So you are another frustrated programmer. You Just spent the last 2 weeks or more working on an app and now that it's finally ready you aren't getting the feedback you deserve. Trust me I've been there. After tons of research and work I decided to create a free review website, www.newappsreview.com. It's sole purpose is to boost new apps, along with providing users with a list of all new apps on the market.
There are several methods you can try to market an app. On experience every little counts. You need to post links to your app in every place of the internet if possible.
You may start by trying:
1) Forums. Most forums have their own app promotion page.
2) Sending Press Release emails to media. Always remember that these guys get alot of app review emails, so make yours stick out! Follow this guide for an excellent impression. www.netpress.org/careandfeeding.html
3) Apply For Reviews on all review websites.
4) Always use social media. Facebook,twitter.... They are free and effective
5) If you can spend money for your promotion try some CPI network like admob to raise your downloads. You need to experiment with these to get the best results at minimum cost.
Remember that for marketing to work your app needs to be good.
Hope this helps you.