DescriptionDuden–German explanatory dictionary is the most comprehensive dictionary of its kind which includes not only up-to-the-minute German vocabulary, but also covers its dialects and its varieties in Austria and Switzerland. Detailed entries are devoted to the technical terms, professionalisms, jargon, and slang. As any other explanatory dictionary, Duden contains elaborated entries on the meaning and usage of the words and speech tokens in a sentence. The new edition of this basic work offers converted, updated, and considerably extended content of keywords from A to Z. Naturally, Duden – German explanatory dictionary corresponds to the obligatory Official Spelling Rules dated August, 2006. The PDA-version offers numerous functions that actualize word search in the dictionary.
• About 150,000 keywords and phrases
• More than 500,000 meaning explanations and usage examples, notes on spelling, grammar, word origin, and style
• 10,000 words and phrases standing for new notions relevant for nowadays German reality, e.g. "Erlebnisgesellschaft", "Genfood", "MP3-Player", "Plasmabildschirm", "seniorengerecht", "Zweiklassenmedizin" etc.
• Around 140 typical for the modern German language affixes, such as "neo-", "pseudo-", "-bewusst", "-wirksam" and others are paid special attention
• Recommendations on word usage help to avoid mistakes in linguistically sensitive cases, such as with the words "pervers" and "turken" and inform that recently often used "taubstumm" should be substituted by "gehorlos";
New! Easy copy-and-paste functions allow to copy unknown words from an active application, like web browsers or email, and automatically to open the relevant dictionary entry.
• NEW! Three integrated input methods make dictionary use more convenient than ever. Search by voice using Google Voice recognition service (Available for OS 2.2 and higher), take a picture of the text and get definition of the word with Google Goggles, or enter the word in your own handwriting with Paragon’s PenReader handwriting recognition software.
• Look up unfamiliar words in dictionary directly from the home screen, using a Quick Search Box.
• List of similar words is displayed in case of misspelling.
• Find the word even if you don’t know its exact spelling using Wildcard Search.
• German audio pronunciations recorded by native speakers.
• Integrate dictionary with the Flash Cards application and quiz yourself with words you have added from the dictionary.
• Test yourself with a Word of the day widget on your Home screen. A random entry from the dictionary is changed daily (Menu->Settings->Install widget)
• NEW! Manage Word of the day widget settings: select dictionary direction, font size and update period (manual or automatic).
• NEW! Enhanced customization options allow you to choose background color. Black, white and sepia themes are available (Menu -> Settings).
• NEW! Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort (Menu -> Settings).
• NEW! Report bugs, request features and send feedback to Google Play or the Paragon development team quickly and conveniently with the new integrated support feature (Menu -> Information).
• Search History feature shows the last 20 words looked up.
• No Internet connection required.
tags: duden,german,explanatory,paragon,dictionary,reference, language