QWERTY keyboard

• Replies:5
aijin28
  • Forum posts: 53

Jul 3, 2010, 3:05:29 AM via Website

What are you opinions in the design of QWERTY keyboard in cellphones?

I heard people say they like the phone because it is equipped with "qwerty keyboard", they can text and type better.
Wait a minute cause i got confused, i thought qwerty was designed for computers and you have to use your 10 fingers.
i don't know how you guys text and type, but when i use my phone i use only two thumbs to write something.

Well, my point is why don't developers work a new layout of keyboard specially for cellphones since we don't use our ten fingers to text and type cause i believe a person who can type in a computer with above average speed can have a hard time typing even in qwerty cellphones.

Just a little history i heard that qwerty was designed by a German. He designed it for typewriter actually to "slow" down the person typing since the old abc keyboard people was typing very fast they create many mistakes.

Ok. I want to hear you opinion guys, for me i want a new design fit for my two thumbs i really think qwerty has nothing to do with cellphones, its for computers and laptops :D

— modified on Jul 3, 2010, 3:22:00 AM

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 3, 2010, 5:43:07 AM via App

http://home.earthlink.net/~dcrehr/whyqwert.html If you want a history lesson...the link explains the history of the qwerty keyboard pretty well. However.. Now-a-days.. we use the term "qwerty" to mean Full keyboard layout.. hardware qwerty meanings an actual keyboard that sides/folds out or virtual qwerty which of course means onscreen qwerty.. there is also "reduced qwerty" which puts two letters on most keys (except for letters L & M they are alone) made popular by the BlackBerry Pearl's hardware keyboard to reduce the size of the phone its self and now an option on most touch screen only phones. As for why do we still use it.. well I guess its mainly out of habit.. its what we are use to.. hard to teach old dog new tricks I guess.

— modified on Jul 3, 2010, 5:42:51 PM

Michael B
  • Forum posts: 24

Jul 3, 2010, 3:33:28 PM via App

Actually, qwerty was designed for typewriters. on a typewriter when you strike a key an arm rotates up to strike the ribbon of ink with a raised letter. early typist would strike keys too quickly and these arms would get tangled up. it was very common to have to reach in and push all the keys back into place. qwerty was designed to slow people down. it really became unnecessary when the electric typewriter was invented.

the Android market has a couple of applications that will add a Dvořák keyboard layout which places the most common letters directly under the 10 finger "home" position. I didn't install them because I keep trying to learn Dvořák for my desktop but stupid qwerty is so ingrained in my idiot head that even though I can't touchtype without looking at the stupid keys, I can't seem to learn a keyboard layout designed for ease of use.

if you decide to install one please offer a review here.

— modified on Jul 3, 2010, 3:42:06 PM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 6, 2010, 10:27:05 AM via Website

I can definitely type better/faster on my G1's QWERTY slideout keyboard, but I do have a small screen that isn't the best for my typing. If I had a bigger screen on my phone, having a QWERTY keyboard would not be an issue really, as more space on the screen for letters would make it much easier.

Phil
  • Forum posts: 47

Aug 6, 2010, 10:22:23 PM via App

I'd agree, the qwerty is simply a more familiar layout to people now a days. Sort of the same reason the USA is not using the metric system, which is really dumb. The layout is what it is though and I don't have a problem with it. My fat fingers are the cause of my typing difficulty.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 10, 2010, 10:20:57 AM via Website

The theory or idea of making a new layout is not a bad idea, in fact i think it is a great one. The popularity undoubtedly comes from the familiar layout like when you are on your computer. Whether people want to learn two separate keyboard layouts is a completely different question...