Attention Androidpit members... Need your input....

• Replies:22
ireneL
  • Forum posts: 114

Oct 30, 2010, 6:14:07 AM via Website

Here it is, right now if you click on any androidpit advertized apps, whether be a paid version or free, you then can either download the apps for free or pay for the apps using paypal... But there is no direct link to the Androidpit apps to make a donation to the apps developers... Face it we all want's great apps on our device... Right? And how are we going to achieved that? By making donation or buying their advertized apps... I just want a button that will give me an option to either buy the apps or make a donation... Don't you?

Heres where you came in...

I am trying to achieve several goals by posting this thread...

Number one - I am trying to give the Androidpit higher peeps an idea on how many people are actually interested in the Androidpit Apps Developers Donation link...

Number two- We can give the androidpit higher peeps an idea on how to better help there apps developers...

Number three- increase traffic to this site....

Number four- Create interest and the posibility of bringing in more sales for there apps developers...

So how bout it? Feel free to chime in your idea...

— modified on Oct 30, 2010, 7:06:16 AM

English is my second Language :-)

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Oct 30, 2010, 6:20:04 AM via Website

I like your idea Irene. I thought of a modified version too, what if you could donate to developers on the android pit site and App Center, and the donations would be used to fund test reports or advertising? Then if people wanted a test report but didn't have the money to fund it completely, lots of people could donate a little and fund it.

ireneL

Oct 30, 2010, 6:41:14 AM via Website

Heres justjay idea that i copied from my other thread...
Another idea would be to pay to have their app tested by AndroidPIT.. that way it would be a featured "test" app on this site; which in return could generate a lot of interest in the app.. which could generate income for the developer.

Unfortunately heres Douglas answear to justjay's idea...
Regarding test reports, they are a good idea if you are willing to pay the minimum ~146 Euros for a report in one language.

And Jeremiah just posted a great idea on how to go about achieving the same goal...

Its a start... Come on peeps need your input....

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Nov 1, 2010, 3:08:02 PM via Website

I will say that I am behind the suggestion in principle, as I don't know of any other community/site that has this ability. However, depending on how complicated it would be to achieve the goal, I don't know whether it is feasible for the AndroidPIT developer team, or worth the effort at this point in time. Hopefully I'll know more in a few days.

ireneL

Nov 2, 2010, 3:04:50 AM via Website

Hi Douglas, Thanks for the feedback, and your right, its not something that can be achieve overnight and the timing is not correct either, people are pinching pennys.lol And your also right on another account, there doesn't seem to be that many people interested in helping... A lot of people seems to be more on "What's in it for me?" ... Rather than "What can i do to help you?" that part sadden me, but its a hard time right now, so maybe it will get better...

Btw

i know that Android pit is trying to be unique, but how about tweaking the androidpits apps program or the web site to where it will automatically post the type of smartphone you use or computer to post in the forum? easyer said than done, i know, but surely feasible?

Douglas Carter

Nov 2, 2010, 3:34:08 PM via Website

According to our lead developer, the "donate to a developer" idea has been added to the list of improvements to the site that are being worked on. It may take a few months to see any progress, as it is placed at a low priority for now. It will be looked at however, there are just other issues that are taking priority.

As for the suggestion of having the app tell you what kind of phone you have and other info, it already does that. In the AndroidPIT app, go to settings, show system information, and there is your phone's information displayed.

The same function is not available for the AndroidPIT website on a PC because it uses a browser which is not programmed to collect system information on the PC or your smartphone. The AndroidPIT app is, and that is why it can show it. If you wanted the browser to do that, then you'd have to install some 3rd party program to determine your PC's tech specs. If I misunderstood the question about the browser, please explain it again.

Jeremiah

Nov 3, 2010, 5:36:57 AM via Website

I think she meant for it to show under each person's name/pic when they post which phone they have also. You can view their profile and tell which phone if they've added it, but it would be nice to have it on each of their posts. Another thing I'd like (just a convenience) would be that, when you view a thread in the app center, it would tell you which sub forum its in. When I look at new posts it shows which forum/subject the posts are in, but sometimes I click the thread (before noticing which forum its in) to read the posts, and which forum is not shown, so I have to go back to see which forum it was posted in.

— modified on Nov 3, 2010, 5:38:12 AM

ireneL

Nov 3, 2010, 5:39:09 AM via Website

Thanks for the feedback Douglas...

But, im actually hoping the lead developer can add a Signature on the Center Apps?

That will enable/execute a command that read "Sent from my DroidX using AndroidPit Apps Center " in the bottom of my post...

