DescriptionNovay's NFC Passport Reader reads and verifies the embedded RFID chip in electronic passports and other ICAO compliant identity documents (ePassport, or, in ICAO Doc 9303 terminology, Machine Readable Travel Documents: MRTD). This app optically scans the machine readable zone (MRZ) to get access to the embedded chip. It then reads the embedded chip and displays the biographical and biometric information of the document holder as well as document information. After displaying the contents, security checks such as Active Authentication, Document signature validation, and Country signature validation are performed and detailed results are displayed.
This version of the app is provided as-is and without warranty. The authors make no claims about fitness for any particular purpose.
KNOWN ISSUES FOR THIS VERSION
- Reading using LG Nexus 4 often fails on certain MRTDs. Other devices with a Broadcom NFC solution (such as Samsung Galaxy S4) may also be affected.
- Country signature validation is limited to a static list of publicly available CSCA certificates embedded in the app.
- OCR works best in brightly lit environments.
We are very interested in your feedback. If you see opportunities for embedding this solution, either as part of the traditional border control inspection system use case, or as part of innovative new use cases, contact us at email@example.com.
LICENSES FOR OPEN SOURCE LIBRARIES USED
- JMRTD (http://jmrtd.org): LGPL
- Bouncy Castle (http://www.bouncycastle.org): MIT License
- Spongy Castle (https://github.com/rtyley/spongycastle): Apache License 2.0
- JJ2000 (https://code.google.com/p/jj2000): LGPL
- JNBIS (https://code.google.com/p/jnbis): Apache License 2.0 / Public Domain
- CERT-CVC (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ejbca/files/cert-cvc/): LGPL
- Tesseract-android-tools (http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-android-tools/): Apache License 2.0
- Tesseract-ocr (http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/): Apache License 2.0
- Leptonica (http://code.google.com/p/leptonica/): Apache License 2.0