DescriptionPURPOSE OF APPLICATION
Displays drug image and imprint data for unit dose medications. Helps prevent medication dispensing errors. Ideal for for nursing home staff and long-term care pharmacies.
HOW TO USE
Scan NDC barcode on unit dose packaging and view drug image and characteristics (imprint, shape and color) within seconds while verifying prescription medications.
Final verification of prescription medications by a licensed pharmacist is key in reducing medication dispensing errors, helping to ensure patient safety and optimizing clinical outcomes. Most state Boards of Pharmacy require that a pharmacist check all medications against the practitioner's original prescription and a visual image (or description) of the medication being dispensed. While many community-based retail pharmacies use computer systems that have this capability, many institutional pharmacies that rely on unit dose packaging do not. This application takes advantage of a universal feature of such packaging -- the NDC barcode. Any camera equipped Android device can now efficiently identify unit dose packaged medications by scanning the product's NDC barcode, thus reducing dispensing errors.
FEATURES & REQUIREMENTS
- Works with Android ver 2.2 and above with rear-facing camera and barcode scanning software
- Will prompt user to download free Barcode Scanner app from Google Play if such app is not already installed
- Instantly matches one-dimensional barcodes against FDA's NDC Directory
- Requires network access to obtain drug image and imprint data but will identify over 50,000 NDCs without a network connection.
- Allows NDC input via keyboard if barcode is difficult to scan, product has no barcode or device has no camera.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE READ ***
This application relies on US Food and Drug Administration National Drug Codes (NDC) barcodes to identify unit dose medications. It will NOT work with similar such codes in other countries. It is only intended for pharmacists and other healthcare professionals in the United States and does not provide general drug information. The information provided is not intended as medical advice nor does it replace pharmacists' professional judgement in providing pharmaceutical care. Rather, this tool merely simplifies identification of unit dose medications by NDC barcode. The developer does not endorse any product listed in the application and is not responsible for data entered or scanned by the end user.
Copyright 2013 Scan-2-ID.com