update qerry

• Replies:8
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 9, 2010, 2:17:45 PM via Website

I read that the htc sense UI itself has to be updated before updating firmware, the sense UI makes it more difficult to detect updates? is this true? And the sense UI may disappear when updating to 2.1? Is this true? I am waiting for my phone to automatically detect updates as i read that the phone will do this. Will it only detect updates when on 3G? I don't get that where I live. Am I better off NOT updating my phone if its working ok? Thanks in advance for any help. Howard. ps, gr8 phone!!

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 9, 2010, 3:03:24 PM via Website

I think that you may have to get the notification over 3G, but I'm not sure. How far away from an area with 3G coverage do you live? Also, how do you use your phone effectively without a 3G network?

Martin W.

Jul 9, 2010, 11:02:14 PM via Website

Hello there.....last days my Hero let me know, there is an update and i shall safe all things to my computer before i install it. So i have done and restart new, start the update and so....from now on i havent Android 1,6 anymore.....my Hero has become the update to 2,1, for what we all waiting so long time.
Its ok, works good, but i have had to replace all apps at the screen, also many other things. But i miss the app(widget), where i could stop the internet connection! Hmmm, have to learn all new things....

Deactivated Account

Jul 10, 2010, 2:30:06 AM via Website

Hi, thanks for reply, I live on the outskirts of town, most of the time when I log into internet an H symbol appears, have not a clue what H stands for? Anyway, sometimes I get the G symbol, when in town I get the 3G symbol. I assume that other times I am on 2G? But v 2.1, considering the hassle, the time consumption involved, re booting the the phone, I mean, is it worth it? How much better is v 2.1 compared with 1.5? HTC dont even bother to say what the differences are! So, what are they? True, my phone is a bit laggy, changing from portrait to landscape mode seems to be taking longer, it is becoming annoying actually!

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 10, 2010, 2:32:56 AM via App

I had updated my HTC Eris from 1.5 to 2.1 without any problem when the update became available. Sense UI is still there and better then the experience was on 1.5. I personally didn't loss any contacts or calendar entries. Of course it is always wise to back up anything that could be loss before any upgrade.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 11, 2010, 7:32:41 AM via Website

Howard Templeton
I read that the htc sense UI itself has to be updated before updating firmware, the sense UI makes it more difficult to detect updates? is this true? And the sense UI may disappear when updating to 2.1? Is this true? I am waiting for my phone to automatically detect updates as i read that the phone will do this. Will it only detect updates when on 3G? I don't get that where I live. Am I better off NOT updating my phone if its working ok? Thanks in advance for any help. Howard. ps, gr8 phone!!

The sense ui will be updated at the same time as the android version update. If you get the official update for your phone and carrier, it will have a new version of sense with it. Yes, sense ui makes it harder for them to update to the new version of android, this is why it takes longer to get the new version. What location are you in? Update usually can come to different carriers at different times, so you location and carrier can affect when you will get it. Yes you should get an automatic notification that it is available when it is. And it's definitely worth updating from 1.5 to 2.1.

Deactivated Account

Jul 11, 2010, 11:01:14 AM via Website

Thanks for that, sometimes i get an 'e' I guess that stands for.'Edge'? Is android or the phone itself got WiFi issues? My phone used Hero used to pick up a signal much easer than it does now, also, I've noticed that I loose the odd contact! At first I thought i was going mad until I read that someone else has same prob.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 11, 2010, 3:18:50 PM via Website

Edge is a very early form of 3G (closer to 2G) from what I understand again. Wi-Fi and 2G/3G are not really related, as it is 2 different technologies, but your phone's antennae may not be working properly (as well as it should be).

— modified on Jul 11, 2010, 3:20:01 PM