So, what exactly is rooting, and is it for me?

• Replies:72
  • Stickied
Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Feb 3, 2014, 7:26:32 AM via Website

well, that's a great long and good article stating what exactly is rooting ??? What are the advantages and disadvantages of rooting?? I can say its all about rooting !! I looks like you have put a lot of efforts out there ...

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Feb 14, 2014, 1:00:06 PM via Website

john walker
I rooted my droid, overclocked, and have wifi hotspot.... can anyone explain how to create a backup? I've searched all over and it seems everyone has different ideas on what to do.

To backup your rom you need a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or TeamWinRecoveryProject. Installing depends on your phone as some can just be flashed using stock recovery or an app like Flashify while other phones require using fastboot/adb while connected to your PC/laptop. Once installed, you can then make a Nandroid backup, which is basically a perfect copy (or image) of your phone thereby saving both system and personal data files. Basically it's like a restore point; if your phone gets borked then you can restore it to a previous state, without having to set it up again, or download/restore apps, and without losing data such as mms, call logs etc.

Sinkster

Marym Mahmoud
  • Forum posts: 105

Mar 9, 2014, 12:37:22 AM via Website

Best Definition Ever thanks

Android Geek Blogger Best Android Launcher

Camille G.
  • Forum posts: 5

Apr 28, 2014, 2:49:15 AM via App

I was wondering if anyone can help me with pdanet. I do usb w.my pc an my htclte ...I now hav a galaxy3 tab. im told thru pdanet I havto use bluetooth. so I downloaded pdanet on my tablet along with foxfi as instructed they do pair....yet my galaxy3 isnt online. I cannot figure out wat im doin wrong its driving me crazy. so ive been searchn on ebay for an accessory to try to hav my galaxy3 hooked up to my htc thru a usb...cannot find any attachment watso ever.
can anyone help me with this?

Amy
  • Forum posts: 7

Oct 26, 2015, 8:05:05 AM via Website

Thanks very much for your sharing post. I am planning to try iRoot to root my OnePlus. Hope it will work.

Adam Carnol
  • Forum posts: 22

Nov 9, 2015, 10:18:44 AM via Website

As well as this is great job.

Denise Nash
  • Forum posts: 9

Apr 15, 2016, 3:50:55 PM via Website

I think it always not possible that we will get success after we root our phone. So, it will be better to set our mind that anything can happen after rooting the phone.

Thank you for providing the details about pros and cons of rooting phone. It will be beneficial for us.

AuroraHope
  • Forum posts: 8

Apr 26, 2016, 6:31:07 PM via Website

thanks for great information. I came here to explain what is rooting since that's what your thread topic read. But it seems as if you have already found everything about rooting.

Sara
  • Forum posts: 14

Jul 23, 2016, 4:31:37 AM via Website

For me, I would like to try the rooting as I can understand more about my android phone! Rooting is like an adventure deserving your trying. I have tried to root phone with KingRoot, two times trying and I finally succeed it! I am a little proud of myself. Tips: if you want to join this club, make sure you are following the right rooting procedurs and you can make it!

dario pavan
  • Forum posts: 17

Jul 23, 2016, 2:49:02 PM via Website

Thank you so much for the information Douglas, now i know what is rooting.

SamiJulie
  • Forum posts: 21

Dec 18, 2016, 1:39:34 PM via Website

Sometimes Android users root their Android to keep their device from draining easily. The method to root can be different due to different device. Root can be easy, or fail to root. And reasons why you fail to root is also complicated.

Edit by Admin: Link to external site removed.

— modified on Feb 13, 2017, 10:00:51 AM by moderator

Christian Hannah
  • Forum posts: 22

Feb 13, 2017, 9:22:44 AM via Website

Rooting means gaining root access to your device. When you take your phone out of the box, while there are plenty of settings you can tweak, you can only alter what the manufacturer allows you to. By gaining root access you can modify the device's software on the very deepest level. Please note that once your phone has been rooted, your manufacturer warranty is null in void. This is probably the number one reason for people not rooting their Android devices, but if you decide rooting is not for you, the process is just as easily undone.

Edit by Admin: Link to external site removed.

— modified on Feb 13, 2017, 10:01:28 AM by moderator

Justin Jones
  • Forum posts: 13

Feb 14, 2017, 4:04:18 AM via Website

Thanks for such a post. However, i don't think it's neccessary for everyone unless you want to customize phone or develop apps. Also, rooting will void the warranty.

Jancterp
  • Forum posts: 12

Mar 1, 2017, 1:49:09 AM via Website

The root problem is very common, can't deny some will lose data after [root Adnroid][1] phones

Admin Edit: External Links are Forbidden

— modified on Apr 14, 2017, 9:52:03 AM by moderator

Juned Memon
  • Forum posts: 14

May 15, 2017, 4:21:59 PM via Website

That means Custom ROMs cant be installed without rooting android device?:?

cindy Ali
  • Forum posts: 10

May 24, 2017, 5:42:52 AM via Website

Thanks for the info! I will be more careful with root!:)

John Furystrom
  • Forum posts: 47

Jul 14, 2017, 10:15:22 AM via Website

nice article dude.

George Kim
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 6, 2017, 12:45:49 PM via Website

well thanks for helping me out. took me years but i'm finally here. and with the amount of bloatware i have atm, idk when i'm going to pull it off.

Gary Stevenson
  • Forum posts: 3

Sep 6, 2017, 12:54:05 PM via Website

@Juned It would seem, yes. Also, I've heard from a friend you can't re-root once you've rooted your phone. is this true?

— modified on Sep 6, 2017, 12:55:06 PM

James Albert
  • Forum posts: 20

Dec 26, 2017, 8:29:40 PM via Website

Sticky thread, thanks for the info :)

David Jordan
  • Forum posts: 3

Oct 25, 2018, 8:00:59 AM via Website

I'm on a Boost Mobile Galaxy S3. Just upgraded to Kit Kat 4.4.2 and have been mulling over whether to root and flash a new rom. I'm terribly stupid when it comes to rooting/software trickery. Is there a difference between Sprint and Boost Mobile roms? Thanks in advance, should you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Mark Deutsch
  • Forum posts: 27

May 11, 2019, 9:03:00 AM via Website

I see a lot of individuals asking how to UN root. not that I need to do that but rather can someone clarify how you would approach doing this.

Abbas Shakhi
  • Forum posts: 47

May 18, 2019, 9:26:14 AM via Website

Root means to rid the restrictions of developers added by manufactures of device. By rooting Android device you can free your smartphone from restrictions. Rooting is considered one of the dangerous method because sometimes it damages the phone.
But many peoples accept root due to requirement including me. I rooted my smartphone to run hacking apps like Game Killer and Game Guardian and much more.
The benefits of the root are unlimited if you have some knowledge of Android coding then you can customize your phone according to your shape.
After rooting the device, you will have become the boss of your smartphone.

But I suggest If you gonna root your device then choose the best rooting application. Don't try to root with something less trusted apps.

Root means freedom of device