My new app, Otto's Toy Chest Lite

• Replies:22
Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Dec 6, 2010, 8:11:31 PM via Website

I am pleased to show you my new app Otto's Toy Chest Lite:

Help fix Otto's broken toys. In Otto's Toy Chest you are given toys to put together, but watch out for the fake pieces. Otto's Toy Chest is a fun game for all ages. More than 40 toys, 20 levels, global leaderboards and Open Feint integration.

You Tube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zA5Ajev8fo

https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/xdebugx.OTCL/Otto-s-Toy-Chest-Lite

Please give it a try and let me know what you think. All feedback is much appreciated.

— modified on Dec 6, 2010, 8:29:17 PM by moderator

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 6, 2010, 8:29:06 PM via Website

I threw in a QR-Code picture into your post. I hope you don't mind.

It looks very interesting for children. I'm not sure it's something I would play a lot, but we'll see. I'm downloading it now and I'll give it a go. By the way, I like your new profile pic.

Douglas Carter

Dec 7, 2010, 3:36:58 PM via Website

Okay, the game was unresponsive/wouldn't start the first time I tried. The second time, I got it working, but everything is pretty slow. The third time, everything has a reasonable responsiveness. I will chalk that up to my phone however, as the G1 is a dinosaur. It is challenging however, as some of the pieces are very hard for me to differentiate. The game says Feint needs an internet connection to work properly, but then it goes on and loads anyways without any internet? Is the internet only necessary for the leaderboard, or what?

— modified on Dec 7, 2010, 3:38:40 PM

Jeremiah

Dec 7, 2010, 7:47:29 PM via App

I used Open Feint for the high scores and acheivements, but it is not neccessary to play the game.

I suspect the reason it crashed at first could do with it running out of memory. With all the graphics and sound in the game, it is pushing the 16mb limit.

Were the pieces hard to see, or were you just not sure which ones were fake? The fake pieces were put in to make the game more challenging.

Douglas Carter

Dec 7, 2010, 9:00:19 PM via Website

I think they are just hard to differentiate, which is what you want, from what I understand. A larger resolution screen would help obviously, as I would have more pixels to look at.

ireneL
  • Forum posts: 114

Dec 9, 2010, 7:04:59 AM via Website

Hi there jeremiah,

The blur part of my phone automatically detect that im using the right hand, there for automatically select right hand button for me... and the pcs moves on the right side and my hands keep getting in the way.lol

The game keeps my reflex and my mind focus on the task at hand, i like that.. Other than my hand keeps getting in the way with the pieces im trying to move, no problem with the game, no lagging, very responsive with dx, graphic's is collorful, sound effect is good also.. Its a unique game... Well done...*G*

English is my second Language :-)

Jeremiah

Dec 10, 2010, 6:07:38 AM via Website

Thanks for the compliments Irene :)

What do you mean when you say that the "blur part of my phone automatically detect that im using the right hand"; I'm not sure what your saying? When you first create a profile, after you enter your name it will ask you if you are left or right handed. There's two options on this screen, (left handed is selected by default), touch the words "Right handed" and they will be highlighted/selected, then touch "Done". I should probably update the app to allow you to go back into your profile and change which "handedness" you want to use.

Try making a new profile, and make sure "Right Handed" is selected and please let me know if it is working. With the next update I'll make it able to change the "handedness" for any profile, so you can then set your orginal profile to the right hand.

ireneL

Dec 10, 2010, 4:35:13 PM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
Thanks for the compliments Irene :)

What do you mean when you say that the "blur part of my phone automatically detect that im using the right hand"; I'm not sure what your saying? When you first create a profile, after you enter your name it will ask you if you are left or right handed. There's two options on this screen, (left handed is selected by default), touch the words "Right handed" and they will be highlighted/selected, then touch "Done". I should probably update the app to allow you to go back into your profile and change which "handedness" you want to use.

Try making a new profile, and make sure "Right Handed" is selected and please let me know if it is working. With the next update I'll make it able to change the "handedness" for any profile, so you can then set your orginal profile to the right hand.

Hi jeremiah,

My dx is a combination of android and motoblur.

