DescriptionScholarley is an unofficial Android client for Mendeley; which is a free and convenient application for managing your library of academic papers (see: http://www.mendeley.com/). Scholarley has been designed for both Android phones and tablets.
Note: Scholarley cannot synchronise your annotations with Mendeley. This is due to limitations in the Mendeley Open API.
Scholarley's current features (★ indicates in-app upgrade is required):
- Authentication with Mendeley using OAuth.
- Streamlined synchronisation for even large libraries with thousands of documents.
- Viewing of document details in a refined format.
- Opening documents and attachments of any format provided that your Android device supports them. An external PDF viewer is required for viewing PDFs.
- A convenient user interface which supports filtering documents by:
- author (with smart deduplication)
- And support for sorting documents by title, author, citation key, date of addition to library, and date of last modification.
- Full offline synchronisation of your Mendeley library (including, at your option, PDFs and attachments).
- Complete interface for making local changes to document metadata, with undo capability.
★ Full two-way synchronisation of document metadata.
★ Document creation and attachment upload to Mendeley. [Experimental]
Upcoming Features for 0.9.9.x
- Enhanced sort and search functionality.
- Local changes to folders (adding, deleting, and moving documents into and out of them).
- Allow manual selection of where the PDF library is stored.
- Refinement of the user interface. [Ongoing]
Long-term Potential Features
★ Track local changes to PDFs, such as annotations, and upload changes. This is NOT yet possible due to Mendeley's Open API.
The current plan is to release one new build a week; with a 1.0.0 release around the end of October. Not all features in the upcoming list above will necessarily be implemented; but for too long Scholarley has languished with lots of features but little polish, and so most of the effort for the 1.0.0 release will be on polishing the existing features.
Please keep in mind that as a PhD student, my studies consume most of my time; and what little remains is distributed among my family and extra-curricular activities. Sometimes even small features and improvements might take a while to implement and polish.
Scholarley was originally intended for my private use only. Since then, at the requests of many people, various features have been added. In order to sponsor future development, it is necessary that I find monetary remuneration. During the early development of these features, the in-app upgrade will be available for a reduced price of AUD$4. Once version 1.0.0 is released, the price will be increased to $5. Viewing of your library, and local modifications to it, will always remain free.
Note concerning Scholarley's limitations:
Scholarley is limited by the API offered by Mendeley, and by the lack of an inbuilt PDF viewer (which tend to be quite expensive). Correspondence with Mendeley suggests that it will be quite some time before a usable update to their API is released.
If you find a bug in Scholarley, please let me know. However, keep in mind that I am a full time PhD student, and Scholarley is written in my spare time; originally just for myself. Overly critical reviews and impatience are not at all motivating.
If Scholarley does not satisfy your needs, please do consider alternative Mendeley clients for Android such as Droideley and Referey.