Ok i know this is stupid but i have to ask?

• Replies:32
katie bowen
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 16, 2010, 5:11:04 AM via Website

What the heck is root your phone i just got my droid about month ago and i'm still figuring it out and i've heard people talking about root you phone but what the heck is that?

Markus Gu
  • Forum posts: 2,644

Mar 16, 2010, 8:57:59 AM via Website

hello

if you have root rights you are the superuser of your system. you can do some things that "normal" users cannot do.

swordiApps Blog - Website

Jack-In-Da-Box
  • Forum posts: 1,569

Mar 16, 2010, 10:11:41 AM via Website

hello katie,

"root" is similar to an "administrator" on windows platforms. "normal" users dont need that!
in fact, a rooted phone is a high risk.

Marius O.
  • Forum posts: 1,588

Mar 16, 2010, 3:00:15 PM via Website

when you're root you can "creat" a wifi network with your droid (for example)

but there are also many other things which are possible as root

— modified on Mar 16, 2010, 3:00:25 PM

katie bowen

Mar 16, 2010, 4:41:28 PM via Website

ok so basically since i'm not trying to do amazing things like change the android files themselves like you do on your computer. its basically like hacking the android system. Ok got it not something i'm doing know me i would break my phone

kemon camp

Mike Romersa
  • Forum posts: 6

Apr 23, 2010, 7:58:37 AM via Website

Hi,

I have just got my HTC Hero and am really enjoying it. I find something new about it every day. I have heard about "rooting" your phone in these forums and in some apps in the market. I get what you guys have said here about a super user etc. How do you go about "rooting" your phone, and how much damage can you actually do? There are some apps i would like to try out like "auto memory manager" which requires "rooting", but i am scared i may wreck the phone. :(

Fabien Röhlinger
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 3,855

Apr 23, 2010, 9:55:10 AM via Website

Rooting your phone is not that easy. We have an instruction. But it is in German. Probably I can find someone to translate it asap. As a root, you can do a lot of more things with your phone. E.g. installing a new ROM or nearly all apps.

If you do a mistake during the root process, your phone may brick. In that case your phone is broken and you won't be able to fix it.

Mike Romersa

Apr 23, 2010, 11:11:17 AM via Website

Ok ... Well now i am scared. So the moral of the story is to stay away from "rooted" apps if you not really 100% sure what you doing ....... I would hate to 'brick' my baby :)

Fabien Röhlinger
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 3,855

Apr 23, 2010, 11:35:08 AM via Website

Exactly! Bricking your phone would be quite bad. But this happens only once in a while. Nevertheless, I prefer to tell you the whole truth... ;)

Randy Merrell
  • Forum posts: 58

May 25, 2010, 10:13:59 AM via Website

I want to "root" my Droid. Can you point me to a website?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

May 25, 2010, 12:08:17 PM via Website

Assuming your Moto Droid is running Android 2.1:

This walk-through here should work according to the comments below it. From the walkthroughs I looked at, they all seemed to be the same more or less, so good luck!

I don't recommend that you do this unless you are confident in your skills and understand the risks, as you can damage your phone. I hope it works for you. We don't take responsibility for what happens to your phone if something goes wrong.

— modified on May 25, 2010, 12:10:51 PM

Mandi Reyes
  • Forum posts: 13

May 25, 2010, 6:20:52 PM via App

ya me too how do you root it

Robbie B
  • Forum posts: 1

May 29, 2010, 7:07:02 PM via App

Douglas Carter
Assuming your Moto Droid is running Android 2.1:

This walk-through here should work according to the comments below it. From the walkthroughs I looked at, they all seemed to be the same more or less, so good luck!

I don't recommend that you do this unless you are confident in your skills and understand the risks, as you can damage your phone. I hope it works for you. We don't take responsibility for what happens to your phone if something goes wrong.

craig r.

Jun 27, 2010, 3:16:11 AM via Website

So, as long as your phone is running OS 2.1, doesn't really matter what make or model you have, you can still root it with the linked instructions? Thx

craig r.

Jun 27, 2010, 8:04:36 PM via Website

Ok, that's good to know...don't want to mess things up --thx for the advise! Does anyone know where I can find specific instructions on rooting a Samsung Moment?

craig r.

Jun 29, 2010, 8:52:57 AM via App

...thx!

philly fireman

Sep 8, 2010, 5:08:33 PM via App

just got this phone and I would like to root it and upgrade to 2.2 can some one help me.
philly fireman

Douglas Carter

Sep 8, 2010, 6:02:10 PM via Website

philly fireman
just got this phone and I would like to root it and upgrade to 2.2 can some one help me.
philly fireman

I'm assuming you are familiar with what rooting is, and the risks you take? What are you looking for exactly? Most (or likely all) of what you need can be found by doing a google search for "Samsung Captivate root method". As for Android 2.2, I know there is an Android 2.2 ROM floating around for the international version, but I don't know if anyone has made one for the captivate.

Derek Schaar
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 9, 2010, 4:18:38 PM via App

when i attempted to root my droid for the first time it bricked 3 times due to a bad download. i was lucky my friend knew what to do. we actually had to put his SD card in my phone and upload his recovery image to my phone to keep it from loop booting.

— modified on Sep 9, 2010, 4:19:57 PM

edward perez

Dec 16, 2010, 3:10:01 AM via Website

ookay now i understand what is rooting is all about.....anyway im new on this one and a new android user im using an xperia 8 judging on your comments/posts scared me dont want to brick my phone but i do want to learn on this one :grin:

Douglas Carter

Dec 16, 2010, 2:28:10 PM via Website

edward perez
ookay now i understand what is rooting is all about.....anyway im new on this one and a new android user im using an xperia 8 judging on your comments/posts scared me dont want to brick my phone but i do want to learn on this one :grin:

Have you read this post yet? https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/forum/thread/403299/So-what-exactly-is-rooting-and-is-it-for-me

edward perez

Dec 17, 2010, 1:15:36 AM via Website

@douglas thanks sir for the info on rooting and the links that you provided seems rooting has a it's own downside maybe i should go to the safer side since im a new android user

Lenny Hodapp

Mar 1, 2011, 2:28:30 AM via App

there are ways to fix a bricked phone. i bricked my samsung vibrant after it was rooted by trying to install a kernel and I fixed it. it wouldn't go part recovery screen

rdisanza
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 7, 2011, 12:53:00 AM via App

ROOTing your phone makes you the Sysop (System Operator) of your phone (system). Allows u full control to do things you normally can't. I recommend viewing the XDA forums for more in-depth discussions on this topic. IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY, U CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE. Brick=Useless, as in boat anchor...

www.XDA.com

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 9, 2011, 9:01:54 AM via Website

thx, let me know about more

Pavan P

Feb 12, 2012, 4:11:29 PM via Website

We are running an application which is reading a large file over Bluetooth. We are encountering Heap memory issue. On Android 2.2 on a similar tablet, we could root and use VM heap tool to increase the heap. We are unable to do this on 2.3. Any suggestions? This has become very critical now for our "Go Live"activity. Thanks to all.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 13, 2012, 2:19:02 PM via Website

Heres a video I did here at Androidpit that explains rooting:

https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/blog/401373/What-is-Rooting

I have owned ALOT of Android devices and never bricked one of them. Not only can you do a lot more with your phone, it will run soooooooo much smoother.

I HIGHLY recommend rooting.

kane follis

Apr 16, 2012, 6:09:25 PM via App

Randy Merrell
I want to "root" my Droid. Can you point me to a website?
hey if your determined to root despite the risks go slow do lots of research about your specific phone as its different for each handset particulary how to recover if something goes wrong. ok that said just Google root and your handset there are lots of forums out there with instructions again don't rush read through them find instructions that are clear and you understand and be prepared for the worst ie have files for recovery ready to go should something fail and know how to put phone back in download mode if it should soft brick these are the things I didn't do my first time and I ended up going a week with no phone after while trying to find solutions. good luck

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Apr 17, 2012, 3:17:08 PM via Website

Exactly which droid do you have?

abogala

Nov 4, 2012, 2:58:15 AM via App

Markus Gu
hello

if you have root rights you are the superuser of your system. you can do some things that "normal" users cannot do.