Of course, im using droidx as an example, cause its what i have, but the Signature command should be able to read the type of smartphone the member has...

What do you think of this idea?

Btw is justjay on vacay? he seems to be awol this days.. Just curious...

And Douglas, thank you for listening to me...

ireneL

Nov 3, 2010, 5:47:13 AM via Website

Hi jeremiah, i like the thread idea...

May i ask on what kind of apps your c urrently working on? and how long before you can bring back your other apps? Thanks...

@Douglas

How come theres no facebook/android icon with a link to facebook? Just curious...

— modified on Nov 3, 2010, 6:41:38 AM

Jeremiah

Nov 3, 2010, 6:58:08 AM via Website

irenelopour

May i ask on what kind of apps your c urrently working on? and how long before you can bring back your other apps? Thanks...

I'm working on a game called Otto's Toy Chest, is a fun game where you are given toys to put together. There are fake pieces to the toy and you have to find the "real" pieces that match the toy and drag and connect them to the toy. It's kind of kids game, but I believe adults will like it too. I hope to release it before thanksgiving. I don't wanna give to much info about it until it is released, I will surely give you a link then.

I have emailed the "Tetris Company" about asking them if my version (Tetragomy) infringes on their copyright, but have not gotten a response. There's plenty of tetris clones in the android market, but I also hear lots of them get taken down. I was willing to write my version and put it on the market and if it got taken down, then no big deal. But the new Google Market agreement states that if any app is taken down for copyright infringement, then you must pay back 100% of any sales, including the 30% google takes, so I wouldn't just be losing any profit, I would be owing google 30% of whatever I sold. So I can't afford to do that, so it may never get put back up. If you'd like a "evaluation" copy email me and I can send you the .apk.

Douglas Carter

Nov 3, 2010, 5:22:09 PM via Website

Sorry to hear about that Jeremiah, but I have to say I'm not surprised. With the companies I've dealt with so far, if there is ever a question regarding legal matters, I can never get the response I want. One reason is because they likely don't want to pay a lawyer to look at it or just think that if they ignore the question, you will go away.

In your case, I would imagine it to be especially true, due to the fact that if they say you can put your app back on the market, then they can likely never change their mind and tell you to remove it later.

On the other hand, if they say no, then they open themselves up to a possible legal confrontation. With you telling them that you are waiting on their response, they have all the control and are holding the cards. They could just never reply and it would never be an issue, since you never know what you can do. They have no incentive to reply, in fact, I would say that in your particular case, the incentive is to NOT reply, avoiding the issue entirely.

Lame, I know, because now you can't safely make any money off of your work. Unfortunately, that is the risk you take when creating something somewhat similar to another copyrighted product :V

------------------------------------------------

As for the phone info in every post, that is already implemented into the website (at least to an extent). If a user has filled out their phone information into the user account info, then it is visible in any post of theirs by simply clicking on the "Phone" tab under the person's name on the left hand side. As for the app, that is another improvement in a long list of improvements, which comes after the list of bugs that have to be taken care of.

------------------------------------------------

As for justJay, I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything like that, but I haven't seen him post in a long time either. We do have a Facebook page for AndroidPIT. It is called AndroidPIT.com and you can like blog posts or test reports as well (i think).

— modified on Nov 3, 2010, 6:03:51 PM

ireneL

Nov 5, 2010, 4:59:53 AM via Website

[/quote]
I'm working on a game called Otto's Toy Chest, is a fun game where you are given toys to put together. There are fake pieces to the toy and you have to find the "real" pieces that match the toy and drag and connect them to the toy. It's kind of kids game, but I believe adults will like it too. I hope to release it before thanksgiving. I don't wanna give to much info about it until it is released, I will surely give you a link then.

I have emailed the "Tetris Company" about asking them if my version (Tetragomy) infringes on their copyright, but have not gotten a response. There's plenty of tetris clones in the android market, but I also hear lots of them get taken down. I was willing to write my version and put it on the market and if it got taken down, then no big deal. But the new Google Market agreement states that if any app is taken down for copyright infringement, then you must pay back 100% of any sales, including the 30% google takes, so I wouldn't just be losing any profit, I would be owing google 30% of whatever I sold. So I can't afford to do that, so it may never get put back up. If you'd like a "evaluation" copy email me and I can send you the .apk.[/quote]

You got my nephew and niece excited about the otto's toy chest, will sure to keep an eye out for it... Sorry to hear about your tetragomy game, i guess your gonna have to either dedicate plenty of time to hopefully find a loop hole on the infringe thinggy or re- work the game itself... either way it sucks....

