DescriptionBetter Wifi on/off aims at giving you the control of the Wifi state, optimizing your battery life without losing on user experience.
The app is free, fully featured with ads.
*What is the motivation behind controlling Wifi?*
On paper Wifi is less power hungry than 3G but... some apps behave differently when Wifi is on (DropBox / Google+ uploads, Google Maps location caching), the well known wlan_rx kernel wakelock is a symptom of wakeups caused by uncontrolled Wifi hotspots, the Wifi sleep policy is not working consistently and does solve all problems.
Support: the rating tool is not the right place to submit bugs or feature requests.
If you have questions or want to report bugs please send me a mail, post your question in the support thread at xda (http://goo.gl/oc8MR).
Keywords: battery life, control wifi, save battery, battery drain, saving battery
- android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: detect if wifi is on or off
- android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE, CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE and android.permission.UPDATE_DEVICE_STATS: change wifi state
- android.permission.WAKE_LOCK: hold a wakelock
- android.permission.BATTERY_STATS and android.permission.DEVICE_POWER: detect if on charger
- android.permission.INTERNET and android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: required for ads
- android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: save logcat
- android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: start service on boot
- android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE: detect screen on/off/unlock
BetterWifiOnOff is open source so you can inspect/review/ contribute and submit issues or feature requests. Please check the about dialog for further details.