Android vs Apple ;)

• Replies:14
Ben Caronna
  • Forum posts: 24

Jun 17, 2010, 9:05:47 PM via App

Now before anyone gets to angry or worked up I need you all to understand that I hate Apple just as much as every one of you. Android is the future and we all know that. This thread is just to see why all of you think that we are better than them. Have at it !! :)

Ryan Erickson
  • Forum posts: 93

Jun 17, 2010, 9:17:01 PM via App

a full answer to this question would take me much to long so I will try to sum it up! a big one for me is the fact that you can custamize an iPhone about as much as a roll of toilet paper......they all look the same I for one do not want a phone that looks like the other 40 million out there! my second reason is the app store charges for almost everything and now that the at&t unlimited data plan is gone you are charged to download it as well! that is b/s. lastly iPhone only has a 3 megapixel camera and no interchangeable batterie with all of this said iPhone<android

Michael B
  • Forum posts: 24

Jun 18, 2010, 1:27:59 AM via App

my take on it is that if some developer out there decides that calendar reminders should repeat until acknowledged and see that the phone app doesn't do that, they simply write a program that does. Apple would reject that app.

— modified on Jun 18, 2010, 2:06:58 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jun 18, 2010, 1:19:37 PM via Website

Customization is a big part of it. Not just in the hardware/appearance that you can CHOOSE, but also with the software, in that you change change how so many things are displayed with your phone, plus you aren't stuck waiting for the roughly yearly refresh of their only phone. Also having the ability to change out the battery when I want to is a plus.

Assuming I had more than 1 microSD card, I could also change out cards to get more space on the phone for pictures and videos (and other stuff.)

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jun 19, 2010, 7:36:58 AM via Website

Competition, its the American way. Why are apple computers so expensive, because only apple makes them. Also with apple your stuck with what they think you should have. They are supposed to be so user friendly and intuitive but every experience I've had with an apple product, they limited your options too much. As I heard someone put it before, it's like a computer/phone with training wheels.

Darryl

Geoff G
  • Forum posts: 4

Jul 16, 2010, 6:32:45 AM via App

i always think apple products are overvalued and overhyped. android is the way to go for its openness and vast variety of phones and carriers to choose from.

Douglas Carter

Jul 16, 2010, 9:45:14 AM via Website

I decided I would come back to this topic again. I'm a PC user almost all the time. I run an apple computer with Windows XP dual-booted so I can play my games and do other stuff that OS X can't manage as well. Back home I had several computers that I put together for gaming and other uses, plus the computers I helped friends build.

I also have to say that my laptop, a MacBook Pro, is very nice in lots of design/engineering aspects. There are things that you pay for when you buy Apple that make it stand out (besides the Apple name and branding :P) However, I paid over $2,000 for it, so... Is it expensive? Yes, very. Does it work, I would say it fufills my needs (but an extra USB port would be nice.) Do they deserve a cult following or devotion? No. And they most certainly aren't perfect.

— modified on Jul 16, 2010, 9:46:49 AM

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 16, 2010, 9:56:46 AM via Website

Douglas Carter
I decided I would come back to this topic again. I'm a PC user almost all the time. I run an apple computer with Windows XP dual-booted so I can play my games and do other stuff that OS X can't manage as well. Back home I had several computers that I put together for gaming and other uses, plus the computers I helped friends build.

I also have to say that my laptop, a MacBook Pro, is very nice in lots of design/engineering aspects. There are things that you pay for when you buy Apple that make it stand out (besides the Apple name and branding :P) However, I paid over $2,000 for it, so... Is it expensive? Yes, very. Does it work, I would say it fufills my needs (but an extra USB port would be nice.) Do they deserve a cult following or devotion? No. And they most certainly aren't perfect.

What I hated most about my experience using apple computers is that they try to do everything for you or make you do it their way. It's supposedly easier to use, but not if you wanting to do something different. You may need to do things a little different for some reason and there was just no option or way to do it.

Teqnick
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 19, 2010, 3:43:40 PM via App

their hardware is overpriced. no other company can post higher profits than the leading supplier without ripping people off. they are merely a well marketed brand and sell products through ignorance and vanity. their software is proprietary and closed. they have completely gone against their orwell-ian message that they pushed in their 80s ad campaigns. and releasing mobile internet devices that don't support flash is just one step beyond retarded. EZ

Valter De Sousa
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 20, 2010, 6:44:30 AM via App

Teqnick
their hardware is overpriced. no other company can post higher profits than the leading supplier without ripping people off. they are merely a well marketed brand and sell products through ignorance and vanity. their software is proprietary and closed. they have completely gone against their orwell-ian message that they pushed in their 80s ad campaigns. and releasing mobile internet devices that don't support flash is just one step beyond retarded. EZ

Douglas Carter

Aug 20, 2010, 11:48:28 AM via Website

Their iPhone 4 costs pretty much the same as a similarly spec'd Android phone. Their displays, laptops, and PC on the other hand, are a completely different story.

Teqnick
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 25, 2010, 3:37:35 PM via App

Douglas Carter
Their iPhone 4 costs pretty much the same as a similarly spec'd Android phone. Their displays, laptops, and PC on the other hand, are a completely different story.

I don't agree. when I got my milestone the apple equivalent in terms of hardware was the iphone 3gs (bar their sh1tty display res and slower hsupa) and it would've cost £130 on the same length contract. I got my milestone free.

Douglas Carter

Aug 26, 2010, 12:51:20 PM via Website

I'm talking about off-contract price, as in the price of the phone if you bought it without a plan. The current high-end Android phones and the iPhone 4 are in a very similar price range. For instance, the iPhone 4 32GB is 599 Pounds from an Apple store in the UK, and the Samsung Galaxy S from PhoneUKunlimited is 549 Pounds. I think that in a few months, once the iPhone 4 has been on market, we will start seeing phones with significantly better specs than the iPhone 4, and at the same, or for cheaper.

You also have to take into account the price discount that comes from the phone being on the market for awhile, and the different variants that can be had. Wireless carrier contracts also blur the real cost of the hardware.

— modified on Aug 26, 2010, 12:53:27 PM

Douglas Carter

Aug 27, 2010, 11:25:00 AM via Website

justJay
I don't care if the iPhone was free.. they can keep it. I wouldn't want to downgrade to an apple phone... no widgets... no thank you.

Agreed, I have no desire to own an iPhone.