Samsung's botched Android 4.3 update fiasco - share your problems, rants, feelings

• Replies:147
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Nov 21, 2013, 11:08:23 AM via Website

The Samsung Android 4.3 update for the Galaxy S3 and S4 has been one of the worst manufacturer updates ever.

The official update has caused many problem, including:

• Appalling battery life, even when charging
  • Screen blackouts
  • Voice recognition broken
  • Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting
  • Wi-Fi guest network login problems
  • Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks
  • Text messaging contact issues
  • Verizon car charger does not work
  • Mobile data icon missing
  • Music player self-launching
  • Bluetooth audio cutting out
  • Slower performance
  • Widget problems, Air View not working
  • Screen rotation broken

Share the problems you're experiencing (or not, if you're one of the lucky ones), any fixes you've found and what you think about Samsung's response to the problems you're facing.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

insaat muhendisi
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 21, 2013, 3:47:17 PM via Website

Kris Carlon

• Appalling battery life, even when charging
  • Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting
  • Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks
  • Slower performance

These problems heavily continues with 4.3 :( for Turkey 2013 November 4.3 I9500XXUEMJ8

— modified on Nov 21, 2013, 3:54:00 PM

Ronald Butts
  • Forum posts: 6

Nov 21, 2013, 4:41:11 PM via App

I have now had the 4.3 update on my S3 for two day now and no real problems, whew!! I have the T mobile T999 upgrade in the US. Only issue I have experienced is with one app that I get message the app has stopped (KP app has stopped). In my use so far the battery usage looks about the same as under 4.1.2. Most activities seem a bit more responsive than under 4.1.2.

David Shaw

Nov 21, 2013, 6:54:41 PM via Website

I was on Samsung site to ask about when we would see a patch for the S4 issues and the live chat person responded:

Visitor: I have the Galaxy S4 with Sprint service and recently downloaded the 4.3 Android update. I am experiencing multiple problems including intermittent black screen, bluetooth connection drops, wifi communication issues, music launch randomly, and 4G/3G constant switching. I researched and saw this is not uncommon after the update and want to know when a patch to resolve these issues is expected?
Kathy: I am sorry to know that you are facing issue with Galaxy S4 device after performing firmware update.
Kathy: I am sorry to inform you that no such issues have been reported on Samsung website. However, let us try few trouble shooting steps and check if issue persist.

Unbelievable!

Danny Lam

Nov 23, 2013, 8:17:58 PM via Website

• Appalling battery life, even when charging - Nope battery life even better with the update.
  • Screen blackouts - Haven't experienced a screen blackout.
  • Voice recognition broken - It works, maybe yours is broken?
  • Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting - Wifi as consistent as 4.2.2.
  • Wi-Fi guest network login problems - Nope
  • Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks - Nope when I'm on wifi, I'm on wifi, no 3G/4G being used.
  • Text messaging contact issues - Had the issue when I first upgraded to 4.3, but it seems to have resolved itself now.
  • Verizon car charger does not work - AT&T bitches!
  • Mobile data icon missing - This is missing when I upgraded, but I never used it so I never have cared for it.
  • Music player self-launching - I was afraid of this happening but nope.
  • Bluetooth audio cutting out - Haven't used bluetooth yet.
  • Slower performance - I think you misspelled faster.
  • Widget problems, Air View not working - Widgets work, Air View works.
  • Screen rotation broken - Screen rotates as it should.

Now the real question is wtf are you guys doing to your phones to where all these issues occur?! Jeez.

— modified on Nov 23, 2013, 8:21:32 PM

Hersey Purvis

Nov 24, 2013, 8:30:57 PM via Website

I received my 4.3 update a few days ago. I must say my s3 has become totally awesome. I was thinking of upgrading but after updates no way. I can move apps now and the phone is so fast and responsive. I hate it for you who had problems. But my device is even greater.

Kris Carlon

Nov 25, 2013, 10:18:51 AM via Website

@Hersey, that's good news for you! Not everyone is getting the issues which is very strange. Some in the AndroidPIT office have unusable S3's, some have better S3's. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason why some are affected badly and some positively. In any case, count yourself one of the lucky ones!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Adam Moore
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 25, 2013, 11:26:17 AM via Website

This update has really put me off Samsung, I will be going to another manufacturer for my next device.

