Steak Timer

• Replies:17
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 31, 2010, 10:22:39 AM via Website

Steak Timer helps you cook perfect steaks every time! Select the thickness of steak, desired doneness and let Steak Timer do the rest (Except physically cook your food).
Push the home button to run in background while you do other things on your phone, and it will notify you when the steak needs to be flipped or is done!

Someone asked for this app in an Android forum so I decided to give it a shot and this is what I came up with. If you have no idea how to cook a steak this is very helpful. Mostly for beginners. Going to be updated with nice graphics soon.

http://wonton-games.blogspot.com/

— modified on Sep 16, 2010, 9:37:23 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 31, 2010, 12:08:09 PM via Website

Wow, you sure have a lot of quality looking apps. I'm trying to install them and give some feedback on them. Have you thought about joining the AndroidPIT developer community and uploading your apps to the AndroidPIT website and App Center?

Some of the comments on you app include suggestions for metric measurements (length and temperature). Other than that, there doesn't seem to be anything missing unless you want to add a lot more functionality (in terms of new features to the app)

— modified on Aug 31, 2010, 1:42:35 PM

Deactivated Account

Aug 31, 2010, 7:43:04 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
Wow, you sure have a lot of quality looking apps. I'm trying to install them and give some feedback on them. Have you thought about joining the AndroidPIT developer community and uploading your apps to the AndroidPIT website and App Center?

Some of the comments on you app include suggestions for metric measurements (length and temperature). Other than that, there doesn't seem to be anything missing unless you want to add a lot more functionality (in terms of new features to the app)

Thanks Douglas,

Yes I have seen that comment about metric units and I will probably implement them when I get around to putting in better graphics as well.

I was also thinking of making more functionality by maybe including chicken/lamb/etc, but I think i will create a new app just for that. I like how simple this app is =)

Thanks for the comment! I'll look into the developer community.

Deactivated Account

Sep 1, 2010, 9:25:03 PM via Website

justJay
Nice again... How about an EGG Timer?

Sounds good ;) I could probably whip one up in a day. I'll see if there aren't some already on the market =P

Thanks for the idea!

Frank W.
  • Forum posts: 5,103

Sep 1, 2010, 9:33:15 PM via App

The timer is a nice idea. For me a steak is not as difficult as a roast. (is it the right word for a big piece of meat in the oven?). Thatswhy: What do you think about a roast - timer. It would match good to a steak timer.

Frank

"Irgendwann, möglicherweise aber auch nie, werde ich dich bitten, mir eine kleine Gefälligkeit zu erweisen." (Don Corleone) Für ein friedliches Miteinander"

Deactivated Account

Sep 1, 2010, 10:03:55 PM via Website

Frank W.
The timer is a nice idea. For me a steak is not as difficult as a roast. (is it the right word for a big piece of meat in the oven?). Thatswhy: What do you think about a roast - timer. It would match good to a steak timer.

Frank

I was thinking of making a general timer for all sort of food like lamb, steak, chicken, roasts =P

I'll post it here when I get around to it ;)

Frank W.
  • Forum posts: 5,103

Sep 2, 2010, 7:22:26 AM via Website

Great idea! Thank you!

"Irgendwann, möglicherweise aber auch nie, werde ich dich bitten, mir eine kleine Gefälligkeit zu erweisen." (Don Corleone) Für ein friedliches Miteinander"

Deactivated Account

Sep 16, 2010, 9:38:34 AM via Website

Added Celsius, forgot about converting the inches until after I released the update. I think i'll make a page directly after the splash page asking if you want Metric or Imperial.

Deactivated Account

Oct 5, 2010, 1:13:40 AM via Website

Soon to be released Steak Timer Plus! Includes multiple timers and updated graphics. Will be $0.99 on the Android Market in a few days. Will update when released.

Deactivated Account

Oct 13, 2010, 10:11:01 PM via Website

Steak Timer Plus released. And yes Douglas the metric units made it in as well although a little tacked on but in happy with it.

Check it out! =P

http://wonton-games.blogspot.com/2010/10/steak-timer-plus.html

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Oct 14, 2010, 5:42:39 AM via App

Any hope of seeing a multi-kitchen timer.. that I would buy.

The Steak timer is cool.. but I don't eat that many steaks at home to need an app just for Steaks.

I do however need and app to remind me to take the frozen pizza out of the oven after 20 minutes or so.. would even be cooler.. If it looked like the pizza was cooking on the phones screen.

I would settle for a nice multi-timer though.. with many of the common needed timers.. eggs.. chicken.. steaks.. baking.. etc.

Maybe model it like a they do with microwave ovens.. with most of the common cooking.. grilled.. and baked items as options.. or let us make up our own timer within the app. So when I make my moms famous cheese-cake it comes out perfect every time.

Just my thoughts................ :)

— modified on Oct 14, 2010, 5:45:02 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 14, 2010, 4:21:31 PM via Website

Does the plus version come with the ability to regulate the cooking temperature? I looked into the comments and that was one of the suggestions. Looks good otherwise. I thought the Plus version came with multiple timers Jay?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Oct 14, 2010, 6:00:00 PM via App

I think when they say multiple timers.. its not different types of timers.. but multiples of the steak timer.. let's say you put one steak on the grill.. then 5 minutes later you throw on another steak.. you can start another timer.

— modified on Oct 14, 2010, 8:32:34 PM

Deactivated Account

Oct 16, 2010, 8:46:38 AM via Website

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Yes a bunch of people have been telling me to make a multiple food timer. Jay I like your idea about having your own recipe and being able to incorporate timers into it. Although that seems like a lot of coding work....

Right now it does multiple timers meaning if someone wants their steak rare, and someone wants it medium rare, you can have 2 separate timers going to keep track of each steak. I had about 4 comments of people saying they would like to have multiple timers meaning different steaks at a time. At the moment it just counts down, but my friend suggested to have it so it will tell you when to put the different steaks on to have them finish all at the same time.

As for multiple temperatures its hard to do, I only have the formula for high temperature (about 450F) I would need multiple databases for multiple cooking temps and its just a headache. Most steaks are cooked at high temp on the BBQ anyways.

Sucks that i'm in school right now so I don't have time to sit down and crank these improvements out but I will try.

Again thanks for all the feedback!

Cameron