Samsung Galaxy Note 3 — How to Stop KitKat Update ....

• Replies:27
Jim Andrews
  • Forum posts: 4

Mar 29, 2014, 7:52:11 AM via Website

I spoke with Samsung Technical Support and they told me there is no way to get rid of the KitKat Update that I already downloaded to my Note 3. The Update is NOT yet Installed .....

I've been getting Notifications asking me if I want to Update or Postpone. I have been postponing the Update, but now I can no longer Postpone the Update.

Is there a way to get rid of the Update File which I already downloaded to my Note 3, before it Automatically Updates .... or am I stuck with KitKat no matter what?

Tech Support told me to Backup whatever I can ..... I thought the Update was JellyBean. I did NOT want KitKat ... !!!

If I'm stuck with KitKat, how can I Backup third party apps, and also Backup Nova Launcher Prime Settings and TouchWiz Launcher Settings. I have spent a lot of time creating numerous folders with all my app, and even Shortcuts. I hope I do not have to go back to the PlayStore and download so many Apps all over again ......

I have already moved all the Apps that I can to the SD card, but many Apps cannot be moved to the SD card.

Help .... !!!!!

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Mar 31, 2014, 8:09:12 AM via Website

Well, I've just onto this thread for asking you some question other than answering, Why don't you want the KitKat update there are thousands of users who want to get their device updated to KitKat and your denying it !! I would suggest you to update it with the power of KitKat you could experience true power of Android and yes not to mention that you will be getting all the latest features like good battery support, immersive mode etc.... If you still want to remain on the Jellybean then lets us exchange our devices I have tab2 which is not going to get the KitKat update and will remain on Android 4.2.2 JellyBean. I was wondering if you could .... :lol:

Dvoraak
  • Forum posts: 86

Apr 1, 2014, 3:40:33 AM via Website

I don't know of a way to preserve your folder system. I use Nova too and it's backup setting seems mostly useless to me and if your system is wiped, it gets wiped as well. For the rest there are many backup options. I'd suggest Go Backup or Titanium Backup if you want the backup on your ext sd card. G Cloud is a good cloud backup. Good luck.

Dvoraak
  • Forum posts: 86

Apr 1, 2014, 2:18:48 PM via Website

@John - Looked to me like the user was asking a 2 part question. Backing up and delaying. Looks like he's got the delaying part covered but now I just remembered....

If you're on 4.3 Jelly Bean you may be able to stop the update with App Ops. Download one of the various App Ops permission managers and then disable your update software's permissions. It worked for me in the past but I didn't already have the update downloaded. Best idea I've got for an indefinite update delay though. I don't think it'll work with any earlier Android versions.

Gwen Miller
  • Forum posts: 10

Apr 1, 2014, 2:57:48 PM via Website

I can pretty well understand why someone doesn't want the kitkat update, I don't want it either. But why did you download it in the first place?
Everybody behaves as if kitkat was the best Android version ever. I have got far too much data on my galaxy s3 to be able to deal with an Android version that doesn't allow you to use your external sd card. It seems to me that most users use very little memory. What's the use of a smartphone with which you can only choose between four or five of the apps you can get, because you have a device with which you can either use google maps or play a game or take photos instead of being able to do anything you want. Thus I am quite happy with jelly bean (4.3).

Ken Bee
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 2, 2014, 8:10:16 PM via Website

Jim Andrews
I spoke with Samsung Technical Support and they told me there is no way to get rid of the KitKat Update that I already downloaded to my Note 3. The Update is NOT yet Installed .....

I've been getting Notifications asking me if I want to Update or Postpone. I have been postponing the Update, but now I can no longer Postpone the Update.

Is there a way to get rid of the Update File which I already downloaded to my Note 3, before it Automatically Updates .... or am I stuck with KitKat no matter what?

Tech Support told me to Backup whatever I can ..... I thought the Update was JellyBean. I did NOT want KitKat ... !!!

If I'm stuck with KitKat, how can I Backup third party apps, and also Backup Nova Launcher Prime Settings and TouchWiz Launcher Settings. I have spent a lot of time creating numerous folders with all my app, and even Shortcuts. I hope I do not have to go back to the PlayStore and download so many Apps all over again ......

