Play store says "Installed" and won't let me

• Replies:25
Old Nick
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 16, 2014, 12:13:42 AM via Website

After I have installed (or TRIED to install) an app, the Play Store will flag that app as "Installed".This is not always true, but in m ost cases it's harmless. BUT

For some apps (I have struck 3 so far) the Play Store says "Installed" and refuses to let me install that app. Even if the app install failed in the first place, usually because the download failed, I am still blocked.

Even if the app HAS installed, this will not allow updates etc.

What is the story here? I have contacted the app developers and they do not seem to understand, or acknowledge the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Nick

— modified on Jan 16, 2014, 12:14:06 AM

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jan 16, 2014, 12:38:59 AM via App

normally the inability to update happens when an app has been installed from an unknown source, i.e. not Google play but maybe from the AndroidPit app store, for example. What phone and android version are you using?

Sinkster

Old Nick

Jan 16, 2014, 2:32:18 AM via Website

Thanks for the reply.

All these downloads or attempts have been in the Playstore. Wouldn't that be needed for the Play Store to know I had installed it?...or is this a glitch in my own system? That seems weird, because the apps are marked "Installed" as soon as the download starts, even when the3 download fails.

Also, this happens on only a very few sites (3 of doze3ns I have used) in the Play Store. They all show "Installed" but most do not block a reinstall anyway.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab. Android 4.2.2

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Jan 16, 2014, 3:38:56 AM via Website

The first solution that pops into my mind involves root (as it usually does with me). I think Titanium Backup (a root app) will allow you to disconnect apps from your play store history, which would probably then allow you to reinstall whatever it is that's giving you trouble.

I guess the big gun would be to factory reset your tablet, if it comes down to that. With that done, you could reinstall everything because the Play Store would clearly see that the apps aren't on your device.

--I do a good impression of myself--

Old Nick

Jan 16, 2014, 3:44:07 AM via Website

Thanks for the reply.

These solutions sound a bit extreme, given that it's only happened with 3 apps.

What is a root app? I know I have had a fwe apps tell me they could not work because of needing access to the root and that I would have to root my tablet (which is a disturbing thought however you take it, IMO).

Nick

Joel W.

Jan 16, 2014, 11:27:54 PM via Website

I would agree, they are pretty extreme options. I suppose it depends on how much you need those apps to be installed and stay up to date. It's certainly a weird problem, one I've never run across before, which is why I only have limited suggestions.

A root app ... the best way to describe "root" in general is that it's the difference between being a building's tenant or its superintendent. With root, you have keys to everything on your tablet, but you can also cause a lot of damage if you don't know what you're doing. Root apps usually will do things your phone can't/won't do normally, everything from changing your boot animation, backing up your apps, and deleting systems apps, to completely revising your Android experience.

For me, I got into rooting by researching it and following directions. It's not that hard if you follow things to the letter (and have some patience and spare time).

For a casual user, I'd say it's too big a gun to bother with.

Just one other thought, have you tried accessing the Play Store on your computer and seeing what the app install status is there? Sometimes you can order the computer to send the app to your phone.

Old Nick

Jan 20, 2014, 1:32:17 AM via Website

Sorry. I thought I had replied to this. Thanks for all the great input! It's always great to get such thoughtful input. I will try to do it justice and address what ytou are saying.

So a root app can access the base of the computer and "do things". Can be dangerous but not extreme....I have a jistorey of hacking around on PCs, so I am used to the idea of low(er) level access. However regarding the Android I have until now been a casual user, in that it's just my machine to access the web, write docs etc.

Do I need to root the machine for that root app to work, or does it do the nuts and bolts itself? I ask because I have had "softer" apps, such as sync time on the Web, that fail on my machine because they have no root access and would require that the machine be rooted before they can work.

I am on a computer, not a phone (sorry for the lack of info, now redressed I hope) but I will try logging in on my other half's android to see if I can check out your idea.