One of the selling point of motorola blur is the blur's ability to sense what your finger is about to do. Its called skin sensor...:)
Its got its perks... Atleast thats what i keep telling myself.lol

Currently have 2 profile.. one for left handed and one for right handed, both played with the pcs moving on the right side...8o Its not the game, its my phone.. :-)
And the fact that my dx been in the washer did not help iether...

Jeremiah

Dec 12, 2010, 5:00:43 AM via Website

I wonder how it could be doing this? Even if it does have some type of skin sensor, I don't see how it could change an apps use of touch x,y events. I mean I could see it changing system and oem apps, but how does it even know what my app is trying to do? Does anyone else with moto-blur have the same effect?

— modified on Dec 12, 2010, 5:02:48 AM

ireneL

Dec 12, 2010, 5:45:44 AM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
I wonder how it could be doing this? Even if it does have some type of skin sensor, I don't see how it could change an apps use of touch x,y events. I mean I could see it changing system and oem apps, but how does it even know what my app is trying to do? Does anyone else with moto-blur have the same effect?

Wish i could give you an answear on that question, but that one got me stump..

Just got my dx replacement this afternoon and this one is so much better than the original one i had..

The game is great, I can see,lol pick the right handed button and the pieces moves to the left of my finger tips.. I luv how the game challenge my reflex and my ability to stay focus... thank you..

Douglas Carter

Dec 13, 2010, 2:54:05 PM via Website

I played it again today and got a lot farther, past the bird and the animal after it as well. The time limits make the game challenging. A suggestion might be to have some sort of game save feature and the ability to pause the game in the middle of a game.

— modified on Dec 13, 2010, 2:54:17 PM

Jeremiah

Dec 14, 2010, 5:58:12 AM via Website

Thanks for the suggestions Douglas. It should pause if you press the home button, then open the app again it should pick up where you left off. That's if you phone hasn't needed the memory and close the app completely. If you press the back button while playing, it will give you a screen saying that the game will end if you press back again, or you can go back to playing. Once on the main menu if you press back the game exits completely and is not even running in the background. But if you want to pause it just press home while you are playing.

Douglas Carter

Dec 14, 2010, 2:03:12 PM via Website

My G1 may be closing the app once I hit the homescreen, but I'm not sure. So pressing the back button will effectively continue to run the game but keep the game on pause until I resume it?

Jeremiah

Dec 15, 2010, 6:21:53 AM via Website

Yes, if you just want to pause it temporarily, press back, then press the "Go back to Game" button when your ready to play again. When you press home, the game goes to the background and is paused, but could be killed by android. There is a way to save the state, even if android kills a background app, but I have not implemented this yet.

cubewalker
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 15, 2010, 7:47:18 AM via Website

Very nice app for children. The video show your app is attractive and well-designed.

I think you are a professional developer team:)

Jeremiah

Dec 16, 2010, 12:54:44 PM via Website

cubewalker
Very nice app for children. The video show your app is attractive and well-designed.

I think you are a professional developer team:)

Thanks!

Douglas Carter

Jan 10, 2011, 5:02:35 PM via Website

The translation of the directs has some errors in verb tenses, and some word choices are not the best. For instance, the word you use in place of Play is geschehen, or something like that, but "weiter" would fit better in this circumstance. I'm trying to convince my GF to give some written clarification of the changes which should be made.

— modified on Jan 10, 2011, 5:03:12 PM

Jeremiah

Jan 11, 2011, 6:52:59 AM via Website

Douglas Carter
The translation of the directs has some errors in verb tenses, and some word choices are not the best. For instance, the word you use in place of Play is geschehen, or something like that, but "weiter" would fit better in this circumstance. I'm trying to convince my GF to give some written clarification of the changes which should be made.

Thanks Douglas, my partner who does the graphics got one of his friends to translate it for us. No need to bother your GF though, I have a friend in Germany who teaches english to highschoolers who can revise it for me. BTW, how did it play on your nexus S? With the bigger screen were you able to differentiate the pieces of the toys better?

Douglas Carter

Jan 11, 2011, 2:47:36 PM via Website

It's easier to play with a bigger screen with more resolution, but I can't get past the spider still :grin:. That is definitely a hard one.

— modified on Jan 11, 2011, 2:48:09 PM