Black Wallpaper Can Save Your Battery

• Replies:18
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 23, 2013, 2:42:42 PM via Website

Long story short, if your smartphone has an AMOLED screen, you can actually conserve battery life by using a pure black wallpaper. AMOLED lights up only the pixels it needs, and black doesn't require any light therefore, it uses the least display power, so the darker your wallpaper, themes, app settings etc, the longer your battery will last. If you want to read more about this, my article is here and if you want tips on how to stop your battery exploding, read this , and for some additional information about Li-Ion battery care, check out the last part of this article .
https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/4774964/image/BatteryLife.jpg

Share any other tips and tricks you have for conserving battery life in this forum too, but for starters:

Get a black or darker colored wallpaper and stay away from Live Wallpapers. You can download a plain background here .
Cluster your apps in folders so you aren't sapping battery life by having a screen full of colored app tiles.
Set your device to battery saving mode .
Set your screen's timeout setting to as short a time as possible.
Set your screen brightness to as low a setting as is comfortable, or enable automatic brightness.
Take unnecessary widgets off your home screen (in the images above: I already have the temperature, time, battery level etc in the notifications bar, so the widget is basically unnecessary, and I grouped my social media apps together)
If you have themes on your phone, choose a darker colored theme.
Red and black will save your battery more than white/yellow and green/blue.
You don't necessarily have to go with all black, but the darker the better , or at least something with lots of black areas and only occasional color patches.
Check your app settings, many allow you to customize the look of the app interface. WhatsApp for example let's you choose a wallpaper for chats. Again, choosing a black ground will save precious pixel illumination.
Have an idea of what your phone usage is like (because battery power is used up by a lot more than just display, although it is the main offender). Try to turn your phone on less (if you're a habitual ''checker'') or get Dynamic Notifications from the Play Store, which gives you the Moto X notification updates on screen, meaning you don't have to unlock your phone to know what the LED notification is for.

What other tips do you know of for making your battery last for as long as possible?

— modified on Dec 11, 2014, 3:30:12 PM by moderator

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Deactivated AccountDaniel Jones

Daniel Jones
  • Forum posts: 105

Aug 27, 2013, 9:03:32 AM via Website

While connecting your device to WiFi turn ON connect to network while display is OFF.
If your device connect and disconnect with display it consumes more battery.

I am Daniel Jones, Working with Kiwitech as app developer. I enjoy exploring apps on various mobile platforms.

Bob Hoskins
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 28, 2013, 2:58:11 PM via Website

but isnt this really jsut for the oled screens ?

Kris Carlon

Sep 2, 2013, 6:40:25 PM via Website

HI Bob, yes, these tips are only for devices with OLED displays. There's nothing you can do (as far as I'm aware) in terms of LCD screens to conserve battery (except of course, trying to not turn the display on all the time!).

— modified on Nov 7, 2013, 11:45:34 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Nov 7, 2013, 11:34:05 AM via Website

yes totally agreed !! i have tried it personally in my tab choosing dark background saves power, while if i choose fancy background having colors consume my battery faster !! :V:V

Kris Carlon

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Nov 12, 2013, 11:18:54 AM via Website

Oooopss..... have you tried installing du-battery saver app !! it is a superb application that help a lot in saving power .. must give it a shot !!:girl::girl:

Kris Carlon

Nov 14, 2013, 4:21:30 PM via Website

I'm afraid not @John. Your device has an IPS LCD display, which is always backlit, so there's nothing you can do in terms of display colors to benefit your battery - a battery saver can help you there though.

Lalit

zuk lio
  • Forum posts: 16

Jan 24, 2014, 7:06:36 PM via Website

good to known

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jan 28, 2014, 7:20:08 AM via Website

Kris Carlon
I'm afraid not @John. Your device has an IPS LCD display, which is always backlit, so there's nothing you can do in terms of display colors to benefit your battery - a battery saver can help you there though.

Does battery saver apps work i've been hearing a lot of people talking that things like battery saver just do is changing the settings like dim down you display etc. It is not going to help you out, Is it true ???

Kris Carlon

Feb 11, 2014, 1:11:10 AM via Website

Hi @John, I'm not going to say a battery saver app isn't going to work, but I do everything to prolong my battery life manually just out of habit and interest. A lot of people complain that battery saver apps actually chew more battery. But there are some good ones - check some Play Store reviews before you pick one - but even then I'd suggest doing a few days worth of 'test' first and then compare that with the same kind of usage following the installation of a battery saver app. That way you can decide for yourself based on the results you actually experienced.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Feb 12, 2014, 5:45:52 AM via Website

Hi, @Kris Somewhere in this forum i have heard about the Du-Battery saver and I am using it, and i am seeing a lot of change in the battery consumption. My question is if i use battery saver than is it going to effect the battery life ???

Kris Carlon

Feb 14, 2014, 6:27:55 PM via Website

Well it depends John, it sounds like DU is working for you in a positive way. But I read reports all the time that various battery saver apps actually suck the battery more than the problem that started it. No idea if DU is on that list but I'm glad it's working for you.

Jey Ganesh
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 1, 2014, 6:44:53 AM via Website

Disconnect the Bluetooth, GPS WiFi and internet connection if it is not used also make it silent mode.

if you need one touch control management than go for best battery saver android apps...

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 16

Jun 2, 2014, 7:53:45 AM via App

John Farrell

Kris Carlon

Does battery saver apps work i've been hearing a lot of people talking that things like battery saver just do is changing the settings like dim down you display etc. It is not going to help you out, Is it true ???

Yes John, battery savers mostly change your system settings and close background apps (less cpu usage = more battery)

pauladev
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 19, 2014, 8:04:02 PM via Website

Lollipop hasn't helped by making backgrounds to app widgets all white as well as the Google Search box. Is there a way to change these default backgrounds?

saraheva
  • Forum posts: 12

Jun 18, 2018, 5:40:59 AM via Website

That sounds crazy!