Apps all safe?

• Replies:5
aijin28
  • Forum posts: 53

Jul 2, 2010, 5:46:26 AM via Website

Hhow will i know if the apps im downloading are safe and not malicious programs? Are all the apps in the android market safe?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 2, 2010, 5:53:39 AM via App

99.9% safe.. there has been a couple that Google has banned.. like smsbomber and one recently where Google remotely removed from all phones that had it... basicly because the app was designed to gather stats etc. I still have a copy of smsbomber :)

— modified on Jul 2, 2010, 5:56:56 AM

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 2, 2010, 6:13:54 AM via Website

Hi Aijin, first of all look at what permissions it uses when you download it, the market will tell you what permissions it uses. Here is a page on what each permission means: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/36936-how-safe-find-trusted-apps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html
This link taken from an earlier post about this, here: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/forum/thread/397143/privacy-and-apps
Also I believe Norton has released an anti-virus for android if you need that type of thing.

aijin28
  • Forum posts: 53

Jul 2, 2010, 7:20:42 AM via Website

thanks guys. i really appreciate your replies, the last thing i want to happen is my phone to crash because of an application i installed.
that thread you gave was really helpful i learned a lot of things. when i download apps i dont check those things i just download like no tomorrow lol..
now i will surely read it :)

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 2, 2010, 2:08:29 PM via Website

Google doesn't check in the beginning to see how safe the app is, but if they get complaints that the app is bad, or the find out themselves that it is breaking some rule, then they can remove it. Otherwise, there is not really any way to know. However, there is at least one anti-virus available for Android that may sell itself as being able to protect your device. Maybe it is something to look into.