Anyway to use Android to fill in a PDF form?

• Replies:31
Phil
  • Forum posts: 47

Oct 5, 2010, 8:36:37 AM via App

Anyway to use Android to fill in a PDF form?

Hi all,
I trying to figure out if I can use Android for some engineering logs I take daily and then sync to my laptop. If I generate a PDF form in Acrobat on a Windows PC, is there a app that will allow me to fill out the form on Android and save the completed form to transfer back to the PC?
Cheers,
Phil

— modified on Oct 5, 2010, 8:37:23 AM

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Oct 6, 2010, 6:41:09 AM via Website

Documents to go for android has probably one of the most powerful pdf viewers. As this article shows: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/documents-to-go-for-android-adds-pdf-and-powerpoint-support/1765

Though he said it will save the pdf files, I don't know if you can fill in the forms with it. I would go to the makers of documents to go's website: http://www.dataviz.com/ and email them to ask if this is supported.

Phil

Oct 6, 2010, 3:19:09 PM via Website

Thanks, I'm looking into it now.

Cheers,
Phil

Pops
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 8:49:32 PM via Website

Phil
Thanks, I'm looking into it now.

Cheers,
Phil

Phil
Did you find a solution to filling out PDF forms?
Thanks
Pops

Phil

Nov 29, 2010, 1:17:10 PM via Website

No, Not yet.

Phil

Apr 4, 2011, 9:37:16 PM via Website

Thanks, this looks awesome.

Alan Gould

Jul 27, 2011, 6:34:04 PM via Website

You can re-create forms using a service like www.airmobility.net. Once the data is collected back on ther server, this service auto-generates a formated PDF. Supports photo capture as well.

Phil

Jul 28, 2011, 9:48:20 PM via Website

Alan Gould
You can re-create forms using a service like www.airmobility.net. Once the data is collected back on ther server, this service auto-generates a formated PDF. Supports photo capture as well.

Thank you for posting this info. I looked over their website. Can you be more specific on how to accomplish this using Airmobility services?

Cheers,
Phil

Lori DP

Aug 10, 2011, 4:25:35 AM via Website

Jeremiah
Documents to go for android has probably one of the most powerful pdf viewers. As this article shows: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/documents-to-go-for-android-adds-pdf-and-powerpoint-support/1765

Though he said it will save the pdf files, I don't know if you can fill in the forms with it. I would go to the makers of documents to go's website: http://www.dataviz.com/ and email them to ask if this is supported.

HEY IVE GOT GREAT NEWS!!! qPDF Note is really user friendly and a visual way of entering PDF Forms you have already created. You can also use the FILL AND SIGN PDF FORMS. I have both, but prefer the qPDF Notes because I can see the form as I enter it. Kinda depends on what type of work you are doing. I love this and work in a hospital and have to fill out forms all day long. NO MORE PAPER with me. Though it did take a lot of work setting up the PDF files (1 form has 156 fields) Good luck and hope to hear it worked for ya :) !

Spamuel Needbeef

Aug 11, 2011, 10:24:09 AM via Website

Some awesome help on this thread, thanks guys, just one question: if I have a pdf file on my android phone and wish to turn it into a fill-able form which I can then fill in with Fill and Sign PDF, how do I do it?

Phil

Aug 15, 2011, 11:40:50 PM via Website

Spamuel Needbeef
Some awesome help on this thread, thanks guys, just one question: if I have a pdf file on my android phone and wish to turn it into a fill-able form which I can then fill in with Fill and Sign PDF, how do I do it?

Arguably the best way is to use Adobe Acrobat, the company and software which created the PDF format. There is alot of help how to do this in Acrobat, a Youtube search would give you alot of tutorials.

If you do not have Acrobat, can't get, don't want to buy it, get a freeware program here:
<http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-pdf-tools.htm>

There's a link under 'Specific Tools' for 'Make Fillable PDF Forms.'

I'm still working on the perfect Android solution and I will keep this updated.
Thanks for the qPDF info. I don't know that one.

Cheers,
Phil

Phil

Aug 16, 2011, 9:17:59 AM via Website

Regarding the AIRmobility site:

Alan Gould sent you a message:

Pretty straight forward. Just go to www.airmobility.net, register, make your form, dowload the Android client at www.airmobility.net/a subit your firm from your Android device, data collected under Real Time Status supports a PDF report. There is a video on the site that walks you through all of this as well.

