Xoom Still Best Android Tablet Around?

• Replies:13
Enrico Melowitz
  • Forum posts: 22

Aug 9, 2011, 11:55:04 AM via Website

Is it still the best Xoom tablet around? I am looking into buying one, but there are so many options out there. The Xoom seems a bit outdated now, but it's still got the best review I think.

Any tips?

bob bal
  • Forum posts: 7

Aug 10, 2011, 4:53:06 AM via App

I'm a Xoom owner and have nothing but great things to say about it. The price is now $100.00 cheaper then when I purchassed it. In what way is the Xoom outdated, just curious. When Honeycomb 3.2 was sent out to the masses Xoom wifi owners were the first to receive it. Sorry if I sound defensive I'm trying not to I'm just a big fan of my Xoom.

— modified on Sep 19, 2011, 3:50:13 PM by moderator

Enrico Melowitz

Aug 10, 2011, 9:43:43 AM via Website

Well that's great to hear. With the number of new tablets hitting the market, the Xoom has been around for a while since March or so. So I meant outdated in relative Android terms. Do you have the wifi or 3G version?

Peter Long
  • Forum posts: 74

Aug 10, 2011, 5:59:37 PM via Website

it looks like the Xoom is also screwed now that Apple is on its tail......so maybe we should forget about Android tablets for a while

Sam Field
  • Forum posts: 5

Aug 10, 2011, 6:00:48 PM via Website

Just to share: i have the 3G version and it took forever for it to get the update...

Sam Field
  • Forum posts: 5

Aug 10, 2011, 6:02:26 PM via Website

Sorry, didn't see that cause I am a newbie here. thanks for the link though. looks like a good article.

Enrico Melowitz

Aug 10, 2011, 6:03:00 PM via Website

im pretty new myself, but WELCOME!

bob bal

Aug 11, 2011, 4:08:36 AM via App

I have the wifi version. So which way are you leaning towards for your tablet?

Enrico Melowitz

Aug 11, 2011, 10:25:48 AM via Website

probably wi-fi at this point. don't feel like shelling out money for a 2 year contract. plus im usually either at work or at home - so i don't really need the 3g function. i can get all my emails and such on my android.

what's your experience been like? are you regretting getting the wifi versin?

bob bal

Aug 11, 2011, 1:16:01 PM via App

No same as you have wifi were ever I go with my tablet. I have a blackberry for when I'm out and about for emails and work. So far I really haven't taken the xoom outside of house at $600 I still kinda afraid to go to far with it. Go out in the backyard or take it in the car if I have to wait when getting my son, so far I don't miss 3G and again I have it with the work phone.

Enrico Melowitz

Aug 11, 2011, 3:13:27 PM via Website

Cool! well i am in the same boat as you. and i sure as hell won't be taking that thing with me camping or hiking so i think i've made up my mind on the wi-fi version. thanks for sharing!

Sultan Jackson
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 22, 2011, 2:11:51 PM via Website

I have had the xoom since the wifi only version release. This is a great tablet. Great battery life, good weight, really great with Netflix. I was a little pissed at first because it took so long for the SD card slot to be activated but now it's all good. If anyone wants to buy the Xoom try costco because you'll have 90 days to return it if you decide it is not for you I caution you though, it is hard to put down.

— modified on Sep 22, 2011, 2:23:14 PM by moderator

Ross
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 1, 2012, 6:59:48 PM via Website

Love my Xoom, got the WIFI only so I get updates quick, been running Jelly Bean for a while and I really luv it. I very rarely ever use my Lappy anymore, I've got a folding keyboard and use my Xoom to do everything from rdesktop into work to connect up to hardware via USB serial dongle. I also have a 64GB micro SD card so I have plenty of real estate. Heck when I crash out in bed I even watch Neflix. Also using a pair of Bluetooth wireless speakers it kicks out some great sound.

I did look at upgrading to the XYBoard but they removed the option for a SD card which was a deal killer for me.

Also IMO if you've got a data plan on your phone there is no need to get the 3G and have another data plan for your tablet, just tether it.

— modified on Sep 1, 2012, 7:01:05 PM