samsung acclaim

• Replies:1
Dan H.
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 2, 2010, 1:48:04 AM via Website

ah, my first post thats not an introduction. I didn't see any thread about the acclaim, on us cellular network just fyi, so I thought that I would take the liberity of giving my two cents on my expierence with the phone. I'll start off with the fact that this would be my first smart phone that I have owned, I have had my hands on my friends iphone before and I like my Android better.

it fits perfectly in my big hands, and it doesn't feel like im going to break it just by using it like some of my previous phones felt. out of the box there was a screen protector already on it, but i had to take that off. on the face of the phone there is four "buttons" and the track ball like thingy. I say "buttons" with the reason that these buttons do not depress in to the phone.also, i said track ball thingy beacuse its not a ball but rather a small touch sensor that acts like a track ball. for those of you who have not had your hands on one before, the buttons are menu, home, back, search. now, back to why i took the out of the box screne protector off is beacuse it kept actvating the search button to the point that i litterally couldn't do anything. personally, I am always super careful with my phone so not having a screen protector dosen't bother me. the search button on the face of the phone I feel is a little pointless. it can search items in your phone or do a google search that will bring up the browser. I just about never use it, my browser's home page is google, and if i wanted to search something on the internet i open my browser anyways. the responsitivity of the touch screen is amazing! with just a light flick i can move between desktops, scroll through a web page, you name it! the keyboard is pretty nice too, my only problem is it is one flat surface and my fat thumbs. so, sometimes i hit two keys at once, but i have gotten better about that.

the "speed" of the phone i feel is good, i don't know what the prosessor speed is and that being said...one thing i don't like is the battery icon. you think it being a smart phone it could tell you the actual percentage of the battery left with out having the need for another app. it seems to be a bit inaccurate, or at least according to the smart battery monitor app i have. the one, and probably only, thing that really makes me sad is that lack of internal memory. according to the linda file manager, total internal storage is about 216MB. half of that memory is already used, and only a quarter of that is apps that i put on there my self. also, when it comes to ram, that seems like its in short supply. after start up, according to advance task killer, best i have is about 70MB. but as the day goes on, its down to about 40MB, and i have AVG, advance task killer, and messaging on the ignore list.

Overall, the phone is fan freking tastick! if there is somewhere that has more detail on the specs of the phone, please direct me there. OH, I recently went in to the US Cellular store to pay my bill, and I asked them about the froyo update. It seems like that will be coming around the end of the year, and accessible through the US Cellular web site. The employees sounded like they weren't 100% sure about that, but they were sure that the update will be available.

I really would like to see others feelings about this phone too. <3 my android ^.^

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 2, 2010, 2:57:38 PM via Website

Here are some specs for the handset: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-Acclaim_id4728

To know the exact percentage of your battery life, you can go into settings, about phone, status and there is your battery level shown. However, that does take a long time to get there, so your point is still valid.

App storage sapce is a problem on almost every Android phone, due to the fact that the phones almost always rely on a microSD card for extra storage space. Saving and running apps from the SD card is only availabe on Android 2.2 and up, which you may already know. However, the choice on whether the app can be run on the SD card, or only inside the phone is left completely up to developers. To prevent privacy, many app developers only allow apps to be installed on the internal storage. Lame, I know.

Regarding the Android 2.2 update, I haven't heard anything firm regarding when it is supposed to come out, but browsing some Android forums, there is plenty of talk that US Cellular is working on the update, and that it should be out soon. I would take the employee's statement with a big grain of salt, as the dates for updates often fluctuate.