Screen Capture in Background.

• Replies:22
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Jul 26, 2010 11:26:03 AM

Hi.,
I had seen an app in this forum like drocap2. I want to develop an application like that which captures screen even when the application is running in background.please can one let me how to proceed..

Jul 26, 2010 6:11:32 PM

if you use the home++ beta, you can set the launcher to capture your home screen when you press your camera key. this doesnt require a root, but it only allows use when at home.

Jul 30, 2010 12:46:33 AM

home++ is an open beta that is available on the market, it will improve a lot over the next few months ive heard since still a "beta" and already supports scrollable widgets.

Jul 30, 2010 11:10:21 AM

Wyatt Yoss
home++ is an open beta that is available on the market, it will improve a lot over the next few months ive heard since still a "beta" and already supports scrollable widgets.

Does it allow screen capture or something?

@sridhar: Googleing how to take a screencapture is a good way to go from here, but maybe this one can help: http://www.androidcentral.com/taking-screenshots-without-root

Aug 15, 2010 9:05:06 AM

@Wyatt i installed the home++beta but i dont know how to screen cap..i keep pressing the camera button and nothings happening..maybe im doing it wrong

*edit*
ok im sorry i just found out how it works great app i like it, wish it can screenshot browsers and anything not just homescreen though

and btw what's this root thing i have been hearing it from you guys alot lately and i have no idea what it its..links anyone?

— modified on Aug 15, 2010 10:30:55 AM

Aug 16, 2010 11:49:56 AM

Rooting...yeah. I'm going to have to make a thread on rooting one of these days so I don't have to explain it so often.

Rooting your phone is basically a process where you make yourself a "superuser" on your phone, allowing you to do pretty much whatever you want to, and install whatever you want to. It can be a dangerous process, and if the rooting process is not followed correctly, your phone can be ruined, or "bricked." Almost every phone has a different method for rooting, as they come from several manufacturers, and there are many models. To find a rooting app, you should search on the Android Market for the name of your phone + root. There may not be an app for that yet, though. Another way is to google "your phone's name" and "root method." I would assume your phone has already been rooted, but there is a small possibility it has not been done yet. Let me know if you get started, and what you find.

Aug 16, 2010 1:15:56 PM

hmm i see..i dont know the real advantage of being a "superuser" but im kinda scared when you said there's a possibility it might get bricked. I did a little googling about how to root my phone and they all got this disclaimer about getting the phone bricked so i wont try it just yet but maybe if i need an app that requires to be rooted maybe i will try it later..and thanks for the explaination :)

Sep 9, 2010 1:25:55 PM

@sridhar: Googleing how to take a screencapture is a good way to go from here, but maybe this one can help: http://www.androidcentral.com/taking-screenshots-without-root

i tried that tutorial i got stuck on the part where you open the ddms.bat because it cant detect my phone...any suggestions what im missing here? when i run the SDK Setup.exe it says "Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository.xml, reason: HTTPS SSL error. You might want to force download through HTTP in the settings."

i have installed the java req but not yet the eclipse..is the eclipse a req to install to run the sdk?

Sep 20, 2010 6:31:06 PM

argh..so frustrating

thanks for the download tip i did it an it worked i got to update install the sdk, but i got lost again on the installation of usb driver..all these trouble for a homescreen shot -__- ..i guess i will stick to the home++ app much easier :D

Sep 21, 2010 4:32:17 PM

waaaa it worked!!! after agonizing hours of experimenting i managed to do it right, thanks Jeremiah for pointing that usb problem topic and not giving up on me :D

here's a proof of screen shot:

and the good thing here is you can screenshot everything not just the homescreen ^^

— modified on Sep 21, 2010 4:34:34 PM