Just some of the things that it caused:-
  • Not sending Texts/Messages
  • Resending messages at random momments
  • Battery drain
  • Mobile Data usage while on Wi-fi Network
  • App Freezes
  • Broken Updates
  • Random Slowdowns
  • Screen Rotation keeps switching off

The list goes on..

karlos jackal
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 25, 2013, 9:10:52 PM via App

just letting you all know that i reset my s3 to factory settings and when 3 rebooted me phone was 4.3 but without any lags etc this time. it comes up do you want to update but i havnt as it might wreck phone again so left it as it is since resetting. i hope whoever tries it that it also works for them and let me know if it does and before you do it make sure you save your phone numbers and photos etc. apps you can download again on play store and make sure you write or remember your passwords before resetting. to reset hold volume button the home button and the right button together for about ten seconds then the menu will appear

Kris Carlon

Jon Liegl

Nov 28, 2013, 8:05:54 PM via Website

The only issue with my S3 after updating to 4.3 is that my past downloads keep popping back up in my status bar. Other than that I've got no issues.

Vish JakkaRon Price

Ron Price

Nov 29, 2013, 9:58:44 AM via Website

hey there Jon Liegl I was reading your post and I was having the same issue with my GS3 after first receiving the update on Nov 22nd. on Friday I remembered from another post on another forum that someone mentioned clearing the Download cache by accessing menu and locating the icon called Downloads. I did this and my phantom download notification issue was resolved. maybe this could help.

— modified on Nov 29, 2013, 10:00:14 AM

HanaVish JakkaKris Carlon

Timothy Errington

Nov 29, 2013, 7:04:25 PM via Website

Jon Liegl
The only issue with my S3 after updating to 4.3 is that my past downloads keep popping back up in my status bar. Other than that I've got no issues.

I am experiencing exactly this same issue. Samsung Support had me try "wiping the cache" to no avail. Their next suggestion was a full factory reset which would delete all data, settings and downloaded apps. I passed.

Anyone else with this issue? Any fixes?

Timothy Errington

Nov 29, 2013, 7:18:34 PM via Website

Ron Price
hey there Jon Liegl I was reading your post and I was having the same issue with my GS3 after first receiving the update on Nov 22nd. on Friday I remembered from another post on another forum that someone mentioned clearing the Download cache by accessing menu and locating the icon called Downloads. I did this and my phantom download notification issue was resolved. maybe this could help.

Can you explain how to "access menu"? Or post a link to the forum you've mentioned.

Thanks

Vish Jakka

Nov 29, 2013, 7:36:30 PM via Website

Ron Price

Thanks Ron, this helped. Once I cleared list from the "Downloads" app I dont those periodic notifications.

Vish Jakka

Nov 29, 2013, 7:40:20 PM via Website

See if you have 'downloads' app on your phone. Clear list solved the problem for me.

Timothy Errington

Nov 29, 2013, 7:44:11 PM via Website

I think that worked. Thanks,

Dave

Dec 1, 2013, 10:51:10 PM via Website

Hey there, I just downloaded the the update for my S3 Galaxy Jelly Bean and I didn't have any problems. I am puzzled please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the update the same one we all receive, just by different providers? Why would some get bad updates and some good? Thanks for your time.

Kris Carlon

Dec 2, 2013, 4:28:40 PM via Website

Karma? Perhaps you've been particularly nice to puppies and old ladies @Dave? Each carrier makes their own modifications to what Samsung provides (who in turn modify what Google provides). As to why everyone on a carrier-branded device doesn't get the exact same problems, that's a mystery to me.

Sunny Kukreja

Dec 4, 2013, 11:00:53 AM via Website

• Very bad battery life
    • Poor performance . Takes too long than usual to perform
    • is there any one who knows by when we could get this problem solved ?

