Google Nexus 7 (2013) — Install Android 4.4 KitKat on Nexus 7 (2013) Wi-Fi version ''Razor''

• Replies:3
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Nov 14, 2013, 3:28:43 PM via Website

Assuming you can't wait for the OTA firmware update, here's how to get KitKat on your new Nexus 7 (2013) with Wi-Fi, codenamed Razor. If you have any questions or problems, please ask them here.

Download ADB tools
Download Android 4.4 for the Nexus 7 - only if you have the current build version JSS15R.

Extract adb tools, navigate to adb-tools folder. In a blank area of the window, hold Shift and right click, select open command window here. Copy the KitKat firmware file into the adb-tools folder and rename it something like: nexus7-kitkat-ota.zip

Get your Nexus 7 into Recovery Mode. If you don't know how, follow these steps:
Turn it off.
Hold down Power and Volume Down button.
Select Recovery mode using the volume buttons, hit Power button to enter.
Once on the Android robot screen, press Power and Volume Up to get into Recovery Menu.
Select ''apply update from ADB'' and hit Power button to enter

Connect your Nexus 7 to your computer with a USB cable.

Go to the Command prompt window and type: adb sideload nexus7-kitkat-ota.zip

Let the firmware install, then restart by selecting ''reboot system now''.

Voila. All done. Check out our article on Google Search and the Google Experience Launcher to complete your KitKat transformation. (This step is also optional as the updates will be pushed out soon too) or just download the following APKs:

Download Google Search 3.1.8 APK

Download Google Experience Launcher APK

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jev Saladino
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 15, 2013, 2:30:13 PM via Website

Hey, Do I need to Root my Device?

Justin Bisong
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 16, 2013, 7:46:36 PM via Website

Hi Kris, thanks for this post.

I own a Google Nexus 7 (2013), but my build Number is not the same as the number you shared. What happens to other users like us, who have another kind of build?

Hope to hear from you real soon
Thanks.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Nov 19, 2013, 12:32:18 PM via Website

Hi @Justin, you can now grab all of the official factory images direct from the Google Developers site, so just flash the JSS15R firmware first, then proceed with the KitKat firmware.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting