android battery issues

• Replies:26
Ryan Erickson
  • Forum posts: 93

Jun 17, 2010, 4:14:06 AM via App

it seems holding a battery charge all day on my Droid is a chore. however I have found some Apps to help me out I use advanced task killer and automatic task killer. I would highly recommended both of these to anyone looking to improve battery life. if anyone has any others they use and like please share

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jun 17, 2010, 6:19:56 AM via App

Turning off Bluetooth and WiFi when not needed, lowering brightness to about 40%, and reducing how often apps and email refresh all seem to help on my HTC Eris. Also look in setting as to what's using your battery the most.. I had savvy shopper barcode reader until I noticed how much battery it used.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jun 17, 2010, 2:40:47 PM via Website

justJay
Also look in setting as to what's using your battery the most.

Excellent tip. Glad to see you are back btw. Hopefully we'll see more non-bubble oriented apps to keep you from wandering off again :D

Ryan Erickson

Jun 18, 2010, 12:39:18 AM via App

i just wish they would come out with a bigger battery for my droid

justJay

Jun 18, 2010, 6:23:09 AM via App

Ryan Erickson
I bought a Duracell Powersource Mini.. its a pocket sized rechargeable USB lithium-ion battery pack... which you can use To charge your phone on the go. It's a must have on long bike rides when using apps like "My Tracks" to record your route via gps... then you can later post on Facebook or Google My Maps.

Douglas Carter

Jun 18, 2010, 1:08:46 PM via Website

Ryan Erickson
Who is they? I do believe you can buy batteries that have reportedly more mAH than standard, but you would have to be careful, as some of those batteries with high reported mAH don't actually deliver on their promises. My advice would be to stick with a well reviewed and well-known battery maker if you go that route.

Ben Caronna
  • Forum posts: 24

Jun 18, 2010, 4:42:56 PM via App

Where did you buy the portable power source? And is it available for the Droid Eris?

Ryan Erickson

Jun 18, 2010, 4:57:49 PM via App

thanks for the advise I will have to check that portable charger out. I have found some batteries online that supposedly have longer life but I don't think I will go for that because the battery sticks out of the back then my case wont fit: /

justJay

Jun 18, 2010, 9:38:11 PM via App

Ben Caronna
Where did you buy the portable power source? And is it available for the Droid Eris?
I got it at Radio Shack in the US they have a lot of different units.. some even have solar panels to recharge if you are really roughing it in the middle of nowhere.. you can use it for any USB device.

Ben Caronna

Jun 18, 2010, 10:34:53 PM via App

haha I was so inspired that I just went out and bought myself one and I love it.

Ben Caronna

Jun 19, 2010, 1:45:51 AM via App

I bought a little rechargable Duracell Li-Ion battery that has a mini usb port on the side from Target for $20.

Geoff G
  • Forum posts: 4

Jul 16, 2010, 6:35:59 AM via App

i just bought a portable battery charger for htc evo on Amazon. it holds 4 aa batteries.

Harry
  • Forum posts: 10

Jul 19, 2010, 5:31:03 AM via App

Ryan Erickson

I think most folks would prefer a slightly larger phone with a battery that lasted a day than what we currently have. When will phone makers get this?

patrick mccord
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 5:52:09 AM via Website

i agree completely

Douglas Carter

Jul 19, 2010, 11:43:53 AM via Website

I can agree that having to carefully mind the power settings on a phone is annoying, and higher capacity batteries would be a great addition to all devices. Luckily the phone I am using right now has been doing admirably in terms of battery consumption.

Harry
  • Forum posts: 10

Jul 21, 2010, 4:40:55 AM via App

It took several weeks, but I just got 2 more batteries and a charger off ebay for about ten bucks. They actually look identical too the stock battery. The charger works well also.

The seller is "tuttoit" if anyone else wants to try some.

I think for now this will be my solution. The battery is easy enough to replace.

— modified on Jul 21, 2010, 4:43:53 AM

Teqnick
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 19, 2010, 3:29:31 PM via App

anyone tried the powermonkey? was thinkin about pickin one up...

Ryan Erickson

Aug 19, 2010, 4:29:04 PM via App

what is that?

Douglas Carter

Aug 20, 2010, 11:12:20 AM via Website

They look interesting, but I don't really have any space or money for much else in my laptop bag, and I don't run out of battery enough yet to justify buying one. However, if I ever decided to go on a several week camping trip, the powermonkey-eXplorer looks interesting, as it is a solar charger.

Raul
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 5:16:05 AM via App

I have recently bought my droid x and already I have trouble saving battery life. I've tried "Advance Task Killer" but, fails to maintain most apps closed. When I charge my battery it never reaches full battery life. If any of you fellow Android buddies know of another app and isn't a drain on the battery please let me know.

justJay

Sep 7, 2010, 3:55:56 PM via App

There are many factors that affect battery life. As you read through this forum thread you should of seen many helpful tips to increase battery life.. like.. using dark wallpapers, lowering screen brightness, cutting back on how often your apps refresh themselves, turning off WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS when not using just to name a few of the helpful tips found within the forum thread.

Douglas Carter

Sep 8, 2010, 12:04:45 PM via Website

Raul
I have recently bought my droid x and already I have trouble saving battery life. I've tried "Advance Task Killer" but, fails to maintain most apps closed. When I charge my battery it never reaches full battery life. If any of you fellow Android buddies know of another app and isn't a drain on the battery please let me know.

What exactly do you mean by another app? Are you looking for an app that manages other apps, attempting to save battery life? The Droid X, in my opinion, has too small a battery for such a huge screen, so the battery life will always be less than desired. There is an app called Juice defender that you may want to take a look at as a replacement/supplement to Advanced Task Killer.

Raul

Ryan Erickson

Sep 13, 2010, 11:27:00 PM via App

I a s well have the droid x. I have found advanced task killer to work the best. I put security to low and auto kill lvl to crazy. I go to bed putting it on the charger at about 50% not bad. I will say as a side note I also just had a battery die. It was brand new about a month ago.not sure if my phone was doing something wrong or just a faulty battery. I guess I will see if it happens again.

Douglas Carter

Sep 14, 2010, 10:39:34 AM via Website

The way to get the best battery life on a device is, in my opinion, to follow the directions exactly in order to begin the charging process properly. I hope the next battery works better for you.