Wi-Fi Problems

• Replies:8
aijin28
  • Forum posts: 53

Jul 2, 2010, 7:44:09 AM via Website

Ok i think this has nothing to do with android but more of a phone concern (to mods feel free to move the topic if i posted it in the wrong section)

We have a wi-fi router in our house but seems like only our laptops are the only one that can access it. (provided with username pass given by DSL provider)

We dont know but our handhelds and my PSP cant enter it or some sort. It can detect the router and get connected but there is nothing showing on the browser. My guess is the packets are not entering or some security needs to be breached?maybe has to do with wep? i dont know this stuff can someone help me?
I can only connect Wi-Fi when i go to malls.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 2, 2010, 2:01:28 PM via Website

I had similar problems with the network where I live now. I disabled the firewall, but kept the password. After that, I was able to connect to my wi-fi network. If you know how to operate routers, then I would recommend trying to take as many protections down as necessary until you can connect, and then figure out which ones you can add back in without losing the internet. Let us know how it goes.

aijin28

Jul 2, 2010, 3:03:57 PM via Website

How do you disable the firewall? O_O

aijin28

Jul 3, 2010, 3:14:01 AM via Website

awe man im sorry i got a bit lost here :(. justJay what do you mean by "whoever has access to the router"?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 3, 2010, 5:01:26 AM via App

The router can be accessed (kind of like the BIOS of a computer to change settings etc) by a web browser on one of the connected computers.. usually by typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or something similar.. then a user name and/or password are usually needed (it's usually different then the user name/password used to get online).. check the user manual (if you don't have it) you can usually find instructions online by going to your service provider's website help section (I'm assuming you are using a wireless router provided by your dsl provider) otherwise go to the routers brand website. If the default user name/password have been changed and no one knows or remembers it.. there is usually a reset button on the router to reset to factory defaults.. hold reset button in then unplug power cable (keep holdings reset button in for about 10 seconds). Important Note: Be sure you have found the instructions online and printed them out before resetting.

— modified on Jul 3, 2010, 5:15:58 AM

aijin28

Jul 3, 2010, 7:04:06 AM via Website

omg it work jay. what i did was i reset our router and clicked a few things then i can connect my phone to the net. But im kinda scared cause i think i disabled all the security of the router and anyone can access it now..but wth at least i can use wi-fi through phone in the house thank you so much woooo :)

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 3, 2010, 6:32:43 PM via App

Glad to help.. :) I use the wireless MAC address controls to limit who can access my WiFi. First you need to get the wireless mac address of all devices that connect to the router.. then inable wireless MAC address control within the router.. then input all of the MAC addresses into the router.. apply changes etc.. that way only devices you know can access your network.

— modified on Jul 3, 2010, 6:39:22 PM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 3, 2010, 10:55:58 PM via Website

justJay
Glad to help.. :) I use the wireless MAC address controls to limit who can access my WiFi. First you need to get the wireless mac address of all devices that connect to the router.. then inable wireless MAC address control within the router.. then input all of the MAC addresses into the router.. apply changes etc.. that way only devices you know can access your network.

Yeah, the MAC address controls on my router were keeping me from connecting to it for the first 2 months or so that I had my phone. I finally spent like 6 hours digging through my router before I figured out how make it work. I added the MAC address in when I first got the phone, but it still could not connect. I eventually just left it off since I couldn't stay connected without keeping it disabled, but kept the password protection.