Nick

Joel W.

Jan 20, 2014, 7:51:01 PM via Website

Depends on the root app as to whether it will work without root. Some are dual usage, like certain task killer/cleaner apps that can (with root) freeze apps and delete system apps, but without root just will be task killers.

Other root apps, like say, ROM Toolbox, will never work unless you have root.

If you have a history of hacking on PCs, you'll probably be fine with Android rooting. It's basically just a matter of following directions (to the letter) and making sure you have a lot of patience to try alternate options if one fails. I have no knowledge of programming, but I like to think I'm pretty good at tinkering with root on Android devices. (Come to think of it, I've rooted all of mine except my HP Slatebook, which has proven impossible to root because it has no computer connection.)

Basically, if you enjoy tinkering with technology and want more flexibility, go ahead and research rooting. It makes for a much leaner and (in my opinion) more useful device.

Sok Savuth
  • Forum posts: 10

Jan 24, 2014, 11:47:10 AM via Website

I have some experiences using Sam Sung Smart Phone with Android application. I also used to face this kind of problems so far, but I have solved this problem and it does not happen to my phone anymore.

I would suggest you to swift off (Totally Power Off) your phone for few second and restart it again, then it will be fine. using Smart Phone NOT Iphone or Sam Sung or any other smart phone. I would advise to switch it off at least once a week OR if possible 3 days once. By doing this is to clean all the applications which are currently runs on your phone while you are using it.

Please think the way you are using PC or Note book. it's the same.

Any problem, please contact me via sok.savuth@gmail.com

good luck and hope it will be fine.

Old Nick
After I have installed (or TRIED to install) an app, the Play Store will flag that app as "Installed".This is not always true, but in m ost cases it's harmless. BUT

For some apps (I have struck 3 so far) the Play Store says "Installed" and refuses to let me install that app. Even if the app install failed in the first place, usually because the download failed, I am still blocked.

What is the story here? I have contacted the app developers and they do not seem to understand, or acknowledge the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Nick

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jan 28, 2014, 9:04:14 AM via Website

Sok Savuth

I have some experiences using Sam Sung Smart Phone with Android application. I also used to face this kind of problems so far, but I have solved this problem and it does not happen to my phone anymore.

I would suggest you to swift off (Totally Power Off) your phone for few second and restart it again, then it will be fine. using Smart Phone NOT Iphone or Sam Sung or any other smart phone. I would advise to switch it off at least once a week OR if possible 3 days once. By doing this is to clean all the applications which are currently runs on your phone while you are using it.

Please think the way you are using PC or Note book. it's the same.

Any problem, please contact me via sok.savuth@gmail.com

good luck and hope it will be fine.

Old Nick

Thanks for any help.

Nick

Well, i think you should try this thing but again i would say if you are experiencing the problem again and again and you still have an active warranty better to go to the nearest support centre because they are going to fix it on the permanent basis and yes you could find a number tricks but still i will say that better to sort this problem out permanently rather than trying the temporary solutions!!

Alejandro Arreola-Torres
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 9, 2014, 6:42:47 AM via Website

I have the same problem, I have tried to install 3 games directly from Google play, the games are Clash of Clans, Plants vs Zombies 2 and Skyblock Island. All those apps, I clicked install, but then it told me, "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later." Why is that?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jul 9, 2014, 7:35:43 AM via Website

Hi Alejandro,

It looks as if you're experiencing problems with purchasing apps (because this errors happens usually when you are purchasing or trying to download apps), try going to the application manager and clear the data and the cache stored by the application, then again try downloading the apps, if that works out then well and good. But if that doesn't head over to the settings "account and sync" remove the gmail account associated and then again add the same gmail account, I am sure this time it has to start working ! Better try it out and let me know if you encounter any problems...(thinking)

Bob Zeilstra

Nov 6, 2015, 3:55:49 AM via Website

I did an installation of a paid version of an app which I couldn't find anywhere on my phone. No home screen link. No app anywhere on the phone. After reading the app description I discovered I needed to install the free version of the app to actually do anything. After doing that and a reboot everything works fine. The app runs ad-free.