Kris Carlon

Dec 4, 2013, 12:30:34 PM via Website

Hi @Sunny, a new ''stable'' Android 4.3 patch has been released, but it could take a while to make it through the carriers an regions to your device. Keep your eyes peeled because we'll be posting updates on the rollout, but the fact Samsung is already done with it is a good thing.

eric wallace

Dec 4, 2013, 6:05:11 PM via App

Has anyone in the UK got this update yet.

Barb Kline-Dols
    • Forum posts: 4

Dec 4, 2013, 8:31:25 PM via Website

I Have the GS3 with AT&T. got the update 2 days ago. wish I never did!
    Problems with the Notifications pull down. It's showing all the updates that were done for 4.3. .I have cleared the cashe etc.... opened in Safe Mode... in settings/// downloads Forced stop....Every time I clean them, they come back within 5 minutes! Really sick of this! Was working with the Samsung Support page on Facebook trying different things, But Nothing is working to stop this! The 'updates' were no big deal for me, and I wish now I could go back to 4.1.2 . oh, and some of my 3rd party apps won't work anymore. Have contacted those developers.(especially Zedge!)

Andrew Befus

Dec 5, 2013, 12:14:19 AM via Website

I have a Note II - update hasn't installed yet, should I cancel it and stay with 4.1?

Tim O'Brien

Dec 5, 2013, 12:34:28 AM via Website

In addition to those items mentioned my phone constantly reboots itself. Rogers wants me to send my phone in to be flashed. Is there any point in doing this since they will just be putting 4.3 back on the device? Any idea when the fix will be pushed out to us poor suckers in Canada stuck with the bugs?

Barb Kline-Dols

Dec 5, 2013, 2:02:17 AM via Website

The top notch at Samsung just got back to me on this issue. It fixed this problem :-)
    If anyone has this problem, here's what to do:
    Clear data of Download Manager at Application Manager of Settings

1. Tap the Settings

2. Select the Application manager

3. Scroll to the ALL tab

4. In ALL tab, select the Download Manager

5. Tap the Clear data

Kris Carlon

Irwin Busk

Dec 5, 2013, 5:18:30 AM via Website

OK,
    Sorry to hear about others serious troubles. Mine have not been so bad. I cleared the download manager, as advised in many other posts. The thing that has been bothering me is simple, yet VERY annoying. With my US Cellular GS3 placed face down, it will occasionally flash the camera LED, (the white "flash" led beside the lens). I have tried to determine if this is due to a new notification, or some other event. So far, No luck correlating this.

Anybody seen this behavior? So far, that's the only thing I can really complain about....

Thanks!

Irwin

kent fong

Dec 5, 2013, 6:34:08 AM via Website

yes...i gotten my S4 updated some 4 weeks back and it has been showing me "Security information" all this while it says "An application attempted to access system on your device without authorisation.This attempt has been block" every day this message pops up and was unable to remove hope the newer version could help.Wonder when it will arrived to Singapore really annoying though the message will not harm the phone..same issue with my Note 3 i am still waiting for the update to baseband MJ7 which my wife had and it solve the problem...cheers

Kris Carlon

Dec 5, 2013, 11:20:44 AM via Website

Hey @Andrew - that is entirely up to you. I would suggest having a read around on the net to see if Note 2 owners with your carrier are generally pleased or fuming with the update. Having said that, some get lucky when everyone else suffers too, so it's up to you. I would say if you are happy enough with 4.1 then stick with it a bit longer until you know everything has settled down, because if you install the update and everything goes pear shaped you could end up with a paralyzed phone until it gets patched. Even the ''stable'' patch is causing problems...

@Tim, the stable update for 4.3 is supposed to be rolling out now. But the early reports seem to indicate it's just as problematic as the original. Well, not AS problematic, but far from a stable fix.

— modified on Dec 5, 2013, 11:22:12 AM

Barb Kline-Dols

Dec 5, 2013, 5:45:06 PM via Website

TO Irwin..............with the new update this is an option now to have it flash for notifications. I find it very annoying! go to settings/my device/Accessibility scroll down to Hearing. there you will see Flash Notification. Un check that :-)

— modified on Dec 5, 2013, 5:46:13 PM

Kris Carlon

nancy kane

Dec 5, 2013, 9:09:10 PM via Website

I am having this issue too, have you come up with any solutions to make it stop?