This works very, very well with incredible features, and for free. Big disadvantage is you need an internet connection in order to have the info traded back and forth.

Phil

Phil

Aug 16, 2011, 9:22:15 AM via Website

If anyone is interested, I am working with a company to develop something specific to my needs. I would like to learn and write the code myself but I just do not have the time. Busy at work. Here is the current details of what I am working on:

Objective of final product:
1. Generate PDF log files with data entered by operators onto a Android device.
2. Final Data saved and backed up as PDF files.
3. Trending Chart data:
-available over selected time frame of any and all entered data
-simply and clearly showing unusual values
-easily viewed by vessel and shoreside office

Characteristics of final product:
Form-fillable PDF
PDF form with ability of end user to continually update and tweak form data
Downloadable .apk application able to run on multiple devices and without an internet connection
Chart Trending
Signature
Attach Pictures
Email ability

From the Operator perspective:
Open PDF on either phone or tablet
go around to various machinery systems and enter data (numerical, text, dates, notes, etc.)
Filled in PDF ability to "Save As" separate from original, blank PDF.
Filled in PDF ability to email directly from device
Trending & Charting cability to study entered data and determine potential problems with machinery

From the owners perspective:
Receive an email of daily log files in PDF format
Receive a simple monthly chart of all entered data clearly seeing any problem values (out of range) and/or missing values.

Cheers,
Phil

anthony ward

Aug 19, 2011, 2:46:06 AM via Website

hey bud, If you can get that working that would be great. I am currently trying to find a way to get my techs to digitalize thier forms. I can't just create a new one so I created a fillable version of our physical service forms. the downfall is that it is in landscape and requires signatures. all the PDF apps on the markey will only work in portrait, if you can create an app that would allow landscape mode on fillable forms that would be great.

feel free to contact me.

Phil

Aug 19, 2011, 7:21:45 AM via Website

I sent the update note and will keep you posted

Susan Sims
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 1, 2011, 10:36:42 PM via Website

We (Qoppa Software) have an app that will let you fill PDF forms and then save them or send them via email.
The resulting file is standard PDF, so can be read by other PDF viewers.
qPDF Notes is our app, it sells for under $10, and you can use a free version if you don't mind watermarks.
We also offer a free viewer - qPDF Viewer - that is fast with good navigation.

Phil

Sep 3, 2011, 1:21:40 PM via Website

Susan Sims
We (Qoppa Software) have an app that will let you fill PDF forms and then save them or send them via email.
qPDF Notes is our app, it sells for under $10, and you can use a free version if you don't mind watermarks.

Link:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.qoppa.activities.noteskey

David Jermakian

Nov 17, 2011, 5:05:53 PM via Website

Just wondering if anyone has tried Acrobat Reader X and whether you can fill in forms using Reader?

Sean

Jan 21, 2012, 1:05:15 AM via Website

piggy-backing on to this thread, I'm looking for an app that will retain the Auto-Calculate functionality of a PDF form I made on my PC. I tried everything suggested in this thread, and qPDF gets me the closest to what I want, but it doesn't appear to retain the calculated field functionality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

— modified on Jan 21, 2012, 1:06:58 AM

Susan Sims

Jan 23, 2012, 11:07:58 PM via Website

Sean
piggy-backing on to this thread, I'm looking for an app that will retain the Auto-Calculate functionality of a PDF form I made on my PC. I tried everything suggested in this thread, and qPDF gets me the closest to what I want, but it doesn't appear to retain the calculated field functionality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I just checked with our developers, and am happy to tell you that the ability calculate in PDF forms IS retained by forms accessed and even annotated in qPDF Notes. By that, I mean that PDF forms you access, annotate, and then send/save from qPDF notes will still have the auto-calculate formulas on the fields, though that calculation will not have occurred while open in qPDF Notes. I'm also told that the functionality for that Auto Calculate to happen inside qPDF Notes is a 'coming soon' feature.

json

Apr 8, 2012, 11:19:33 PM via Website

Hi Phil, I am interested in your product below, if you have developed anything that can take care of your problem.
I am looking for exactly the same functions and i have to fill out pdf-form WITH the ability to attach pictures.
(if it can take pictures directly from camera instead of from library it would be perfect)
Please answer if you got any suggestion on your problem.

