So you want to customize your Android Device

• Replies:9
justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Nov 14, 2010, 11:12:40 PM via Website

I thought I would start a tread for those of us that enjoy customizing their handsets and tablet devices.

Over the last few months I have spent an incredible amount of time TWEAKING everything I could about my phone,
and thought I might share with others some tips and tricks about how to do the same.

Please post your questions and or custom tips as well.. that way we can all learn from one other.

The only request I have is that you post whether or not ROOT access is required for your tip!

Below is and example of my tweaked HTC Droid Eris:

— modified on Nov 16, 2010, 9:36:36 PM

justJay

Nov 14, 2010, 11:14:31 PM via Website

Okay... now for the HOW-TO post...

I have rooted my phone [BUT MOST TWEAKS DON'T REQUIRE ROOTING YOUR PHONE].

The following DO NOT require a rooted device:

Home Replacement app used: LauncherPro

Market Download

I choose LauncherPro for the following reasons:

• Super-smooth scrolling
• Animated screen previews (like Exposé or HTC Sense)
• Up to 7 home screens
• App drawer (2D and 3D!) with a fly-in effect and smooth scrolling
• Scrollable shortcut dock

Read Test Report

On a side note: Back in May when I 1st discovered AndroidPIT for myself via the Google Android Market, I complained about all the tested reports about Home Replacement apps.. Basicly because I really liked how well the Sense UI worked from HTC on my Droid Eris device, and at that time none of the Home Replacement app lived up to HTC's until I discovered LauncherPro for myself.

I must say, "NICE"! Even the Test write up doesn't do it justice.

One of my favorite features is that you can hide un-needed apps from even showing up in the app drawer
(like widget apps that you would never click on anyway or bloatware apps that you would never use like Amazon MP3 etc).

Then next I grabbed Beautiful Widgets for the Clock/Weather widget!

More to follow.......

— modified on Nov 14, 2010, 11:59:40 PM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Nov 15, 2010, 4:18:25 PM via Website

I may be taking your route once I decide on a new phone, especially if the pre-loaded ROM happens to be a large departure from stock Android. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

justJay

Nov 15, 2010, 8:45:18 PM via App

Okay... back to talk about Beautiful Widgets!

Market link

The main reason I choose Beautiful Widgets was because this app has it all in regards to customizing.

First off it comes with many different widgets: Large HTC style double row size or single row size.. plus if you use a different clock; you can use the weather only widgets.

You can also download different skins for both the clock and the weather widgets as well as being able to changes fonts/text color.

Even gives the option to add temp icon in the upper status bar of your Android device.

So if your phone is of the vanilla variety.. this might be the cherry on top you've been looking for!

More to follow....... Next up I'll talk about "Desktop Visualizer"

— modified on Nov 17, 2010, 8:29:29 PM

justJay

Nov 16, 2010, 8:28:57 PM via Website

Okay.. as promised, lets talk about "Desktop Visualizer"

Market Link

You might of noticed those custom icons on the screen shoot of my opening post, I was able to use this program with custom icons others had made with photo shop, to achieve what you see in the screenshot.

This is one of how-to's I found:
http://androidforums.com/android-themes/199936-android-phone-7-theme.html

A little tip:
I got most of my 3x1 and 1x2 images right from the above mentioned and other website forums.

— modified on Nov 16, 2010, 8:50:50 PM

justJay

Nov 17, 2010, 8:26:08 PM via App

So far there hasn't been much feedback about this customizing thread, which kind of surprises me with all the "when is my phone getting this or that update" post.

For many of us that will never get another update.. this is a great way to breath new life (and fun into your current Android device).

I'm hopeful that many will share as I have their custom tweaks and fun setup tips.

Next up for discussion will be...
...you tell me.. I'm looking forward to hearing your tips!

Douglas Carter

Nov 17, 2010, 11:51:44 PM via Website

I'm waiting for the Samsung Nexus S to release (pretty much decided), then I'm going to mod it up pretty well. There's no point in modding my G1 when I will be putting it to rest soon. I will use your tips here, just not yet.

Douglas Carter

Nov 18, 2010, 11:25:11 AM via Website

Unfortunately, no-one knows yet, or at least no one has reported it to any Android blog/site. I am totally waiting in anticipation for it. The problems I had with the Galaxy S were the the fragility, lack of a camera flash, and a non-stock version of Android. That appears to be taken care of with the Nexus S. It looks like an absolute winner. I'll post up once I know more about when it'll be available.