Deleted information

• Replies:5
Donald Campbell
  • Forum posts: 5

Jul 22, 2010, 7:31:38 PM via Website

If I delete an app, or a photo, is it really gone or just stored somewhere else on the phone or memory card? I tried the search feature and did not find anything, so sorry if this has been posted and answered before.

Donald Campbell

Jul 22, 2010, 7:37:54 PM via Website

Oops, the missing information: I have a Hero running the 2.1 operating system.

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 22, 2010, 8:32:30 PM via App

Great question.. most apps seem to leave folders with some data on the SD card; little to none seems to be left on the phones internal memory.

Looking at my SD card I see folders from several apps I have uninstalled. This isn't always a bad thing.. if you plan on reinstalling or upgrading an app; all your settings and info is still there without needing to do anything.

On the other hand; if you have no plans of ever reinstalling the app it is safe to delete the folder from your SD card. You can delete folders by either connecting to your computer via your USB cable or by using a file exploring app like Linda Manager.

— modified on Jul 23, 2010, 3:28:04 AM

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 23, 2010, 7:51:41 AM via Website

I too have noticed lots of apps leave behind their folders and files even after you uninstall them. When deleting a photo though, I think it is gone. I don't think there is a recycle bin or such like windows. If your trying to get a photo back, you may be able to do it with some type of recovery software and connecting your sd card to your computer with a micro sd reader. The recovery software I use for hard drives is called OnTract's "Easy Recovery" , http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/ It is a bit pricey but there is a trial version that only shows you what it can recover. So if it can recover from an sd card then the trial version will at least tell you if it can.

Donald Campbell

Jul 24, 2010, 7:43:48 PM via Website

Thanks for the information. We are on vacation and switched hotels so I could not thank you in a time;y manner.. Thanks again.