haptiClock - Vibrates the time to you after tap/bump

• Replies:9
Phil Young
  • Forum posts: 5

Jan 7, 2011, 12:56:48 AM via Website

So it's a simple concept: you don't want to be rude and pull your phone out just to check the time when at a movie, at dinner, in a meeting... so just rest your hand on your phone in your pocket or purse, give it a tap or bump and a series of vibrating pulses (haptic feedback) will convey to you what time it is!

Please give me feedback here on AndroiPIT, I admit to registering expressly to announce this app but I'm gonna follow up with any comments or feedback posted here!

QR Code

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jan 7, 2011, 3:42:56 PM via Website

Okay, everything is clear after playing around more and reading the directions again. I'm not sure if I need something like this however, as I am very seldom in meetings where it would be inappropriate to look at my phone.

— modified on Jan 7, 2011, 3:47:07 PM

Phil Young

Jan 7, 2011, 7:11:27 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
I gotta tell you, the explanation is pretty complicated to read and understand the first time through. I'm giving it a try now.

Yeah really struggled with best way to explain it, almost just ditched the "exact time" and went with a "to the nearest 10/15 minute" version and did exact as a later version.

Thanks for giving it a go though.

There was a problem with Galaxy S but new version should be OK on that

Douglas Carter
Okay, everything is clear after playing around more and reading the directions again. I'm not sure if I need something like this however, as I am very seldom in meetings where it would be inappropriate to look at my phone.

Ya, I use it skiing and have used it when just out with friends at the bar or whatever and need to catch a bus... I've just always found that once the phone is out... I get distracted from the people around me looking @ other things, movies, etc. The free version is good for approximate time (after three days).

Just remember to turn the thing off to keep it from sucking down your battery, widget will be coming!

— modified on Jan 7, 2011, 7:15:41 PM

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Jan 8, 2011, 1:08:48 AM via Website

seems like it would be easier and faster to just take a quick glance at your phone or wear an old-fashioned watch :)

Phil Young

Jan 8, 2011, 1:50:26 AM via Website

A watch? is that like a time-piece or something? ;)

I thought of it at a concert, felt conspicuous checking the time like it was rude to the performers, also at movies.

My post below is kinda terrible grammar wise, and makes what I'm trying to say unclear:

"@ other things, movies, etc." ===> "@ other things. It's also useful at movies, etc."
(I'm not watching movies on my phone while hanging out with friends)

"The free version is good for approximate time (after three days)." ===> "The free version is fully functional for three days, after which the app will only give you the time approximately (to nearest 10 or 15 minutes)"

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jan 8, 2011, 6:39:39 AM via Website

There was a post in the forums a few days ago, someone was asking for a way to set vibrates "Sytes", so that if a certain person called or sent you an text, it would vibrate differently for them. Like 3 quick vibrates for your friends, or 2 vibrates for your spouse. Could you add this type of functionality to your app?

Phil Young

Jan 10, 2011, 1:48:31 AM via Website

"There was a post in the forums a few days ago, someone was asking for a way to set vibrates "Sytes", ... Could you add this type of functionality to your app?"

I've sort of thought about something similar to this, but it would be a separate app. I think that would be out of the realm of haptiClock

— modified on Jan 10, 2011, 2:20:12 AM

Michael B
  • Forum posts: 24

Jan 11, 2011, 2:19:01 AM via App

I agree, but that is an app i'd like to have. I also want a vibrate pattern to distinguish text from reminder from other notifications. I, personally, don't use personalized rings, but I know a lot of people do.

3 days seems awfully short to me. is there a way to set it up to only run, say, 12 times?

— modified on Jan 11, 2011, 2:24:36 AM

Phil Young

Jan 11, 2011, 2:52:05 AM via Website

"3 days seems awfully short to me. is there a way to set it up to only run, say, 12 times? "

Just re-install it, it will start your 3 day trial over. I thought about making it more robust with respect to licensing (sending device ID to a server, etc.), but this way it's more like donation-ware. At this point, this is the only forum where this has come up so you are privy to some inside info as of right now.

Hopefully it is useful enough that people get tired of re-installing and just pay the $2. I'm not opposed to re-installs though because it will up the download count, kind of a trade-off there. Besides you can still get the time within 10 minutes even after 3 days.

I agree the vibrate feature of phones is under-utilized.