DescriptionMoon maps galore! Scroll, zoom and search through high resolution US Geological Survey and NASA maps. LunarMap is fun for anybody who wants to see and know more about earth's lovely satellite and is a great companion for amateur astronomy observations through a telescope.
The Lite version watermarks zoom levels above 8X and does not include terminator (shadow line) display and satellite features (e.g., it includes Plato but not Plato B).
Features of LunarMap include:
- Nearside and farside of the moon
- Realistic US Geological Survey relief map (5120x5120 resolution)
- Beautiful photographic map from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter's Wide Angle Camera (nearside 20480x20480)
- Color-coded topological maps from both the USGS and NASA
- Realtime terminator (shadow) line
- Searchable labels for over 1900 craters, maria, mountains, valleys, Apollo landing sites and more, based on International Astronomical Union data; tap on feature for more information or to lookup in Wikipedia
- Rotate and/or flip the map to match your telescope's eyepiece view, or for users in the southern hemisphere
- Zoom with two fingers (multitouch devices only), on-screen buttons or volume keys
- Customize colors, labels shown and other features
- Optionally lock screen rotation or make it harder to change so you need to turn the device further than usual to rotate to prevent accidental screen rotations while observing
- The maps are 2D. The nearside maps are projected to show a small portion of the farside, since libration can reveal a small portion of the farside
Note: To save app download time, maps other than the USGS relief nearside map involve an additional free in-app download, hence the Internet permission.