were is everone at?

• Replies:16
Jay Grayson
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 7:15:03 PM via Website

Its great they have a section for us here but we are still ignored??

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 10, 2010, 7:04:15 AM via App

Jay Grayson
Its great they have a section for us here but we are still ignored??

Hello there.. I don't own one of the Archos.. but tell me about it. I've seen them over the past few years. Does it have an Android OS, can you surf the web via WiFi, do you use it mainly for Video and Music, can it connect to a television? etc

— modified on Jul 10, 2010, 7:08:23 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 10, 2010, 4:52:45 PM via Website

I tried an Archos 5 tablet not too long ago and was impressed. It doesn't have an regular Android Market from what I saw (not as many apps), but that may be because I was using a different version. It can play videos well, and can access Wi-Fi. It's not ignored in my opinion, but the community isn't as large as the other Android devices yet.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 11, 2010, 7:26:14 AM via Website

HI Jay,

I don't have an Archos, or any android tablet, but I'd like to ask you a favor. I have developed 2 apps for android, and I believe I have made them so that they will play on a non-standard tablet size device. Would you please search the market for Party LIght or TetraGomy? They are both free and would really like to know if they are available on your market and if they work at all. Thanks

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 11, 2010, 5:37:03 PM via App

Jeremiah McLeod
HI Jay,

I don't have an Archos, or any android tablet, but I'd like to ask you a favor. I have developed 2 apps for android, and I believe I have made them so that they will play on a non-standard tablet size device. Would you please search the market for Party LIght or TetraGomy? They are both free and would really like to know if they are available on your market and if they work at all. Thanks

Ok.. both apps show up in my Market.. there is a free (with ads) version and a $1.00 (ad free) version of each app.

Also both work well on my HTC Eris.. I personally love the Party Light app.. and the strobe light is a groovy touch.

Jeremiah

Jul 11, 2010, 11:45:06 PM via Website

justJay

Ok.. both apps show up in my Market.. there is a free (with ads) version and a $1.00 (ad free) version of each app.

Also both work well on my HTC Eris.. I personally love the Party Light app.. and the strobe light is a groovy touch.

Thanks JustJay! Are you saying they showed up in your market, on your Eris or on an android tablet? Thanks much!

— modified on Jul 12, 2010, 6:57:34 AM

Douglas Carter

Jul 12, 2010, 10:33:11 AM via Website

I looked at the tablet today, and it is actually an Archos 7, but I couldn't find the apps. It may use a special app store because I didn't see as many apps available as I was expecting. I'll try and check with the owner later today.

Jeremiah

Jul 12, 2010, 7:47:41 PM via Website

Thanks Douglas, I'll search online to see if there is something I need to do to make them show up for tablets. In the android manifest file for your app, you can choose which screen sizes it supports, maybe there is some I need to add for tablets.

Droid Does Doug
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 25, 2010, 8:57:24 PM via Website

I will be receiving an Archos 5 with Android in a few days. One of the first things I will do is install the android marketplace. For some reason Archos didn't put it on the device.

Jeremiah

Sep 26, 2010, 3:35:57 AM via Website

Google limits which devices it allows to have the market place. As far as I know most of the archos tablets don't have the google market place because of technical reasons that google requires a device to have. Archos has it's own market place though: http://appslib.com/ Theres lots of apps on there, I've even gotten some of my own apps approved for it. Also theres more alternatives to the google market: www.getjar.com www.slideme.org

JustJay has suggested a way to get apps from the actual google market if you have access to an android phone with the market (sorry don't remember the post). What you do is, download the app from the market on your google phone. Then use an app like Linda Manager to back it up to your sd card. Then connect your sd card or android phone to your computer and copy the app (.apk file) from your sd card. Then you should be able to install it to your Archos from your computer.

Droid Does Doug

Sep 26, 2010, 8:42:44 AM via Website

I found a much easier way to put android market on the device.

Jeremiah

Sep 27, 2010, 4:36:02 AM via App

Droid Does Doug
I found a much easier way to put android market on the device.
How did you do it?

Droid Does Doug

Sep 27, 2010, 8:27:54 AM via Website

It is over at archosfans, am I allowed to link to it? Some people over there put together a little installer that you copy to your device. From what it sounds like, all you have to do is find it on the machine and install. Works with 1.7xx and higher.

Douglas Carter

Sep 27, 2010, 11:55:53 AM via Website

I don't have any problems with that, as long as the author of the post doesn't mind. Taking it up with him would be a good idea if you want to make sure you are not "stepping on anyone's toes."

Droid Does Doug

Sep 27, 2010, 7:11:27 PM via Website

I don't think they will have a problem, the site admin has a video about it on youtube and in the video description is a link to the forum post. That forum post has several mirrors to the installer. Youtube video with link to android market