DROID Eris Receiving Update July 16th

• Replies:27
justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 12, 2010, 10:35:20 PM via Website

According to Droid-Life:

Droid Eris users should expect to see an OTA update starting Friday July 16th. This update is not to Android 2.2, but does feature a bundle of OS enhancements.

Click here for the details…

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/12/breaking-droid-eris-receiving-update-july-16th/

— modified on Jul 13, 2010, 2:45:25 AM

Casey Beth
  • Forum posts: 79

Jul 15, 2010, 2:00:27 AM via App

I know this isn't the place for these questions but you (justjay) seem to be everywhere and we have the same phone and you seem very knowledgeable so I have a few questions: 1.the fact that our Eris will not get any more updates and will not be getting the froyo update does that make the Eris obsolete? will it become so in the future? 2. I have several file managers, but only lindas has the app memory seperate then overall memory, what happens when this gets full? will I be unable to add anymore apparently? 3. I used to have the option to play or download videos from sites like project free tv, now I can only watch them, do you know why? I really liked being able to save programs to watch whenever I don't have a strong signal. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanx!

justJay

Jul 15, 2010, 4:46:01 AM via Website

Answers:

1.the fact that our Eris will not get any more updates and will not be getting the froyo update does that make the Eris obsolete? will it become so in the future?

No where have I read that we with the Eris will not be getting the 2.2... Personally I believe the Eris will get at least a stripped down version.

As far as being obsolete.. it depends on how you use the verb. I don't fell my phone is obsolete when its newer then most people I know phones. My last phone was a BlackBerry Storm and my friend is still using it. Basicly I see a phone as being obsolete when it is no longer able to do what "I" want it to do. My laptop i'm using to type this answer is many years old with only 512 MB ram and still does what "I" need it to do (I am however thinking of getting a new one soon).

2. I have several file managers, but only lindas has the app memory seperate then overall memory, what happens when this gets full? will I be unable to add anymore apparently?

File Managers mainly let you "see" what's already on your phone.. your Eris has 159MB of Application Storage; if this get "full".. just uninstall some apps. If we do get the 2.2 update.. it is said to give app developers the option to allow their app to be installed to the SD card instead of the internal memory (which will help with our somewhat limited application storage).
Linda Manager will back up your apps to the SD card as well.. (it doesn't let you install apps onto the SD card) So I back up apps like the larger games etc. to be able to reinstall them to the phones memory from the SD card. I have about 190 apps backed up.. only about 85 are currently installed for use at this moment.

3. I used to have the option to play or download videos from sites like project free tv, now I can only watch them, do you know why?
I really liked being able to save programs to watch whenever I don't have a strong signal. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanx!

This I'm not sure of.. not something I do much of.. There are times I'll put a movie or serie's episodes on my phone but I use the computer to convert then upload it to my phone. Maybe someone else can jump in here and help with this question.

— modified on Jul 15, 2010, 4:55:18 AM

Casey Beth

Jul 21, 2010, 6:11:34 AM via App

think it'll happen?

justJay

Jul 21, 2010, 6:47:13 AM via Website

If you haven't yet received the update on your Eris and cannot wait any longer, the OTC update is here on the Google servers for you to download and install manually.

See my "HowTo download and install the official 2.1 MR4 release Manually" post:

CLICK HERE

— modified on Jul 21, 2010, 7:10:40 AM

jntt
  • Forum posts: 8

Jul 21, 2010, 4:42:05 PM via App

I got my update on July 19 .but I still haven't noticed anything new.
the start up is still kind of slow.
if u got an update tell me how your experience was.

I'm just waiting for the 2.2 :))

justJay

Jul 21, 2010, 5:14:06 PM via Website

Read Douglas Carters Blog to better understand this update:

The update includes the following enhancements:

* Improved audio controls
* Enhanced speed dial
* Improved text, video, and picture messaging functionality
* Phone's contact sync with Backup Assistant, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, and Facebook
* Weather app enhancements and stability fixes
* Phone now pairs with Jabra Bluetooth headset
* Phone syncs with Gmail contacts

— modified on Jul 21, 2010, 5:14:57 PM

jntt

Jul 22, 2010, 6:53:38 AM via App

still dnt notice anything new .

jntt

Jul 22, 2010, 6:54:16 AM via App

I understand the update .

justJay

Jul 22, 2010, 6:04:15 PM via App

The main improvements I have noticed:

Typing seems smoother.. Weather app working great; it use to have issues with location update when travelling from one area to the next.

But the biggest improvement seems to be the "phone" features.. works better/faster.. less time waiting for it to open, dial, or connect call.

Casey Beth

Jul 23, 2010, 9:49:26 AM via App

so I received the system update for my Eris last night but when I hit the update button it went to the check updates section of my settings which said my system was up to date, but it never updated?? Is this common? Will I receive the update again?

justJay

Jul 23, 2010, 4:00:47 PM via Website

To check if your phone does have the latest update:

1. Click "Menu"
  2. then "settings"
  3. then "About Phone"
  4. then "Software information"

Then insure the following match below:

Kernel: 2.6.29-8a03cb9a htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build: 2.37.605.4 CL185970 release-keys

If not; you are not up-to-date.

— modified on Jul 23, 2010, 4:02:31 PM

Casey Beth

Jul 23, 2010, 6:00:40 PM via App

Ya I'm sure it did not update

justJay

Jul 23, 2010, 6:17:52 PM via Website

Turn Phone all the way off and then back on.
Also in sure battery is charged and you have good signal strength.
Then check for update again:

To check if your phone has an update available:

1. Click "Menu"
2. then "settings"
3. then "About Phone"
4. then "System Updates"

Also see Verizon`s instructions: CLICK HERE

— modified on Jul 23, 2010, 6:23:23 PM

Casey Beth

Jul 23, 2010, 8:23:00 PM via App

that didn't work either...do u think there's something wrong with my phone? Am I just s.o.l.?

justJay

Jul 23, 2010, 9:45:18 PM via App

justJay
To check if your phone does have the latest update:

1. Click "Menu"
  2. then "settings"
  3. then "About Phone"
  4. then "Software information"

Then insure the following match below:

Kernel: 2.6.29-8a03cb9a htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build: 2.37.605.4 CL185970 release-keys

If not; you are not up-to-date.

Did you check this?

Casey Beth

Jul 24, 2010, 2:13:58 AM via App

the kernel # is the same but my build # is 2.36.605.1 CL165907 release-keys

justJay

Jul 24, 2010, 5:35:15 AM via App

justJay
If you haven't yet received the update on your Eris and cannot wait any longer, the OTC update is here on the Google servers for you to download and install manually.

See my "HowTo download and install the official 2.1 MR4 release Manually" post:

CLICK HERE
You might want to update the way I did.. click above for step by set directions.

Sergio Shpadi
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 6, 2012, 10:08:56 AM via Website

Yeah, it's trur