new 2.2

• Replies:40
alexander wardlaw
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 26, 2010, 11:23:46 PM via Website

Ok I had the first version of 2.2 on my nexus one and it was leaps and bounds better than 2.1.... Now I know why Google put a 1Ghz new processor in this thing.... Now I updated to what is suppose to be the final version of 2.2 and I see a improvement already in call reception!!!
the big things I noticed from 2.1 to 2.2..... camera now has on screen menu, more options, FLASH support!! (eat that i phone 4) new phone/menu/web cluster at the bottom of the home screens... calender interface is cooler, now I get my yahoo mail, and the track ball now lights up different colors (when you program it that way) when an app needs to be updated, now you can choose all to update with out having to choose them individually. I know there is more I just cant think of it now...I love this phone, I think if google would have sold it in Tmobile stores they could have outsold the iphone.... the new iphone is a joke, the NEXUS one smokes it in more ways.... the people out there that say it's not as good are total apple loyalist and will always say that.... ANDROID phones are taking over on all carriers but ATT I wonder why....because AT&T sucks and so do there phones.....

— modified on Dec 21, 2011, 5:19:15 PM by moderator

khairo
  • Forum posts: 63

Jun 27, 2010, 7:26:09 AM via App

wow tats very cool!!
but i have a question fr u,
hw to update?
and
must the phone be rooted?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jun 28, 2010, 7:26:42 PM via Website

AT&T announced that they were receiving a variant of the Samsung Galaxy S soon, called the Samsung Captivate. I'm glad to hear you got the upgrade to Android 2.2. Did you do the first update to Android 2.2 by yourself, and the last was automatically?

alexander wardlaw

Jun 28, 2010, 11:44:38 PM via Website

My nexus one was stock for T-mobile.... I did the update myself, I found the update for the 1st version FRF50 and installed it myself.... no problem.... then I saw that this FRF 82 is suppose to be the final OS 2.2 downloaded it and updated my phone... In all the update took all of about 20 minutes... most of that was when the phone reboots.... If you are afraid to do it your self wait for the OTA update it suppose to be hitting phones already, but I have heard rumors that google was having a problem with a server that sends out all that info, and that only SELECT phones will get the update.... not all android phones will get the update.....

alexander wardlaw

Jun 28, 2010, 11:47:24 PM via Website

I wouldnt touch ANY phone on AT&T... they really only care about the iPhone and its a piece of sh@# when you put it against a nexus one, incredible or a droid.... That and AT&T was voted as having the WORST customer service and 2nd WORST coverage!!! I Love t-mobile service, great coverage, great phones, the people that work for them seem very nice and the service is not that expensive....

khairo

Jun 29, 2010, 4:34:06 PM via App

i tried to check for system updates on my motorola milestone n it states that my phone currently is up to date.. but my version is only 2.1 1
does this means that the 2.2 update for milestone has not been released?

khairo

Jul 1, 2010, 3:12:22 AM via App

how to check whether the update is out or not....?

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 1, 2010, 7:59:11 AM via Website

khairo

I don't know if it's exactly the same on your phone, but on mine, if i go to: menu -> settings-> about phone-> System updates. I can check for ota updates there.

Douglas Carter

Jul 1, 2010, 10:35:41 AM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
khairo

I don't know if it's exactly the same on your phone, but on mine, if i go to: menu -> settings-> about phone-> System updates. I can check for ota updates there.

Yeah, I believe that is pretty much the same for all phones

khairo

Jul 1, 2010, 1:42:16 PM via App

ouh, ok2 thnx guys

jntt
  • Forum posts: 8

Jul 23, 2010, 9:17:24 PM via App

is the HTC droid Eris
getting this update

Douglas Carter

Jul 26, 2010, 11:26:53 AM via Website

the Droid Eris is getting an update, actually it just did about a week ago, but not to Android 2.2. There is talk that the Droid Eris will get Android 2.2, but I don't remember anything solid being announced by HTC or Verizon.

Wyatt Yoss
  • Forum posts: 30

Jul 26, 2010, 8:05:56 PM via App

will the moto devour get 2.2? or finally 2.1?

Douglas Carter

Jul 27, 2010, 12:43:02 PM via Website

no way to know Wyatt. We'll just have to sit tight. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. In the mean time, the DEVOUR is rooted, so you can get started on trying that out if you want.

Wyatt Yoss

Jul 27, 2010, 5:06:53 PM via App

could you please post a link to root?

Wyatt Yoss

Jul 29, 2010, 5:29:28 AM via App

thank you very much, however do you know if i will continue to run motoblur? i saw im free to kill it, but i have only jailbroken iDevices so im not quite pro yet at rooting. also, do you know of a custom roms sight?

Douglas Carter

Jul 29, 2010, 11:35:44 AM via Website

Do you want Motoblur, and if so, what is the motivation? From what I have heard, it slows your phone down a lot. If you have only significantly used a Motoblur handset, I recommend you try out the regular Android experience.

In regards to a ROM, there doesn't really seem to be any around, and that is likely because it was rooted not too long ago. However, it appears that the DEVOUR has a similar system to the Droid X in that there is a system installed by Motorola making it hard to root/change the bootloader/load a new ROM.

— modified on Jul 29, 2010, 11:39:32 AM

Wyatt Yoss

Jul 29, 2010, 5:21:48 PM via App

i like motoblur because it keeps me connected to everyone through facebook and twitter. however, i could maybe live without.

Wyatt Yoss

Jul 29, 2010, 7:53:15 PM via App

i prefer motoblur to other UIs such as htc Sense and TouchWiz, but i would like to try the default android UI

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 31, 2010, 1:25:21 AM via App

Wyatt Yoss
i prefer motoblur to other UIs such as htc Sense and TouchWiz, but i would like to try the default android UI

You can try default Android UI on phones w/ HTC Sense and possible others:

Go to setting, then applications,then manage applications...

Now find the UI app (my Eris was called "HTC Sense")

Click on it and you will see "clear defaults" about half way down.

Click to clear (if you don't see "click to clear" you are in wrong app).

Once done:

Click your phones "Home" button and you will see a popup screen that will give you the option to choose the Android standard "Home" or the one you had been using.

Note: do not click the "use by default" checkbox until you want one of them to truly be your default. Each time you click your phones "Home" button you will get the popup option screen until you do click the box.

Have fun trying the Standard Android UI

— modified on Jul 31, 2010, 5:55:27 AM

Wyatt Yoss

Jul 31, 2010, 4:17:26 AM via App

Thank you very much justjay, but motoblur is a whole set of apps rather than htc Sense having an app you can clear defaults on. I tried what you said on my friend's Eris, and it worked, but that method sadly wont for me.

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 31, 2010, 6:03:54 AM via Website

HTC's Sense UI is also a whole set of Apps and Widgets

Applications:

* Friend Stream
* Camera
* Gallery (Pictures)
* Calculator
* Calendar
* Desk Clock
* Contacts