DescriptionYACHTING WORLD - "IMPRESSIVE" - July 2014
Transatlantic race The Cape - Rio - The Sun Fast 3200 Yolo winner in class 2
Recently I raced the Cape to Rio Yacht Race(Cape Town, South Africa to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) Double handed(24.5 days) and won our class against fully crewed boats. The weather routing I used was Sailgrib. I found the gribs and routing very accurate. It was also very simple to work and therefore did not need to spend lots of time at a computer like my opposition would have had to. I used the sony waterproof Android Tablet on wifi aboard. My only failings in the race was when I did not take the routing advice givern by Sailgrib WR. If I did all the time, I would have done better!
I can recommend it.
SailGrib WR is a sailing weather routing app.
It calculates the fastest sailing route to your destination along a route with waypoints.
Before you purchase this app, it is highly recommended that you try the free version which is fully functional but limited to :
- requesting and viewing only the next 48 hours forecast
- calculating an unlimited amount of routes of 50NM or less.
- calculating 10 routes between 50 an 150NM.
In SailGrib WR, you can specify amongst other parameters:
- the wind grib file: SailGrib WR includes the regular SailGrib features.
- the start, the destination points and intermediary waypoints
- the departure date and time,
- the speed polar file of your boat. SailGrib WR uses regular Maxsea polar files (.pol extension)
SailGrib WR includes a set of more than 100 polar files for different sailboats.
- wind limits up and downwind
- minimum upwind angle for comfort while cruising
- night efficiency loss for cruising
- mixed routing: use your engine if you are too slow sailing.
- the current grib file
Grib files are computer-generated forecast files which are sent without review, and are offered on an as-is basis. There is no assurance that the data is accurate or correct. By using such data, you acknowledge and agree to these limitations.
The weather routing module is for planning purpose only and should not be used for navigation. The map used by the weather routing algorithm is very coarse and for example does not include all the islands.
By using these data and this algorithm you agree to these limitations and assume all the responsibility for their use.