I do have a question for you, I just got thru looking at the android market link on how to get started launching your apps to the market, and right of the bat it say's its gonna cost me $25 bucks to register, is that yearly? monthly? or a one time thing? I was affraid to go any further. since my engen calcu apps is no where ready to be launch... My question is how do you make money selling android apps for $0.99? cause im noticing that folks gripe when the apps is higher than $0.99 cents... Sorry to dump this question on you but i don't know who else to ask...:(

@ Douglas
As usual, thanks for the info...:blink:

Jeremiah

Nov 5, 2010, 6:14:02 AM via Website

irenelopour

I do have a question for you, I just got thru looking at the android market link on how to get started launching your apps to the market, and right of the bat it say's its gonna cost me $25 bucks to register, is that yearly? monthly? or a one time thing? I was affraid to go any further. since my engen calcu apps is no where ready to be launch... My question is how do you make money selling android apps for $0.99? cause im noticing that folks gripe when the apps is higher than $0.99 cents... Sorry to dump this question on you but i don't know who else to ask...:(

That's weird, I don't remember it costing me anything. Maybe they've changed it? Are you looking at the official android developer site?

http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/publishing.html

The google market takes 30% of sales, but I don't remember if it charge me to register. If it did, it was a one time fee only, I think.

I can't quit my day job yet, but you can make money even at $0.99. Lots of developers will release a free version or an ad version to get people to try their app. In my experience people are 100 times more likely to download something free than something that costs even $1. With my apps; I make a paid and an ads version. The ads version has about 110k downloads where the paid version only about 800 so far. You have to be careful where you place your ads though, as people will get mad if they are in the way or disrupt the app. Theres so many apps added daily that it's easy for your app to get lost in the deluge. I think advertising or getting the word out is very important, an ad's or free version will get you lots of people trying the app at least. You can make decent money with the ads version too, the ad company I use is called AdMob, http://www.admob.com

— modified on Nov 5, 2010, 6:16:00 AM

ireneL

Nov 6, 2010, 8:08:00 AM via Website

Yep, got all my info from the same site... http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/publishing.html on the right side theres the android market/bag icon and when i click it it took me to the android market registration site...
Thank you for a great advice, i really appreciate it...:blink:

Jeremiah

Nov 8, 2010, 4:52:37 AM via Website

justJay
Sorry for my lack of posts lately.. friend was is ICU for a while then few days recovering in hospital.. so I was spending lots of free time there.

Thanks for thinking of me :)

Sorry to hear about your friend, will say a prayer for them.

ireneL

Nov 8, 2010, 6:40:07 AM via Website

justJay
Sorry for my lack of posts lately.. friend was is ICU for a while then few days recovering in hospital.. so I was spending lots of free time there.

Thanks for thinking of me :)

Sorry to hear about your friend, will be praying for a full recovery...

Was looking for ya cause i was gonna ask you where you got the android background theme that you have on your phone, then i notice that you hadn't post in a while so i ask Douglas if he know why you'de gone awol....

Right now if i can get over the nervous breakdown of rooting my dx, then decide on either rubix or tranquility for a rom, atleast i got the background theme jut down (yours) then i got to put together the over all theme that i want = root. I did say its a huge hump, didn't i?:(

btw welcome back...-_-

— modified on Nov 8, 2010, 6:44:27 AM

Douglas Carter

Nov 8, 2010, 2:20:05 PM via Website

I'm glad to hear your friend is recovering and I wish him/her a quick recovery as well. In my opinion, real-life trumps online communities, so your apology was not necessary.

Jeremiah

Dec 6, 2010, 8:15:44 PM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
irenelopour

I have released Otto's Toy Chest to the Market, please take a look and tell me what you think. https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/forum/thread/411666/My-new-app-Otto-s-Toy-Chest-Lite

ireneL

Dec 6, 2010, 11:20:40 PM via Website

Hi jeremiah, your new profile picture is friendl'yer, more approachable and less intimidating to look at. I agree with Douglas, i like it...

just got both the free and pd version, played a couple of games and i can already tell you that this is gonna be a hit with the nephews and niece, already got the Feint account to interact with the other player, will play with it some more when i get home this evening..

One thing i notice tho that if your a right handed pick the left handed button or you won't be able to see where your pieces are going.lol

Jeremiah

Dec 7, 2010, 12:48:06 AM via App

Thanks, the right handed setting will move the pieces to the left so they are not right under your finger. The left handed moves them to the right of your finger.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 2

May 26, 2011, 12:10:47 AM via Website

nice to see it

best android apps