Nicole C

Dec 6, 2013, 3:12:07 PM via Website

I, too, am having the same issues as well as all my music disappeared. I just did the upgrade 2 days ago, so not sure how that was possible if the update was pulled. :mad:

Brandy Davis

Dec 7, 2013, 12:57:37 AM via Website

I have a samsung galaxy note 3. I use facebook through the browser because I don't like the fb app. I have been informed by samsung that the emoticons in facebook messaging does not work "is not compatible with 4.3 update"

Bob Balser
    • Forum posts: 5

Dec 8, 2013, 1:09:56 PM via Website

Today I had message SD card removed,this happened with first 4.3 update but Samsung had alledgedly sent 4.3 correction update week ago.Battery life still useless

Lena Shriver

Dec 9, 2013, 4:23:02 AM via Website

THANK YOU! Ron Price, This worked on my Sprint S3!
    No more constant downloads.

— modified on Dec 9, 2013, 4:26:39 AM

Anders Bagger
    • Forum posts: 57

Dec 9, 2013, 6:36:52 AM via Website

Have not seen any update in denmark at this moment.
    I can for that reason, not say anything at all.
    Maby we have to wait untill after new year in Denmark.

Michele Dowdy

Dec 11, 2013, 5:37:07 PM via Website

Clearing the download cache/data worked for me so far. No phantom download notifications on my S3.

— modified on Dec 11, 2013, 5:37:39 PM

HowDoYouAndroid.com
    • Forum posts: 145

Dec 11, 2013, 5:44:02 PM via Website

Mine's definitely a lot more under control than the average seems to be, but I'm pretty horrified by the battery life. Like down to 60% half an hour after being fully charged, sometimes. But I think I'm lucky -- nothing else so very disastrous.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Clifford Wiebe

Dec 11, 2013, 5:52:27 PM via Website

Dummy question. How can I check if I have the patch update?

RJameson

Dec 12, 2013, 8:06:12 PM via Website

@Andrew - I've got a Note 2 (unlocked N7100 version) that I recently updated to 4.3 and wish I never would have. I encountered some of the same problems listed here immediately after doing the update. I would echo Kris' suggestion to wait it out for a bit. Even if the update would have went smoothly, the new features in 4.3 were of no use to me. I was primarily doing the update for performance improvements, and I ended up with just the opposite.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Dec 12, 2013, 9:06:43 PM via Website

Clifford Wiebe
    Dummy question. How can I check if I have the patch update?

I think it's all push upgrades that you shouldn't have to manually check for. Your phone will nag you about upgrading! If it's not doing that, you've probably gotten all the updates they've sent your way for now. If you feel like checking manually, go to Settings>About Phone>Software Update then check for update.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Kris Carlon

Kris Carlon

Dec 13, 2013, 12:34:27 PM via Website

Hi @Nicole, did you have your music stored on your internal or external memory? If it was on your external card it shouldn't ever be affected by any updating or resetting. An update shouldn't (in theory) affect any data anyway. If it's still on the card, you may just need to refresh the directory the phone is looking in.

HendrikJB
    • Forum posts: 7

Dec 13, 2013, 12:46:19 PM via Website

And Samsung is STILL botching it as many users still have`nt got the 4.3 update as "Your device has the Latest Update". That "Latest Update" being 4.1.2.

I`m now getting to the stage where I`m think of getting a witchdoctor to put the pox on Samsung :-(

Kris Carlon

Harold S

Dec 13, 2013, 1:20:34 PM via Website

Ron Price

I tried this and it seems to work (so far)

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Dec 13, 2013, 3:17:18 PM via Website

Bob Balser
    Today I had message SD card removed,this happened with first 4.3 update but Samsung had alledgedly sent 4.3 correction update week ago.Battery life still useless
    I got this message yesterday... hadn't ever before. :-P