The app I was installing was Podcast Addict which I highly recommend.

ray bonne

Dec 27, 2015, 4:10:18 AM via Website

factory reset doesnt work. thats what got rid of all my apps, but, when I tried to reinstall the ones I want they still say installed. WPS Office in my case.

Juana Castro

Jan 28, 2016, 12:03:02 AM via Website

Hi Nick, Im having the exact same problem and I was wondering If you figured out how to fix it?

Thanks!

Alissa
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 14, 2016, 5:32:06 AM via Website

If you have purchased a new device u need to add it to your google account. Once recognised your apps will install automatically.

Alissa
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 14, 2016, 5:37:32 AM via Website

It will show you what apps u have installed on other devices. Under My Apps. Just cycle through again and click to choose apps you want on new device. Hope this helps.

Danilo Schembri

Mar 4, 2016, 9:06:18 PM via Website

Hi,
Same problem here.

This is how I solved: go to Accounts and force synchronization of "App data" for all your registered Google account.

That's it.

Doug Voss

Pyrognomic Software
  • Forum posts: 20

Mar 9, 2016, 5:31:19 PM via Website

I've seen this happening on recently released apps. Also it can be a cache problem as well. Try clearing the play store app cache

Chris Cortese

May 11, 2016, 11:44:35 PM via Website

Thanks for the ideas but I've tried all of the above and this is not working for. My situation might be a bit different though:

I'm working on my first app and trying to get push notifications to work. My app is in alpha stage. This morning I downloaded it 2 or 3 times and in between each time I uninstalled and installed a local version from dev, because I'm debugging. So far can't get any push notifications working either way, but now I can't even try to run the published alpha app because Google Play will not let me install it again even though it is apparently nowhere to be found on my phone.

Any ideas?

Dean Smith

May 19, 2016, 12:57:19 AM via Website

Hi Joel,

Could I ask you - I live and teach English in China :-) I bought my phone in China (a legit and established store), but there are some apps I can't uninstall, like the default internet browser. After turning off 'do not allow unknown apps' (or whatever), I still can't download or uninstall much.

Is rooting one's phone really tampering with it? Could it be a risk? Or no harm really?

I'd appreciate your advice : )
Dean

jon jonsson

Jun 19, 2016, 12:43:58 PM via Website

I had the same problem while using Play Store through Firefox, but when I used the Play Store app everything started downloading.

Mark Moncure

Mark Moncure

Jun 27, 2016, 3:50:09 AM via Website

This is what worked for me. On Firefox, in Play Store the app download was interrupted but it still showed "Installed". Tried clearing the cache, rebooting the phone, syncing my Google account, etc. Finally saw Jon Jonsson's post, went to the Play Store app on my phone and the app downloaded and installed just fine.

Shinyo Free

Oct 7, 2016, 6:03:03 AM via Website

I went to the play store on my phone instead of PC and it let me install.

Tom Vanheems

Apr 18, 2017, 4:23:51 PM via Website

I finally managed to fix this simply by going to the Play Store on the device and finding the app in the library. It seems that as the install failed, it considered it an uninstall, and hence was listed in the library. I reinstalled from there.

Teresa Hill

Jan 26, 2018, 1:13:05 AM via Website

FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!! ok so I have been trying to install the free Netflix app for months and when I click on "download" it takes me to the Google play store. Frustratingly, every time it won't let me click the "install" bar because it says "already installed on your device." I tried everything I could, from powering off to going through all my app caches etc.

HERE'S HOW I FINALLY FIXED IT: I went to my gmail account settings on my phone, and realized I had two emails syncing to my one phone. My daughter checked her gmail on my phone at some point, and I never thought about it again. I deleted her account which unsynced her apps, and VOILA!! Hope this helps.