Do android phones get viruses?

• Replies:31
Melanie Doran
  • Forum posts: 12

Oct 12, 2010, 6:32:57 PM via App

In the market under an antivirus appl.someone said that android phones can't get viruses and don't need antivirus
software...is this true? Or should all these apps be scanned before they are downloaded? Or scanned on a regular basis? Confused!

Melanie Doran

Oct 13, 2010, 1:55:05 AM via App

So do you recommend an antivirus for a phone like the Samsung Vibrant?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Oct 13, 2010, 2:32:28 AM via App

I don't use one personally.. but I have tried a couple out.. and recommend: "Lookout Mobile Security" they are the ones that found two apps a while back on the Google Market that were a little shady.. collected personal info etc.

— modified on Oct 13, 2010, 2:33:35 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 13, 2010, 11:43:17 AM via Website

justJay made a good suggestion and is right that it is possible, but at this point, not very likely. Your decision on whether to buy one should depend for the most part on how much private/financial/personal information you have on your phone, and don't want to have possibly end up in the wrong hands. You should also keep an eye out when installing applications. If an application requests access to too many areas of your phone, be suspicious. You can also come here and ask for a second opinion if you aren't sure about an app.

If you are concerned about your phone's security, it is better to be safe than to be sorry. In addition, you may want to put a password on your microSD card and put a unlock code on your phone as well to make it harder for thieves to take your phone or personal information. Especially if you are a person who forgets things a lot.

Parth Mehta
  • Forum posts: 6

Jan 28, 2011, 12:49:22 PM via Website

weather they get virus or not

you can avoid viruses by coming to your phone in such a simple way

do not insert anyone's memory card without scanning it.
do not plug-in your data card to any computer, the computer may have viruses.
also dont accept MMS from unknown numbers
dont install apps which are not turstworthy.

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Jan 28, 2011, 5:52:09 PM via Website

I agree with Doug on this one. The biggest danger with an Android phone (or any smarthphone for that matter) is that the wrong people getting your personal information by means of dubious apps or otherwise.

Just exercise caution and common sense just as you would using the Internet on your computer.

I think the chance of getting a virus from a computer to your phone is relatively low, although you could potentially infect other computers when plugging your SD card to different devices.

— modified on Jan 28, 2011, 5:52:26 PM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jan 28, 2011, 7:26:01 PM via Website

Yan M.

I think the chance of getting a virus from a computer to your phone is relatively low, although you could potentially infect other computers when plugging your SD card to different devices.

That is a very good point when considering the wellbeing of others computers.

Parth's statements are also a good idea. Don't connect your phone to a computer that may be infected and make sure any microSD card has been checked before inserting it as well. Luckily, I don't receive errant SMS/MMS, so I haven't had any problems with that yet.

— modified on Jan 28, 2011, 7:26:34 PM

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 9, 2011, 9:07:45 AM via Website

it's a good questions. you have better download the app from the offical website.

hudaos
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 30, 2011, 9:15:08 PM via App

i think my Android phone get virus becase my app market delet by hem self

TomRaza
  • Forum posts: 4

Mar 15, 2013, 10:14:10 AM via Website

Melanie Doran
In the market under an antivirus appl.someone said that android phones can't get viruses and don't need antivirus
software...is this true? Or should all these apps be scanned before they are downloaded? Or scanned on a regular basis? Confused!
Hello Melanie
well android phones can get viruses and you need a good antivirus to protect your phone that is why i m using Appriva cloud antivirus it automatically scans all apps being downloaded /installed / updated for Trojans, Viruses, Spyware and all threats

Daniel Jones
  • Forum posts: 105

Mar 18, 2013, 7:56:57 AM via Website

Yes Android is most vulnerable mobile platform, people faces lot of problems because of viruses.
Personally I have never used any antivirus for my Wildfire and never had any issue. I do not prefer to install app from places other than play store.
Over my grand I am using AVG, it scans all the apps at the time of installation. If you do download apps from third party stores then I will suggest you to have an antivirus app.

— modified on Mar 18, 2013, 7:57:53 AM

I am Daniel Jones, Working with Kiwitech as app developer. I enjoy exploring apps on various mobile platforms.

TomRaza

Mar 30, 2013, 2:54:13 AM via Website

Yes i will agree with Daniel if you are downloading stuff from third party stores you definitely need a antivirus

— modified on Mar 30, 2013, 2:54:50 AM

Dimon D
  • Forum posts: 7

Apr 1, 2013, 6:08:42 PM via Website

Yes,it's possible by installing "evil apps" :vader:

drift_shifter8
  • Forum posts: 8

Apr 2, 2013, 5:38:15 AM via Website

I have never seen anyone I know get a virus on their droids but, I believe it is still possible. Just be vigilant with what you install on your phone.

TomRaza

Apr 9, 2013, 9:52:34 AM via Website

drift_shifter8
I have never seen anyone I know get a virus on their droids but, I believe it is still possible. Just be vigilant with what you install on your phone.
Don't download unofficial versions of apps, and try to get apps only through the Google Play store. In other words, use common sense i know a lot about androids but i still use Appriva cloud antivirus its available on google play store

Partho Chatterjee
  • Forum posts: 8

Apr 30, 2013, 10:25:44 AM via Website

If you download material from official site then I thing.It will be less chance to affect your phone from virus.But if you download from any where then your mobile can effect from virus. And you need virus. It will depend your self how you use you mobile

dulala

Aug 2, 2013, 11:37:42 AM via Website

In my view ,it will ,but this kind of thing never happened in my android phones.i always thought that android phones are not that likely to get viruses...

