HTC Sensation XE — Smart move by HTC

• Replies:18
Tristan Wright
  • Forum posts: 14

Sep 14, 2011, 4:28:44 PM via Website

Develop a great phone, re-package it, add a few mildly interesting features (better sound and headphones) and sell it for way more. Capitalism wins, but do we?

Sam Buchbinder
  • Forum posts: 71

Sep 14, 2011, 5:02:10 PM via Website

We do if we care about quality sound...

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Sep 14, 2011, 5:41:47 PM via Website

Have you gotten to use one? I haven't myself but I would be interested in talking to some people who did. If you got a hold of one post a couple of sentences about what it was like and if you would recomend it to others... that would be great for the board!

Preston McGovern
  • Forum posts: 19

Oct 4, 2011, 11:28:36 AM via App

yeah thing is, the sound quality is already crisp on the sensation with stock earphones and top notch when my Beats Solo HD's are plugged into it. to notice ANY real difference you'd have to either be at producer lvl experience to tell the subtle changes in the sound or have extra ordinary acute hearing that's quite above the norm.

its a cash cow idea for an already top of the class phone imo. its like adding a bell and "go faster" stripes to an already aero dynamic racing bike. might look and sound nicer, but. What's the point?

— modified on Oct 4, 2011, 11:32:51 AM

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Oct 4, 2011, 12:03:27 PM via Website

Agreed, Preston, but I'd like to hear it myself before passing judgement.

parkchu
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 7:30:04 AM via Website

For the first I saw it..I really2 like it...the design,colour combination,come up with beats earphone, and I will continue to get an information(pros and cons) about this device among you guys before pick it up soon.(waiting for HTC Amaze to compare).

Fabien Röhlinger
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 3,855

Oct 8, 2011, 12:50:01 PM via Website

I am really waiting for the HTC Amaze.

Beats is really a cool thing. I do not hear the difference so much, though.

stewart borland
  • Forum posts: 26

Oct 10, 2011, 10:10:56 PM via Website

I got mine 2 days ago and set up everything yesterday.
I used to be a sony ericson man, then I found the HTC Desire - brilliant. I moved up to the HTC Desire HD (the 8meg camera was part of the clincher for me) and now I have the Sensation XE - stunningly fast, altogether brilliant phone and the sound through the supplied headphones is absolutely brilliant.

I can't compare it to the Sensation for you guys but it's much better than the HD.

Hope that helps,

Stewart

— modified on Feb 9, 2012, 1:16:12 PM

stewart borland

Feb 9, 2012, 1:22:39 PM via Website

So, three months on, the board's quiet, so perhaps an update?

I'm loving my XE. I've had a couple of signal strength issues but have also swapped from O2 to Vodafone in an attempt to resolve that, although along the way I did contact HTC about the issue. I was really impressed by the almost immediate dispatch on a new back to attempt to rule out the antenna as an issue.
It's fine now, although my wife's Galaxy SII does get through when sometimes I show no signal :angry: (and boy do I ever hear about it) and sometimes having lost the network I have to force it to connect again as it doesn't seem to get it back on its own??

Anyway, 3 months on - brilliant, well made phone, no plans to change.... unless HTC has a smarter, better camera spec up it's sleeves.... :blink:

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 9, 2012, 4:52:15 PM via Website

I have a Sensation, and my boss has a Sensation XE. I actually like his phone, but would never pay again for practically the same phone. Besides, my phone is rooted, and I have it overclocked to the same processor speed (I can even clock it faster to 1.7ghz per core with no issues) running the same beats audio by way of a custom Ice Cream Sandwich ROM.

So if you have a Sensation, you can root it and have a more powerful device than an XE.

Just my 2 cents.

stewart borland

Feb 9, 2012, 6:06:52 PM via Website

My move up was from Desire HD, don't suppose I'd have gone from Sensation either.

Too chicken to root, although I'd love ICS now rather than later.... but maybe end Feb?

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 10, 2012, 1:57:33 PM via Website

Desire HD is a cool phone. Dont be scared to root! You can always unroot if you dont like it! I ve rooted every single phone and tablet I ve ever owned, and the performance and updates make it soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it.

stewart borland

Feb 24, 2012, 6:37:47 PM via Website

My 'membership' on HTC Elevate is going to get me ICS next week... a week or so ahead of the launch :grin:

Aaron Tilton

Feb 27, 2012, 10:19:24 AM via Website

NIce! Have you checked out HTC Sense 4.0 with ICS yet? What do you think of the new interface. I have to admit, I'm probably one of the only people who really liked Sense and even thought I have a Galaxy S2, I wouldn't mind getting the Sense 4.0 on that bad boy.

stewart borland

Feb 27, 2012, 6:16:39 PM via Website

No, as I'm too chicken to root :*)

Just waiting for the preview/beta although I've no idea what's involved but at least it's coming from HTC.

I love Sense, it's one of the things that makes HTC stand out from the crowd!

— modified on Feb 27, 2012, 6:17:32 PM

Aaron Tilton

Feb 28, 2012, 11:10:27 AM via Website

Agreed! But I also like the more solid body designs on the HTC devices. They make the device just seem more substantial.

stewart borland

Feb 28, 2012, 11:28:48 AM via Website

Absolutely!
Although I loved my previous Sony Ericson's (and the picture quality) I was always afraid they might just 'snap'!!
From my first Desire, through to the HD and now the Sensation XE the build quality has been superb.
Well put together and an excellent solid design, yet not too bulky or heavy.

Aaron Tilton

Feb 28, 2012, 11:48:25 AM via Website

What do you think of the new HTC One X? I have been a bit warry of the quad-core devices just because I don't do that much gaming on my phone (that's what my PC is for) but I like the idea of the 4+1 solution and the camera looks amazing. I'm just not so sure about the case being made of polycarbonate and the lack of SD card slot. What do you think?

stewart borland

Feb 28, 2012, 12:14:46 PM via Website

I can't remember where I read it, but there was a really interesting post about the new 1 range, which was cautioning people about automatically going for the X thinking it was the best, when in fact different components might have made the next one down actually better/faster!

Found it -

"There is one thing you guys should keep in mind when you are going to be stuck between the One X and One S.

While it may look like the One X will be far more powerful due to a quadcore soc and energy friendly (due to the extra core for background tasks), as advertised by HTC; this is actually not really true. The One S has a new line of dualcore processors by Qualcomm which performs about the same and may even perform better than the quadcore model! And the AMOLED screen will save you more energy than the extra 500Mhz core

The next problem is this, which is another thing to consider, that on the other hand: the Tegra3 GPU is superior. If HTC would have waited for the Adreno 3 series to be implemented on the Qualcomm krait setup, this problem would have been eliminated and the One S would on all accounts be a far superior phone.
So it comes down to this: What do you want? CPU performance, a aluminium 8mm body, a AMOLED screen and a very long battery life? Get the One S!
Do you want a quadcore powered phone with higher GPU performance then CPU performance (particullary interesting for gamers) and do you not mind about a plastic body? Get the One X.

Either way, the One X is not really superior to the One S, even though HTC is advertising it as such... Keep that in mind, dont just go for the quadcore "because it is a quadcore". Make your choice wisely based on performance"

Most of that is beyond my knowledge level so I can't comment, but I'm the first to admit I had automatically gone for the X. I love my XE but always said that my next change would be driven by camera improvements so I better start saving... but which one?