DescriptionLearn all about the Galatasaray S.K. with Galatasaray Haberleri app! Be the first to discover the latest Aslanlar news and keep up to date with the latest news and gossip about the best club in the SüperLig! Everything you need to know in just one place!
- Find out about the best players on the team: Hamit Altıntop, Albert Riera, Fernando Muslera, Gökhan Zan, Aydın Yılmaz, Selçukİnan , Johan Elmander, Felipe Melo, Tomáš Ujfaluši and other great football players!
- Read biographies of players, as well as biographies of the legends who used to play football for Galatasaray FC!
- Latest transfer rumors and transfer news: Galatasaray FC new home kit, news, calendar, games and results, the SüperLig Table and more!
- Livescore soccer trophies the club and squad players and positions!
- Coming Soon - Discussion and Galatasaray S.K. Wallpapers update!
- Get this app and find out the latest Galata news!
- The best app for fans of the Avrupa Fatihi!
- Galatasaray S.K. Transfer News Rumors and gossip!
- Football latest news, schedule, fixtures and results
- Results of Galatasaray FC VS SüperLig and Champions League opponents!
- Legends Club: Gheorghe Hagi, Cláudio Taffarel, Hakan Şükür, Ümit Davala, Hasan Şaş, Gheorghe Popescu, Fatih Terim, Emre, Jardel, Unsal, Capone, Bülent Korkmaz….
The club were formed by students from the Lycee de Galatasaray, led by Ali Sami Yen, joining the Istanbul Football League in 1905/06 and winning their first title in their third season.
Galatasaray's official nickname of Aslanlar comes from an exceptionally talented player named NihatBekdik in the 1910s, who was promoted to the senior team aged 14. Fans used to call him 'The Lion' and soon this moniker was extended to the whole team.
Several of the club's great eras have been associated with single players. Between the mid-1950s and late-1960s, MetinOktay scored 217 goals in 252 appearances, while in the 1980s, TanjuÇolak was the star.
The writing was on the wall when Neuchâtel Xamax FC beat Galatasaray 3-0 in the 1988/89 European Champion Clubs' Cup second round first leg, but a TanjuÇolak hat-trick helped the eventual semi-finalists to a 5-0 win in the return.
In the following decade HakanŞükür took up the mantle, and under FatihTerimGalatasaray won four successive league titles between 1996 and 2000. In the latter season they became the first Turkish side to claim a European trophy, beating Arsenal FC on penalties to win the UEFA Cup. They added the UEFA Super Cup later that summer.