I have already moved all the Apps that I can to the SD card, but many Apps cannot be moved to the SD card.

Help .... !!!!!
I have the same problem, KitKat 4.2.2 has been downloaded to my phone and now it keeps asking me to Install. I am happy with my phone as it is and have quite a few Apps loaded on to my external SD card. Please is there anyone out there that knows how to dissmiss this update for good.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Apr 4, 2014, 6:04:39 PM via Website

Hey @Ken and @Jim, the only way I know of to block an already downloaded OTA update is if you have root. Because you've already got the OTA you obviously are not rooted, so now might be a good time to consider it.

If you want to root your Note 3, just check out the following article: https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-root-the-galaxy-note-3-n900-and-n9005

...and then install a root file manager like ES Root Explorer, locate the OTA file and delete it. Then reboot and accept the install prompt if it still comes up. Because you've deleted the OTA file nothing will happen.

Of course, rooting your device will void your warranty, so it's up to you just how badly you want to avoid KitKat.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

B. Ferguson
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 6, 2014, 6:05:30 PM via Website

Yes, but is there a way (even with a rooted GN3) to prevent the firmware update from downloading in the first place? It seems that there is not. :angry:

Omar Combet

Apr 19, 2014, 2:38:23 AM via Website

Dvoraak

If you're on 4.3 Jelly Bean you may be able to stop the update with App Ops. Download one of the various App Ops permission managers and then disable your update software's permissions. It worked for me in the past but I didn't already have the update downloaded. Best idea I've got for an indefinite update delay though. I don't think it'll work with any earlier Android versions.

------

My Note 3 is in the mail and I don't want it to update to KitKat. For the only reason that I have verizon unlimited data and tether my device and use a boatload of data. I read KitKat does not allow FoxFi to share wifi. Has anyone tried this method, using an App Ops app to block the update? Does anyone know which app works, and what the feature to disable is called? Appreciate any help...

14u2c=====>

Jun 1, 2014, 5:06:05 PM via Website

Because of rooting abilities with 4.3....you can't root u r phone with 4.4 kitkat

mm007
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 7, 2014, 3:03:07 PM via Website

Just Disable "Software Update" from settings.
Setting > Application manager > All apps > "Software update" click " Disable".
Then click "Force Stop" and clear Cache , Data.

— modified on Jun 7, 2014, 3:17:46 PM

Cheryl Pannone

Jun 7, 2014, 9:05:22 PM via Website

My son had the misfortune of installing after the software update automatically downloaded. First what ever occurred his SD card was no longer recognized and continually tried to reload, which resulted in really fast battery drain. His phone is still working but we are hoping that the bugs in kitkat will be repaired and there will be a patch download soon.. The kitkat update downloaded to my phone automatically last week, I will not install it. Even though it is not installed I have encountered the Sd card problem, so I removed it. Went to sprint they said they'd repair it for 75$. Not doing that either.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jun 10, 2014, 5:36:22 AM via Website

Cheryl Pannone

My son had the misfortune of installing after the software update automatically downloaded. First what ever occurred his SD card was no longer recognized and continually tried to reload, which resulted in really fast battery drain. His phone is still working but we are hoping that the bugs in kitkat will be repaired and there will be a patch download soon.. The kitkat update downloaded to my phone automatically last week, I will not install it. Even though it is not installed I have encountered the Sd card problem, so I removed it. Went to sprint they said they'd repair it for 75$. Not doing that either.

kitkat have a huge battery drain problem and the worst thing is that you cannot downgrade
go to recovery and clear cache ,this can help a little bit. .

