buttons I was able to… but it only worked that one time.

Does anyone have an idea towards what this problem might be and more important - how do I fix it? :)

/Lars

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 10, 2011, 2:17:12 PM via Website

This really sounds like a carrier / connection problem. How many bars are at the top of your screen when you're making the call?

Lars Juhl

Jun 10, 2011, 2:25:33 PM via Website

Full, and the first week I had the phone I had a different provider that are using different antennas, where the problem also occurred.

Is there by any chance the possibility of the way I am holding my phone can cause the connection to get interrupted (like Iphone 4) ?

Daniel O'Leary
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 4:16:35 PM via Website

Hi, I'm sure you have sorted something out by now but I have the same kind of problem with my S2.
Not only in voice calls, but when watching videos\ whatever. The speaker and mic come in and out.

I took it to the network provider shop today, they advised me it is probably a hardware problem. So they told me the location of their service centre and told me to bring it in there.

Morten Overgaard

Aug 1, 2011, 4:11:11 PM via Website

Did you ever figure this out. Im having the very same problem - very annoying

Regards Morten

Man

Aug 12, 2011, 1:41:25 AM via Website

Hi Guys,

have you figured out this problem, how to fix it??? is it a network problem or a hardware problem ?

Thanks,

Martin Husted Hartvig
  • Forum posts: 5

Aug 16, 2011, 3:59:02 PM via Website

I see the same problem... Oh, one thing more, the speaker some times make a lot of noise and I think it's part of the problem. I'm wondering if this is a software or hardware error... Has anyone found a solution to this matter?

Regards,
Martin

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 17, 2011, 10:16:49 AM via Website

This seems to be a common problem on the web. It looks like Vodafone is recommending users experiencing this problem to do a full factory reset. Also install any updates that have come in since you bought the phone. I wish I could tell you more. I think I'll write a post about this on our blog and see if anyone has any solutions. :unsure:

Martin Husted Hartvig

Aug 19, 2011, 3:56:50 PM via Website

I updated the firmware version two days ago, and so far it looks, or should I say sounds :), very much better. I have had no problem since... Just as info: current firmware version is PDA:KF4 / PHONE:KF2 / CSC:KF2(HTD)

Regards,
Martin

farheen aqueel

Aug 20, 2011, 9:56:47 AM via Website

Hi were you able to solve this problem?

Ive been facing the same issue and it has become very annoying now.

Everyone is complaining that my voice is muffled.

If you were able to somehow solve the problem please do let me know how.

Martin Husted Hartvig

Aug 21, 2011, 2:45:58 AM via Website

As I wrote you should upgrade your firmware to the newest version. I have had NO problem since I did it my self. You can do it with Kies very easy. Regrads Martin

Mark Verlaat

Aug 26, 2011, 10:37:08 PM via Website

Hello all,

first of all, hi there all of you!! Today I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2. Excited about all the nice features, I encountered a bug. I tried to call my girlfriend, but she couldn't hear me. I thought it maybe a connection problem, so I tried another phonenumber. Sadly it had the same problem as described above this post.

Now I saw that this might be a software problem, because I can use the voice search in a way that the phone recognizes my voice and my command. Unfortunately I couldn't update my firmware to the version Mr. Hartvig showed us. Could this be a problem regarding the country you're in (in my case the Netherlands)?

phoenix92

Sep 5, 2011, 1:44:58 PM via Website

Hey Everyone,

i have noticed when i make calls to people i have the same problem. there is a noise reduction thing and it really annoyes me cause it makes it work alot better but you have to do it everytime you answer/they answer the phone and you have to go into the settings and turn it off. :angry: if anyone knows how to turn this off permenently please help me :D

Martin Husted Hartvig

Sep 15, 2011, 1:58:55 PM via Website

Sorry for the delay... I'm from Denmark... After I posted my last response I wrote to tech support of 3, where I brought my phone, and gave them the hint to update firmware if other had seen the same problem. They thanked me and wrote that they already knew the problem and that they had solved the problem back in june together with Samsung... Though I never found this information on their site... Well, after all, I haven't had the problem since I updated the firmware...

Regards,
Martin

Fabien Röhlinger
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 3,855

Sep 15, 2011, 2:01:29 PM via Website

Thanks for sharing

Jonathan De Valck

Nov 3, 2011, 10:43:02 PM via Website

Hey

I have a similar problem, i can accept a call, and when i say something in the micro, the other person can hear what i say. But when i can't hear what THE other person is saying. Can someone give me a step by step guide hoe to fix thid problem please? I bought my galaxy s2 in luxemburg, not in the netherlands.

Thanks

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Nov 7, 2011, 2:44:25 PM via Website

Does sound / The speakers work normally? Or are they completly broken?

If its a hardware problem (i.e. the speakers are broken) then you'll have to get it replaced. If they work normally then it's problay a software problem.

In that case I'd try updating the android version (if one is available) or doing a factory reset as it sounds like you have an error in the O.S. But a factory reset will cause you to loose all information on the phone (contact, sms, progress in apps) unless you back it up. So make sure you've ruled out other problems before you reset you phone.

Jonathan De Valck

Nov 7, 2011, 3:38:10 PM via Website

Thank you,

I have tarief à rest, but it changes Nothing. The speaker at THE backside works perfectly. Everytime i make a call, i hear a little zoom noise in the earspeaker. I bought a Bluetooth headset, and it works perfectly.

Aaron Tilton

Nov 7, 2011, 5:13:11 PM via Website

That sounds distinctly like a hardware issue then. I'd take the Galaxy S2 in to the store where you bought it and have someone look at it.

