Are you a Swyper or a Typer?

• Replies:18
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 2, 2013, 12:22:01 PM via Website

What input method/s do you use on your smartphone and tablet? There's plenty of swiping options out there, from Swype and SwiftKey to Dryft and TouchPal X, but do you still resort to using two thumbs rather than a forefinger? Which method do you use? Do you switch between them? (I personally type on my tablet and swipe on my phone).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

James Ahn
  • Forum posts: 6

Oct 2, 2013, 4:28:30 PM via Website

Neither--voice. (haha when I can) Just type. Less friction.

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Oct 2, 2013, 11:38:15 PM via Website

I'm a horrible swyper. I use 2 index finger typing (because I'm also lousy at touch typing).

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

Sofie Sunde
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 3, 2013, 1:33:28 AM via App

I use Swift Key. One forefinger on the phone (because it is in a case) and two fingers on my tablet. Have used it almost since the first day I had my first Android.

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Oct 3, 2013, 1:45:55 AM via App

I'm swyping using the Samsung keyboard and now that I've gotten used to it I can't imagine going back to typing. On occasion I do need to resort to typing if I'm entering a rarely used word or someone's name but for the most part I'm swyping using my right thumb which works great. Though I've tried Swiftkey, I was too impatient for it to learn my language and habits so I switched back to my habitual and already "trained" Samsung keyboard.

Deactivated Account

Tricia_TD
  • Forum posts: 8

Oct 3, 2013, 4:56:01 PM via Website

I'm a swiper and love it! I just use the bog standard Android Swype. It's what my index finger was made for, lol!

Shweta Dsilva
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 4, 2013, 8:28:59 AM via Website

wanted to know how you swyping using samsung keyboard? im a big lover of swype!!
Loie Favre
I'm swyping using the Samsung keyboard and now that I've gotten used to it I can't imagine going back to typing. On occasion I do need to resort to typing if I'm entering a rarely used word or someone's name but for the most part I'm swyping using my right thumb which works great. Though I've tried Swiftkey, I was too impatient for it to learn my language and habits so I switched back to my habitual and already "trained" Samsung keyboard.

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Oct 4, 2013, 12:44:38 PM via Website

@ Shweta Dsilva:

Sorry, I need to correct myself. I'm not swyping as per the separate app Swype, but merely using continuous input which you can set in the settings of your Samsung keyboard settings found when the keyboard is open. It's generally the same thing though, though other apps like SwiftKey are a bit more advanced. Under the settings here, you will also find Keyboard Swipe, but that merely means ''swiping'' will switch you between the alphabet to the number/symbols keyboards.

Deactivated Account

Kris Carlon

Oct 4, 2013, 3:00:26 PM via Website

I'm on SwiftKey and haven't given it access to Facebook, email etc to learn my language habits. Has anyone done this and noticed a change? I find that SwiftKey learns well enough as I correct it anyway, and while it's slower I don't like the idea of opening up everything to a typing application just to save time. I'm interested to know if that option does make a difference though.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

pete pickett
  • Forum posts: 4

Oct 4, 2013, 3:47:53 PM via Website

I really like the Samsung keyboard but only for 1 reason. It has number keys on the top row. Swype had better prediction because it would show you different words that could be formed by the same SHAPE you draw, whereas Samsung only does a spell check and you have to redraw the shape to get your word if it isn't right. If Swype had a number row on top, I would be all over that. The Samsung keyboard will force you to type more often.

Amy R.

Oct 4, 2013, 5:21:29 PM via Website

I don't get it..........I've tried the YouTube tutorial and the suggestions in the Android. When ever I use it, it treats it like I'm talking in code or something. It has no idea of what I'm saying. I have more difficulties using it then Mavis Beacon for touch typing..................

— modified on Oct 5, 2013, 12:30:35 AM

R-I P
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 5, 2013, 5:36:12 AM via App

Same here : SwiftKey. I'm mostly swiping and I also don't let it read my email or Facebook, but it learns pretty well

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Oct 5, 2013, 1:57:20 PM via Website

I use Google Keyboard's gesture typing. Love it! WPM is HIGH that way.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Anupam Kher

Oct 6, 2013, 5:53:47 AM via App

It does make lot of difference. I am from India and SwiftKey learnings from Facebook and Twitter helps me a lot. It predicts hindi words quite well. Especially the slangs.. Lol!

Amy R.

Oct 6, 2013, 3:26:23 PM via App

Anupam Kher
It does make lot of difference. I am from India and SwiftKey learnings from Facebook and Twitter helps me a lot. It predicts hindi words quite well. Especially the slangs.. Lol!

I think I'm slowly being convinced that SwiftKey is the better way to go. I should give it a try. Maybe it won't think I'm always trying to speak in code.......

stephanie williams

Oct 7, 2013, 3:07:04 PM via App

I use both I swype on longer words and type for shorter words or depending on the length of the sentence I may rotate

Elite Predator

Oct 8, 2013, 3:24:00 PM via App

Swyper for the win :D

Jessaca Summers
  • Forum posts: 3

Oct 25, 2013, 10:10:47 AM via Website

I prefer Swype when I'm using the on-screen keyboard, but my phone has an external one so 99.9% of the time I'm using that one. (The other 0.1% isn't even for using Swype, it's for when I want to type in Japanese).

Kris Carlon

Oct 29, 2013, 9:02:32 PM via Website

That's a good point actually - the multiple language thing - because I add multiple dictionaries to my keyboard and then have to struggle when I'm typing in English with the occasional French word and lots of German words in the mix. But I have to give credit to SwiftKey, if you spend a couple hours at the beginning correcting it on the words you use it learns pretty quickly. I'm still coming to terms with how awesome the prediction can be. I usually just swipe my whole sentence rather than let it predict it for me, which has been spookily accurate when I make a point of looking at it instead of the keys! Another level of efficiency!