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Julian Bland

Dec 13, 2013, 7:46:26 PM via Website

i updated my i9502 from samsung and have had no problems

RMack

Dec 14, 2013, 2:28:12 AM via Website

A 'system update' notification first appeared in my status bar of my SS G. NOTE 2 , yesterday afternoon. U S est.. been reading alot about the havoc it has been wreaking on SG s3 ( which I also have... ( I've been following what I could, on androidpit & Drippier etc, (both unrooted btw ) after a few hours of flip-flopping with should I or not, based on hearing Samsung making 'honest' effort to stabilize the SG s3, I thought most of the problems were relegated to the s3, because for over a month s3 seemed to dominate the head lines of this huge head ache... I backed it up, but am experiencing some of everyone's problem with this 'downgrade'... between the lock & home screens changing when I turned the screen off, to it doing another - same 4.3 update by itself 2hrs later... wtf??? A phantom punch? A 64gb top shelf Sandisk micro sd, topically spazzed out now, like a bad acid trip! Went into the Google play store to get back a couple decent purchased 'tool ' apparently... didn't ask for $ ,it recognized my device, but they won't download & 'stick & some bs error code keeps coming up, wtf? AGAIN! Kinda have it put back together, with free versions of the apps I'm trying to get back... then again, FRANKENSTEIN was put back toheather too! That didn't go well either!! wtf? AGAIN!!! WEENY into all settings (slept less than an hour because of this SHITE!!!!! Still got about 9 months left on my '2 year sentence'. from Sprint, haha... .was still liking this phone/ JB 4.1.2 os... like a kid at camp, it was still fun... now it's like effin doing 'hard time'.... I don't mean like a bitch session like the apple heads with their ios 7 update..... this new jellybean os was not an update, but a blind date --- a very very bad one -- from Hell!!! Now, like I said earlier - I also have a SG s3, so this afternoon, what do I see??? A notification, for system update.... R U KIDDIN ME, SAMSUNG???? IF U had a 'friend ' set u up with a coo-coo 'blind date. Then they suggest a sibling. a day or 2 laterms, knowing u were seriously TRAUMATIZED, U WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM, TELLING THAT 'FRIEND' WHERE TO GO, & WHAT TO DO WHEN THEY GET THERE!!!!!! HA! SAMSUNG---. IF U DON'T MAKE IT RIGHT... WITH THE QUICKNESS..... YOU MITE AS WELL SEND A TUCK LOAD OF SERIES MONEY TO... LG, HTC, SONY, u NAME IT.... MIGHT AS WELL THROW IN SOME RUPEES OR WHATEVER, TO BLACKBERRY, WHILE UR AT IT!!! IFNOTHIN HAPPENS SOON, MANY PEOPLE WILL BE GETTING OFF THIS NASTY RIDE ASAP!!! THE WHISPERS ARE GETTING LOUDER!!!! DON'T BE A SLUMLORD ---- FIX THE DAMN HOUSE --- SAMSLUM!!! THIS SHIT ISN'T FUNNY ANYMORE..... SEE YA IN DIVORCE COURT!!

— modified on Dec 14, 2013, 2:39:25 AM

HendrikJB

Dec 15, 2013, 4:57:01 PM via Website

Prophetic Words and a New name.

It (Samsung) must be renamed as SamGONE!!! as they are still botching the 4.3 update to S3`s which is still the most prolific Android phone out there.

So Be GONE SamGONE!!!! You`re overstaying your welcome in too many places one of which is South Africa!!!

Be GONE!!!

HendrikJB

Dec 15, 2013, 4:59:46 PM via Website

See my Posts about them (the "S"-word) being renamed as SamGONE. So please SamGONE be GONE!!!

— modified on Dec 15, 2013, 5:00:31 PM

jackbarxiao

Dec 16, 2013, 10:49:32 AM via Website

google earth!!!

Anders Bagger
    • Forum posts: 57

Dec 16, 2013, 12:44:38 PM via Website

So far:

Sammobile has the 4.3 update for the following models in there firmware section:

i9300: United kingdom only: Non branded and vodafone
    i9305: Germany (vodafone and non branded), plus Spain vodafone only.

All other S3's are 4.1.2 only as for now.

— modified on Dec 16, 2013, 12:45:00 PM