Think i want to start making my own ROM.

• Replies:4
rich kaiser
  • Forum posts: 22

Oct 12, 2010, 2:57:09 PM via Website

Anyone want to help or point me in a good starting point. lol

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Oct 12, 2010, 4:49:50 PM via App

That's a big undertaking.. you might start by tweaking other ROMs first. I'm currently using xtrROM which seems to be the best of both worlds.

First off it's 2.1 with flash 10.1, most of HTC's sense is removed leaving only HTC's mail, clock, web browser, phone/contacts, and photo gallery.

I installed the 2.2 Android market.

I put back on the stock keyboard (I like the compact-qwerty keyboard best), but removed the HTC style lock screen and put on the standard Android lock screen.. which caused a problem with being able to turn off my alarm in the morning.. so I removed the HTC world clock suite and put the standard Android clock and now all is well.

I also found an app that lets you change the lock screen and even create your own plus you can cycle screens to have it change to a different lock screen each time you go to unlock your phone.

So you might want to "tweak" a bit first.. you will learn a lot about your phone that way.

— modified on Oct 12, 2010, 5:56:02 PM

rich kaiser

Oct 13, 2010, 2:43:13 PM via Website

well mainly that is what i want to do. like takes parts from one rom and put them in another one. just not sure where to start or how to get the source code to start with.

rich kaiser

Oct 14, 2010, 5:37:27 PM via Website

ok so i have the sdk for 2.2 now i need a version of 2.2 to start with how do i get one so i can mod it myself??????????????

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 15, 2010, 10:06:45 AM via Website

Um, take a look around XDA-Developers and look for a ROM with Android 2.2. Or you can just Google Android 2.2 ROM and you will likely get some good results.