Phil
If anyone is interested, I am working with a company to develop something specific to my needs. I would like to learn and write the code myself but I just do not have the time. Busy at work. Here is the current details of what I am working on:

Objective of final product:
1. Generate PDF log files with data entered by operators onto a Android device.
2. Final Data saved and backed up as PDF files.
3. Trending Chart data:
-available over selected time frame of any and all entered data
-simply and clearly showing unusual valuesö
-easily viewed by vessel and shoreside office

Characteristics of final product:
Form-fillable PDF
PDF form with ability of end user to continually update and tweak form data
Downloadable .apk application able to run on multiple devices and without an internet connection
Chart Trending
Signature
Attach Pictures
Email ability

From the Operator perspective:
Open PDF on either phone or tablet
go around to various machinery systems and enter data (numerical, text, dates, notes, etc.)
Filled in PDF ability to "Save As" separate from original, blank PDF.
Filled in PDF ability to email directly from device
Trending & Charting cability to study entered data and determine potential problems with machinery

From the owners perspective:
Receive an email of daily log files in PDF format
Receive a simple monthly chart of all entered data clearly seeing any problem values (out of range) and/or missing values.

Cheers,
Phil

Dan Trottier

Sep 4, 2012, 2:59:43 AM via Website

I installed qPDF Note (full version) and found that it doesn't seem to obey field format settings. I have a form that has 3 separate fields for each of a year, a month, and a day. The year field is set to be a custom date format of YYYY, the month field a custom date format of MM, and the day field a custom date of DD.

In Adobe Acrobat Reader X and Adobe Reader for Android the form opens and when I select either of the year, month, or day fields I get a nice calendar selection popup that lets me pick the year, month, or day as appropriate. I can't enter an invalid date like month 33 or day 87. I need to be able to provide some controls over data entry into the form to help ensure correct data entry.

Also I have a field that I want to associate a java script to for more sophisticated data entry checking. Will/does qPDF support this now or in the future?

I like the Adobe Reader but I need one thing it doesn't have. That is the ability to "Save as:" instead of "Send to:" which doesn't give me the option of renaming the filled out form and saving it to the local device storage. I wish Adobe would add a "Save as:" option to the list of Email, Dropbox, etc.

Regards,

Dan

Scott Lim

Oct 25, 2013, 5:22:48 PM via Website

Susan Sims

Hi, I have an Acrobat form that has some calculations, will your program do that? There are plenty that enable to fill out a form but I haven't found one to do calculations so I can create mobile cash register with tablet with complicated shipping procedures that my custom form will handle.

Thanks!!

Susan Sims

Oct 25, 2013, 7:09:08 PM via Website

Scott Lim
Susan Sims

Hi, I have an Acrobat form that has some calculations, will your program do that? There are plenty that enable to fill out a form but I haven't found one to do calculations so I can create mobile cash register with tablet with complicated shipping procedures that my custom form will handle.

Thanks!!

Yes, qPDF Notes does support calculations! It was added in version 3.0 which you can read about on our knowledge base. Visit our website to learn more. Since I can't post links in this forum, I've posted them on my Google+ profile.

Gulzar Begum
  • Forum posts: 9

Oct 27, 2013, 5:15:33 AM via Website

You can use an application called AllyourTexts

Paul Dave

Sep 17, 2014, 12:46:05 AM via Website

I just want to share a PDF filling out tool I've discovered, just in case you need it.

PDFfiller.com allowed me to upload word and powerpoint document to be converted to PDF. Let's me fill out the form neatly and after I had the capability of either to save, print, fax , share or SendtoSign the forms.

I was able to get also the form i need through goo.gl/itweUs.

john fellows

Jun 15, 2015, 10:34:33 PM via Website

I tried qpdf, all I get are strange character's, doesn't work at all.

Luis Decker

Feb 22, 2018, 10:28:55 AM via Website

Hey. Check PDF Form Fillers out. This is an online application that runs on Android. You can also send the completed document to another device or to another user.

SergeFloyd

Jul 5, 2018, 1:02:05 PM via Website

I am using ZetPDF SDK number of time. It is too easy to develop PDF functionality using this SDK. You can download the SDK from here. (ZetPDF.com - PDF library for .NET, Windows Forms, ASP.NET, Mono, WPF, Silverlight)

Philip Rhoades P

Feb 22, 2019, 7:41:04 AM via Website

The free version of qPDF didn't let me edit fields . .

Phil.

— modified on Feb 22, 2019, 7:41:52 AM

axsl

Nov 5, 2019, 10:59:57 PM via Website

It's easy to fill in your PDF form with Acrobar Reader app from Gstore. I use it and it works perfectly .
Cheers !