Google translator

• Replies:8
  • Answered
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 24, 2010, 12:53:25 AM via Website

Hello folks; I'm relatively new to this android development gig so please excuse my ignorance. My first app "Ship, Captain & Crew" was launched a few months back in English and is moderately successful. I recently used Google translator to make a Spanish version but have gotten no sales and no comments so I'm not sure how good the translation came out. Has anyone else tried this and was it worth the effort?

Cliff Koperski

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 24, 2010, 7:07:13 AM via Website

Hi Cliff, welcome to the forums. I too am starting to do some android development. I have two apps out so far but only supporting english so far, but that may change. How long has your spanish version been on the market? How are you advertising it, and do you offer a trial or free version? Read this post for some of our suggestions on marketing: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/forum/thread/399930/Marketing-apps?si=0#p477401

I got an email from a company that does translations for mobile apps, they claim to use native speakers. Their site is called www.onehourtranslation.com

Deactivated Account

Jul 24, 2010, 4:36:48 PM via Website

Thanks Jeremiah: Good luck to you in the Android world. My Spanish app has only been out 2 weeks but as I said there has been no interest and before I go to a translation service I need to find out if there's a market for it and/or did the Google translator work good enough? I'm targeting the Hispanic community in the US and I just listed it for free to see if I get any interest.

— modified on Jul 24, 2010, 4:49:39 PM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 26, 2010, 12:26:40 PM via Website

As it stands currently from what I have read/heard, the average Android users buys somewhat less paid apps than the regular iPhone user, but that might start changing soon. Placing ads inside of a free version of the app may, as Jeremiah suggested, may be a good way to increase downloads of the game. I believe that a free version with ads would generate much more downloads (and possibly profit) for you than the paid version. I'm not too big of a fan of dice games myself, so I can't really say how great it is.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Aug 15, 2010, 6:40:21 AM via Website

So Cliff, has your app done any better? Did you find a marketing method that works? How many downloads does it have now?

Deactivated Account

Aug 15, 2010, 4:03:06 PM via Website

Hello again Jeremiah: Not long after our last exchange of post I switched it to free and while it hasn't set the world on fire at least I got a few hits (about 150). The interesting part is that there have been no negative comments about the translation so if anyone wants to go this route it appears that the Google Translator is not a bad tool to use. The not so good news is that there doesn't appear to be a very big market for Spanish apps. In any case, thanks for the follow up. Cliff

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 16, 2010, 12:04:29 PM via Website

Cliff Koperski
Hello again Jeremiah: Not long after our last exchange of post I switched it to free and while it hasn't set the world on fire at least I got a few hits (about 150). The interesting part is that there have been no negative comments about the translation so if anyone wants to go this route it appears that the Google Translator is not a bad tool to use. The not so good news is that there doesn't appear to be a very big market for Spanish apps. In any case, thanks for the follow up. Cliff

Yeah, the non-US market is still relatively small at this point. You have to consider how many Spanish speakers have the money or desire to buy a smartphone, and then from that segment, those that chose Android. From that group, you have to consider those that have access to the paid Android Market, and those that want to buy your paid app. It can be a little over-whelming when you really think about it. I wish you more success with you app.

umut hope
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 8:42:16 AM via App

the best for me

سليمان
  • Forum posts: 1

May 7, 2011, 5:41:48 PM via App

Cliff Koperski
Hello folks; I'm relatively new to this android development gig so please excuse my ignorance. My first app "Ship, Captain & Crew" was launched a few months back in English and is moderately successful. I recently used Google translator to make a Spanish version but have gotten no sales and no comments so I'm not sure how good the translation came out. Has anyone else tried this and was it worth the effort?

Cliff Koperski