DescriptionOffline English Dictionary and Thesaurus
* Straightforward and precise definitions of over 140.000 words
* Works offline. No internet connection needed! Perfect for your studies and trips or when no data connection is available
* Save your favorite definitions
* Listen to the definitions with American or British accent using Android's built-in Text-to-speech synthesizer
* Advanced search system:
- Search inside definitions and examples
- Search using different criteria: word start, exact match or any substring
* Share definitions via SMS, email, etc.
* Saves automatically your phone's data space. The app installs itself automatically in the SD card if possible (Android 2.2+).
* Optimized for all Android versions
* Based on WordNet®, a lexical reference system whose design is inspired by current psycholinguistic theories of human lexical memory. English nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are organized into synonym sets, each representing one underlying lexical concept.
This version is supported by ads. If you like the application, please consider upgrading the ad-free version to support the development. Thanks :)
Q: How can I change the speech speed?
A: The speed of the speech is controlled by the TTS engine installed with Android. It can be set up by going to:
Settings --> Voice input & output settings --> Text to speech settings --> speech rate
Q: I don't like the voice. How can I improve it?
A: The default text-to-speech engine installed with Android is Pico TTS, it’s pretty simple and sometimes may sound a bit electronic. You can always install alternatives like eSpeak, SVox or IVONA from Android Market. Please check our blog post about this subject: http://www.movinapp.com/talking-android
Q: How can I change the speech accent?
A: Just go to Menu/Action Bar --> Settings and select the language. Currently, 2 English accents are available:
* English (US)
* English (UK)
The text-to-speech (TTS) technology may not be available in some devices. To check if your phone is able of speech synthesis: Menu -> Settings -> Voice input & output -> Text-to-speech settings.
If not installed, your device may ask you to install the TTS engine. An internet connection may be required. We suggest installing it before traveling as roaming data tariffs may be very expensive.