Google Nexus 5 — How to Factory Reset the Nexus 5

• Replies:10
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Nov 26, 2013, 4:17:40 PM via Website

Performing a Factory Reset on your device is very easy. The difference between a Factory Reset and a Hard Reset is:

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings but leaves the contents of your internal SD Card intact (not that you have one in your Nexus 5).

Hard Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Clear? Ok, let's proceed with the Factory Reset of a Google Nexus 5 from within the menu settings:

Settings > Back Up & Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Phone > Erase Everything.

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first! In the Factory Reset screen you also have the option to Backup My Data and Auto Restore. These are good options to tick before you Factory Reset if you're not too sure how to do this on your own.

If you're at all paranoid about your SIM card just take it out before you do the Factory Reset.

Remember sometimes you don't even need to go this far to solve general performance problems. First of all try just turning your phone off for a while, or removing the battery entirely for a few minutes. Sometimes something as simple as that is enough to clear up simple problems.

But if you've tried all of these methods and are still having problems, you can try a Hard Reset, the instructions for which are here.

— modified on Feb 11, 2014, 6:38:56 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Adam Smith

Vivek Sharma
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 5, 2014, 5:19:39 AM via Website

My nexus 5 is not turning on and i have never backup its contents so please help me to save my data....

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Mar 5, 2014, 2:44:45 PM via Website

Hi Vivek!

You might want to check out another forum thread we have on the same topic on how to rescue my deleted Android phone photos. You can install Android Data Recovery to do this. There is a free trial version.
Here is an article we wrote on the matter of how to recover lost data on Android (rooted or not).

These solutions should help you solve your problem! Let us know what happens.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Mar 7, 2014, 2:49:40 PM via Website

Hi @Vivek, first you need to figure out if it's not turning on or if the display is not working. Try a different USB cable, adapter plug and wall socket and see if you can power up. You may also have a problem with the microUSB connection in the device and the unit has simply run out of power.

Otherwise, you may have a display problem which is a hardware issue you'd need to contact Google/your retailer or a repair shop about.

Assuming your device actually has power just connect it to your computer and see if you can access the contents of the SD card. You can also use recovery software if you think your memory has been corrupted. Unfortunately, if you haven't done up a backup when the device was running, you can only get the stuff off it that you are able to access on the memory card, like messages, photos, contacts etc.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Adam Smith

charlie huang
  • Forum posts: 4

Mar 17, 2014, 7:57:44 AM via Website

Quite easy man, just follow this : Settings > Back Up & Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Phone > Erase Everything

ToharEider

Jul 8, 2014, 8:45:59 AM via Website

When lost data of your android phones, you can first check whether you have backed them up. If so, you can surely recover deleted files on Android phones easily; if not, you can appeal to it to recover your data.
Hope it can help you!

Alex123

Sep 1, 2014, 2:24:15 PM via Website

expert question

airplane mode active
usb debugging off
teamwin custom rom installed

android devide manager dont work because no signal
usb delete does not work

how can i wipe my phone ( DISPLAY IS BROKEN )
i cannot input anything over the touchscreen
i hardly see anything whats currently happening display totally crushed

Klavs P.
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 2, 2016, 10:07:45 AM via Website

thank you for the useful tip, I also interested for the next two things:
1)What should I do if I need to make a factory reset but without restoring all photos and videos after this?
2) What to do if I need to sell the phone, for example and I need to delete all from it and make it looking as if he had just bought?

Werf Abb
  • Forum posts: 22

Nov 11, 2016, 4:19:26 AM via Website

There are si many solutions for data rescue, you should have sync you device with your gmail account, you can get back you data from it. If you need to recover them from your device internal memory, just go to download a recommended Android recovery third party tool.

— modified on Nov 14, 2016, 7:16:04 AM

Yppsrer
  • Forum posts: 11

May 19, 2017, 5:19:57 AM via Website

I don't usually factory reset my phone , more and more people reset their phone for wipe data or clean up phone space , but the phone data still can be restored on phone again by using effective tool if you want to erase all data from Android phone.

— modified on Jun 7, 2017, 5:03:39 AM