Ready To Help You.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jun 10, 2014, 7:33:02 AM via Website

@mobile crackers: I have been hearing that this battery drain problem is solved with the 4.4.3 KitKat update. Last night I have googling round and I can't remember actually which site was that but their user are calming that they have seen improvement in the battery life. I can't bet on this but I think somewhere something has been fixed. KitKat version is not that much popular like Jellybean because of some bugs, I know I am talking too much ahead but lets just hope new version has something more interesting for us. :)

Deactivated Account

Jun 10, 2014, 7:56:25 AM via Website

John Farrell

@mobile crackers: I have been hearing that this battery drain problem is solved with the 4.4.3 KitKat update. Last night I have googling round and I can't remember actually which site was that but their user are calming that they have seen improvement in the battery life. I can't bet on this but I think somewhere something has been fixed. KitKat version is not that much popular like Jellybean because of some bugs, I know I am talking too much ahead but lets just hope new version has something more interesting for us. :)

may be new android version will solve all the problems. lets hope the best

Ready To Help You.

Bradfords Controlbyforce

Jun 10, 2014, 7:03:18 PM via Website

Just got new phone did the update and there is a glitch in the 4.4 that prevents you from getting pop3 over data connection other than Wi-Fi. I have traded my phone which i might add i paid full retail for to keep my unlimited data with Verizon for a new one already as verizon how has no idea how to fix the issue. Samsung however is aware of the issue and has no plans to fix it any time soon. Updates force you to buy new phones also my Droid Bionic was a great phone never had any issues until the forced update made the phone unusable by taxing the crap out of it like trying to run windows 95 on a 3.1 computer. If you buy your phone you should be able to keep updates from happening and there has to be someone that can help i am going to trade this phone yet again for a new one and do what every i can to postpone the update and if i have to will do every 14 days until they either fix the issue or give the owner of the devices the ability to choose.

Firefishe

Jun 11, 2014, 6:32:18 AM via Website

mm007

I do this, but the Force Stop and Stop buttons are grayed out, so I can't do anything.

Firefishe

Jun 11, 2014, 6:34:03 AM via Website

And how does one find the OTA file? Do you know how many directories I have on my N900A? Hundreds!

Deactivated Account

Jun 11, 2014, 7:20:06 AM via App

In this case, the only way to block ota update is to root your phone but rooting Will void the warranty in 4.4.

Ready To Help You.

mm007
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 15, 2014, 6:12:56 PM via Website

Firefishe

mm007

I do this, but the Force Stop and Stop buttons are grayed out, so I can't do anything.

Did you tried clearing cache and data?

— modified on Jun 15, 2014, 6:15:01 PM

Pat Doyle

Jun 18, 2014, 7:55:10 PM via Website

Theres a number of things you could do. You could saferoot your device and go into it through adb and do

adb shell "su -c am force-stop com.motorola.blur.updater"
adb shell "su -c pm disable com.motorola.blur.updater"

all that does is supress the update so its not going to annoy you anymore. If you accidently updated to KK you can download the stock firmware online and erase your boot, system and flash stock onto it. If you just want to keep root just update your phone to KK and download geohot towelroot its the easiest thing, and motopoc if you wanna unlock your bootloader

Asmodeus Tobit

Jun 18, 2014, 8:12:53 PM via Website

We don't want it updated because updates do not help anything..
they merely change the way you were used to the phone.

why does kkitkait now change the colors on the notification bar to white?
I've been looking at colored icons for a year...and they decided they wanted to change the look of my phone.
don't they anything better to do?

Why I get in my car, I like where my speedometer and gages are...I like the color...
I don't want to get in the car every day and find that Volvo has decided to put my speedometer on the other side....or change its color..

leave shit the way it was. Updates should be for fixing things that didn't work....not for changing my screen after I have become used to it

Brandon Turner

Jun 28, 2014, 2:01:30 AM via Website

Gwen Miller

I can pretty well understand why someone doesn't want the kitkat update, I don't want it either. But why did you download it in the first place?
Everybody behaves as if kitkat was the best Android version ever. I have got far too much data on my galaxy s3 to be able to deal with an Android version that doesn't allow you to use your external sd card. It seems to me that most users use very little memory. What's the use of a smartphone with which you can only choose between four or five of the apps you can get, because you have a device with which you can either use google maps or play a game or take photos instead of being able to do anything you want. Thus I am quite happy with jelly bean (4.3).