Ciprian Militaru

Jan 21, 2012, 4:06:25 PM via Website

Got the same problem.
Appears to be random, happend only twice, but very annoing.
Any thoughts how to manage this?

Richard Croft

Jan 23, 2012, 3:59:21 PM via Website

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I got my phone about a week ago and everyone I call complains about the quality of the connection. There seems to be a time delay between when I speak and when they hear it. It's the same from my end too. It sounds echoey liek I'm callign someone on viber across teh other side of the world on 3G. Very annoying.

Is there anythign I can do? I'm not sure how to check what version of Firmware I have.

I'm new here so please be gentle.

Aaron Tilton

Jan 23, 2012, 4:53:39 PM via Website

That actually sounds like a connection issue to me but I'm not an expert. To check what version of Android you have on your galaxy s2 go to settings>about phone> software update and that should show you if you have the latest version of Android. The Galaxy S2 is supposed to get Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich soon so you might want to check every now and then in the next months.

Vagner Andrade

Feb 7, 2012, 1:44:04 PM via Website

Hello,
I'm having the same problem with my samsung galaxy sii, gingerbread.xwk14, android 2.3.4.
I cannot hear very well the caller.
I have the latest version of the software and the problem persists.
Are you still facing the problem?

Thanks and regards,

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 8, 2012, 12:57:05 PM via Website

If your phone is rooted, there are steps you can take to fight it, such as installing a new radio on your phone. You might be better off taking it to a store to see if its a hardware related issue though, since no hack or mod can fix hardware if its faulty.

— modified on Feb 8, 2012, 12:57:12 PM

preetygirl sunona
  • Forum posts: 11

Feb 16, 2012, 8:16:27 AM via Website

I use a Samsung galaxy Y and i also have the same thing. While talking to someone over this phone the voice creates echo.
I have talked to the network provider but they say everything is okay from their side.
so the problem is in the phone itself.
i guess this is not any software problem rather the hardware issues.
Most of my near and dear ones, are frustrated talking to me over my phone. the voice creates a horrible echo and they cut my call.
I think iam going to get a new LUMIA.
It looks amazing and not a single issue as of now from any user worldwide related to the hardware or the software.

Aaron Tilton

Feb 16, 2012, 10:55:42 AM via Website

Hmmm I've never heard of a hardware issue that creates an echo but it could be possible. Is this with a normal voice call or with a VOIP program like Skype?

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Feb 20, 2012, 10:11:04 AM via Website

This could be the firmware 2.3.3 . There have been many complaints of call quality with this version. especially Vodafone.

I recommend updateting to 2.3.6 - the Modem is brand new and much better. I have a GS2 and had some minor call quality issues and started updateing to 2.3.5 and they dissapeard. I am now running 4.03 but the 2.3.6 is solid. See link and instructions below.

in the link below there is also a link to the XDA site in English.
http://www.android-hilfe.de/original-firmwares-fuer-samsung-galaxy-s2/200494-neue-2-3-6-i9100xwla4-germany-i9100dbtkh1.html

Good luck

Bob Henderson

Apr 10, 2012, 11:05:48 PM via Website

I am having the same problem. I've had the phone for about a month. Seems this start happening on day 2. Turning the phone off and back on clears up the problem every time. It is a random issue but very annoying. Have missed important business calls because of it. Tried to do the firmware update identified but phone tells me there is no firmware when I select the firmware option from settings. I am going to ask T-Mobile to replace this one unless an easier solution pops up.

Eric McBride

Apr 12, 2012, 5:18:27 PM via Website

Hmm..sounds like you guys need a new radio. You could always root your device and update it manually :)

Abdullah Kaplan

Apr 13, 2012, 4:28:01 PM via Website

The trick is you have to place a call, best way to solve this is when you take a second phone.
Now call the second phone from your galaxy s2 and answer the call from the second phone.
During the call you can press the menu button bottom left. It will show you as last option
Soundreduction on/off press that and the problem is gone. Press it twice to activate Soundreduction again.
This problem came with the latest firmware update. So please fix it android or Samsung.

I hope it works for you as it did for me.

Eric McBride

Apr 17, 2012, 4:18:31 PM via Website

Sounds like good advice! Give it a shot guys!

light matter

Jun 15, 2012, 2:57:49 AM via Website

Exactly the same issue - ICS, almost new S2 device....

anyone got any updates or links to what on earth is causing it?

appreciated!

Gustavo Martinez

Sep 8, 2012, 4:04:27 PM via Website

Thank you !

This program is done! Fix Headset this program !

Bosko

May 21, 2013, 5:34:26 PM via Website

The problem with the Galaxy S2 speaker is that it is place at the bottom of the phone near the microphone. so when you use the speaker during a telephone call there is feedback from the microphone to the speaker. I brought my Galaxy S2 to a sprint store and they wanted to charge me for defective speaker repair, so we tested by using the store display phone and the same problem was duplicated. Solution was only to get the S3. And hey guess what, the speaker is located at the bottom again for the Galaxy S41 HEH maybe planned obsolescence. Samsung baits you with a top quality camera phone and then tosses in a bad design feature.

manojaga

Jun 21, 2013, 7:07:50 AM via Website

When the problem occurs just press the volume up button. It will show the volume of speaker along with setting icon. Tap the setting icon and check the mic volume. It should not be 0.

For me randomly the mic volume was setting as 0 because of which I was able to hear the other person voice but my voice was not audible.

Let me know if this helps!