Rajesh sharma
  • Forum posts: 6

Aug 2, 2013, 11:44:34 AM via Website

Antivirus is a free Android antivirus for your phone.This sleek, ad-supported app works as a real-time antivirus, monitoring your phone activity and alerting you to any suspicious behavior.

— modified on Aug 2, 2013, 11:47:21 AM

Gaylesheerin
  • Forum posts: 7

Aug 9, 2013, 7:55:27 AM via Website

my last android phone can not start up suddenly, and i have no idea what exactly the problem is.
I could only tell a lot of annoying pop-ups on the cellphone, so it should be virus

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 9, 2013, 4:06:08 PM via Website

Agreed, antivirus software for your smartphone, whether it's an app or on your computer, is an essential. Installing apps only from trusted sources is one of the best ways to protect yourself, but running regular scans on your device is also recommended. Factory resets are a worthwhile thing to do every now and again just to refresh your phone and get rid of any unwanted stuff and if you're worried something might have crept onto your memory card then you can Hard Reset too. Just make sure you scan and backup all your important data first! You can also download ad network scanner apps that will see what apps are producing all the ad popups.

— modified on Aug 9, 2013, 4:06:22 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

gummihaf

Aug 20, 2013, 5:49:14 AM via Website

Parth Mehta

also dont accept MMS from unknown numbers

How can accepting MMSes from unknown numbers bring viruses?

Quest Graves
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 25, 2013, 5:06:29 PM via Website

Daniel Jones
Yes Android is most vulnerable mobile platform, people faces lot of problems because of viruses.
Personally I have never used any antivirus for my Wildfire and never had any issue. I do not prefer to install app from places other than play store.
Over my grand I am using AVG, it scans all the apps at the time of installation. If you do download apps from third party stores then I will suggest you to have an antivirus app.

I just want to clarify -as an Android developer- I can assure you an Android phone cannot get a virus by definition. Each application runs in its own process. Without getting too technical think of each application as being its own user account. Very brilliant idea in design. Many of you are correct however about being a potential virus carrier and infect a pc. Also apps can be malware, which isnt a virus but can be dangerous like many have stated they might be able to read your contact information and text messeges and send that data to someplace. Rest assured if you don't root your phone and let any old app have superuser permissions your sensitive data such as passwords are safe. Just be carefull to read permissions, and avoid shady looking apps. Android is just as secure as other platforms but with an open market you are responsible for your safety. That's not a bad thing.
A final note: In my opinion security apps like lookout are a scam. But if you must use one AVG is very reputable on desktops and the app has some usefulness

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 48

Sep 10, 2013, 10:57:58 AM via Website

Nope, it doesn't usually get's introduced with one. But some malicious apps may introduce virus to your device.

Axel Lucas
  • Forum posts: 5

Nov 15, 2013, 7:39:25 AM via Website

Ya of coarse it is possible, try to prevent your mobile with standard mobile antiviruses

Veronica C.
  • Forum posts: 11

Dec 19, 2013, 11:42:16 AM via Website

I read this recent study in XDA-developers "Just How Safe is “Safe” in Android?" where they show very clearly that Android system is well protected against viruses. They analyse multiple layers of defence in Android systems, so as long as you download your apps from a trusted source, I believe there is a very tiny possibility of a potential malware.

You can Google the article since as a new user I'm not permitted to post links.
Thanks!

MrCooper
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 12, 2014, 4:15:43 AM via Website

I've heard a few instances of people getting viruses, althought I doubt its too common. Did anyone hear about the reports at the Olympics in Russia getting their phones hacked within minutes of landing in the airport? I'd say thats a pretty good sign right there

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Feb 12, 2014, 7:18:48 AM via Website

Well, Android phones do get viruses !! that is why there are a number of anti-viruses available. We can say Android is more secured from viruses because all the application in the Android environment runs in its own sand box means they are accessing only those things that you have allowed, this is why many people say "Risky Android application permissions" means you need to look onto the permission, you could find a several number of apps that seeks unnecessary permission. So, better to watch out the permission and there is no need for any antivirus except for the security purpose like lock down your device remotely, remotely tracking .... things like that etc. So, moral is look down the permission and get your self save from using the anti-virus application.

vicki

Sep 9, 2016, 5:08:23 AM via Website

You need to ignore these people that say you can get a virus on your Android. you cannot! it's impossible ....phones don't have a hard drive like computers do. u can get annoying ads if you download aps but No viruses. Professionals tell people all the time that a Android doesn't have a hard drive and they cannot get a virus. I guess if some company wanted to sell you a anti-virus they would lie and tell you the phone gets viruses.

vicki

Sep 9, 2016, 5:12:49 AM via Website

Androids don't have a hard drive they can't get a virus.the reason those Anti viruses are there is to TAKE your MONEY.

vicki

Sep 9, 2016, 5:19:44 AM via Website

Hacked doesnt mean virus. hacked means someone got into your account.