My Samsung Note3 with KitKat allows me to transfer all of my apps to the SD card, as long as the app has that capability, as does my s3, so it should not be an issue with any of the Galaxy devices that are eligible for the KitKat update, although I do believe that KitKat 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 may be another story, but not 4.4.2.

— modified on Jun 28, 2014, 2:13:32 AM

Tiffany Sparks

Jul 4, 2014, 1:17:43 AM via Website

My way stopped the update and notifications for my droid M. Go to apps and disable motorola services. If you dont have motorola find a comparable app in your system to try out.

RC Collins

Oct 13, 2014, 9:17:18 PM via Website

Been working on this a while. First: root the phone. There are ways to do this,

go into the running applications and find the source of this stuff, it's either or both 'software update' and 'security policy update' ...force close them, wipe their process, whatever you can do ... this is probably temporary.

Next for the permanent stuff

1st method (froze my phone): is from qbking77 (google it) and a file 'CF-Auto-Root-hltespr-hltespr-smn900p.tar' contained in a zip file including a newer version of Odin3 v3 or something like that. This got me stuck. But maybe I forgot a step (like enable usb debugging)

2nd method (worked for me after first method froze my phone) using an older version of Odin3 v1.85 with a file CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar
The latter worked for me after the former got me stuck. You can try the first and see if it's a go ... because phones can be a tad different. If you get stuck do the 2nd method same procedure and you're fine.

Now that you're root (have some guts and root, it's worth it)

Get titanium back up and freeze the process "software update". You can even look at the details of the file and find the name of it and where it is. I didn't delete, I just froze it to be safe. Also freeze "security policy update". This is probably making the phone secure from you being able to do what you want.

Get esfile explorer with root add on for the following ...More steps, in addition to this .. which may be exessive ...(but hey, I want to be vigilant about stopping that 4.4 software from locking down all my freedoms)

www.usoftphone.com/t213000.html

HOW TO] Disable OTA Update (G-Note 3) Notifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The user lordazoroth originally posted this method here in the T-Mobile SGSIII forum. However, I have confirmed that it works with the Note 3 (at least with the Verizon variant) with one small difference. Feel free to give us both a "THANKS" if this helped you out.

You can disable the OTA Update notification by following the steps below. Just be aware that there is a small change in STEP #3.

Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ (may be /data/fota) and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear. (My phone rebooted and tried to install the update - this is the point where my Note 3 gave the update failed notification. I just rebooted the phone and went to STEP #2.)
Step 2. Disable otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

(NOTE: The difference in STEP #3 for the Galaxy Note 3 is that the [FotaClient.apk] is named [LocalFotaClient.apk] instead of just [FotaClient.apk]. All of the other steps are the same.

Continue running JB 4.3 and enjoy your Note 3 without that nagging update notification!

I'm not an expert, but I do know that when they updated my note 2 with all this kitkrap they messed up my stuff. Power user no more. Couldn't move files, couldn't even get picture messages on gosms. I had a really tough time rooting it back and re-installing whompasaurus.

joe bird

Jan 8, 2015, 1:32:16 AM via Website

Is there a way to get rid of the Update File which I already downloaded to my Note 3, before it Automatically Updates
Help .... !!!!!

Going back to the main question of the post, I have found out how to do it and I'm sharing it because it was the bane of my life for a few days. having automatically downloaded and filled my device with a 501mb file there was no space to complete the installation, so it perpetually tried to update and clogged my internal drive. Now gone. I downloaded ES File Explorer, used the search function to look for "update" in desperation. I found a compressed file exactly the same size as what the update software kept telling me was the size of the file it couldn't install. DELETE!

I ruined a previous phone by updating to ICE so I'm not making the same mistake again.

Susie Hanks Swain

Jan 26, 2015, 7:58:22 PM via Website

"Just Disable "Software Update" from settings.
Then click "Force Stop" and clear Cache , Data."

My Note 3 doesn't have "Software update" ... I have "Samsung Updates". Is that it? and when I clicked clear data on that it said "All of this applications data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files and settings, accounts and data bases etc." I was afraid to continue without advice.

— modified on Jan 26, 2015, 8:00:05 PM