Any hope for upgrading cheapy Android Tablets?

• Replies:45
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Dec 12, 2011 2:37:35 AM

Sandra Green
thank you!you know this works ?i cannot risk destroying the dumb thing,lol

peace

Yes it works for sure, so long as you have a wm8650 tablet 7" or 10" I run a computer repair company and have done dozens of these tablets

Dec 26, 2011 11:10:27 PM

Hi

please help.

I wanna upgrade my 10 inch tablet pc (Epad). Model ZT180, Firmware:Android 2.1 Update1-20101030, Kernal Version:2.6.32.9 USBANDROID#1608, Build Number:ZT180-ENG2.1 Update 20101030.
I cannot access to internet and its keep showing error message- Sorry "The Process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again", "Force close" icon to close the message window.
Do I need to upgrade the firmware or there is a solution to this problem.
Any advise/help will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Jan 7, 2012 11:06:40 AM

Dear David,
This changer.bat doesnt create a folder by the name of script on my SD card and it seems that mine wouldnt execute without a script folder, i even failed to boot.

Any help?

Regards
arehman2003@gmail.com

David Leo
YES!! I have the upgrade if your tablet is a WM8650

I have done many of these tablets and. I have enlosed my instructions below
and the link to the files from my website.

Follow these directions exactly:

Make sure your tablet is off.
Remove the SD Card.
Download the V9 Final ROM file to your PC from my site. Make sure you know
where to find it after it downloads:

I have uploaded the rom to my own website and it should
download very quick for you. Here is the link to my site
http://creativeconceptcomputers.com//downloads/public/WM8650.7z
save it to
your desktop and get winrar to unpack the zip file at
http://rarlab.com/rar/wrar41b4.exe
Insert the SD Card into the media reader on your desktop PC.
The SD Card will now show up as a drive letter on your PC's File Manager,
just like C:\, except with a different letter assigned.

Every computer will be different. Let's just say that on your PC it is G:\.
Right click the drive letter of the SD Card (G:\). A pop-up menu appears.
Select "format" and format the card to Fat32.
Now, using a program like winzip or winrar, extract the ROM file that you
downloaded to your PC earlier to a new folder on your desktop
After it has extracted, it will have these folders:
firmwareinstall
Changer_files
and these 3 files on it:
changer.bat
wmt_scriptcmd
Universal_Uberoid_WM8650_v9.1.2.txt

Using your PC mouse, double click the "changer.bat" file.
A pop up screen appears.
Type in RT3070 and hit "enter" (this enables WiFi support)

Select the option number that corresponds to your tablet and press enter.
( I found option 27 to work on most wundermedia wm8650 ) if that dont work
run it again and choose option 2 (if that dont work,keep trying differnt
options until you get the right one) if that one hangs on the option
you selected, you will just have to keep running the changer and selecting a
different option number until you get it right. Make sure that after it does
boot, to select wmtlauncher as the default and that the touchsreen does in
fact work.

(Please, if you are trying multiple options, just remember to try options
only for the size tablet you have.)
For instance, if you have a 7 inch tablet, try only options
1,2,7,8,9,11,12,13,16,20,21,23,25,26,27,28,29,30,31, and 32.

After you select your option number and hit enter, the changer.bat will ask
you if you want to install the ROM on your SD Card hit y (yes) and if you
want your SD Card formatted. Answer "NO" since you already formatted it
earlier, let the program finish running completly and it will tell you when
its done.
Now safely remove the SD Card from the PC media reader.

Insert the SD Card back into your tablet and turn it on.

it will show a progress bar on the botton, when it's done it will tell you
to remove the sd card , (don't remove card until it says to) when you do
the tablet will reboot
Select the wmtlauncher when it comes to options screen and set as the
default and thats all there is to it.

This should only take a few minutes to boot the first time. Make sure that
after the tablet is up and running , that you reformat the sd card in a
computer again before you put it back in your tablet for storage.

Main features:
* Live Wallpaper Support! ("butterfly" live wallpaper included!)
* HoneyComb styled launcher, framework and icons
* Extreme WM8650 compatibility (60 models +!)
* Customizable ROM, make it even more LITE for example (see CHANGER 'x' for
more info)
* 100% Rooted
* Audio Boosted
* Memory cleaning boosted
* Memory read/write boosted
* Lite version, stripped away many apps
* Tries to support as many languages as possible
* Real Google Market (v3.1.3)
* Real working YouTube

Jan 23, 2012 4:34:03 PM

hey can i suggest somethin?...first u should root it using z4root and them download root toolbox pro.apk and make a nandroid backup of ur whole tablet on sd card now put it on pc >> http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/136176-how-extract-files-nandroid-backup-windows.html ..using the tool inside the link explained now u can see the kernel and it modules just get the kernel and compile a new custom rom for that u should be an advance user ..or contact some tablet developer for information regarding the compilation and things needed to do it!

Feb 21, 2012 3:41:00 AM

What about 8 inch tablets? I tried option 27 anyway and it works except 1 inch of the screen (lol). We want to make our cheap tablet work for our daughter. (It didn't make sense for us to buy an expensive one for a kid)

Feb 21, 2012 1:25:42 PM

Josie Joiner
What about 8 inch tablets? I tried option 27 anyway and it works except 1 inch of the screen (lol). We want to make our cheap tablet work for our daughter. (It didn't make sense for us to buy an expensive one for a kid)

Whats the exact model name of your device?

Mar 21, 2012 4:28:19 AM

I have just been given one of these nice little tablets (Giani Mipal PC-710), for free, so not really bothered that its an entry level device, will mainly be using it for the kindle app, but would like to upgrade the OS to 2.1 if possible, the info on the device says:

processor Via 8505
RAM 128mb
Model no. generic
firmware 1.6
kernel 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
build no. WMT2.710Cu

Can i use any Rom that matches the kernal and build no.?
also would like a rom with the android market working as can't get that working yet

Apr 6, 2012 7:06:56 PM

hi friend , as you said i did all but i am not able to use touch pad when "wmtlauncher as default", as i mention i have china tablet which come with simcard slot, 3g inbuilt, wifi and front cam 7"... please help me because i didnt use this more then 1 day and its useless as what you say in blog for upgrade.. and also i want to upgrade 4.0 if possible.please friend reply me

May 23, 2012 7:41:19 PM

I have 2 Oscar Pad Dark A10-mid capacitive multyi touch tablets both with the exact same specs, only 1 has android 4.0.3 and the other has android 2.3.4. I ordered them a week apart before march 23 or whenever the new ICS was to become standard They said they were upgradable to 4.0, but again one already came with Ics installed. I have tried looking for a way to upgrade the one with android 2.3.4, Does anyone know and how to upgrade this tablet, If so Please Help!!!! The one with Ice cream sandwich works so much better and i already gave that to my daughter :(

May 25, 2012 2:29:53 PM

Pam Smith
I have 2 Oscar Pad Dark A10-mid capacitive multyi touch tablets both with the exact same specs, only 1 has android 4.0.3 and the other has android 2.3.4. I ordered them a week apart before march 23 or whenever the new ICS was to become standard They said they were upgradable to 4.0, but again one already came with Ics installed. I have tried looking for a way to upgrade the one with android 2.3.4, Does anyone know and how to upgrade this tablet, If so Please Help!!!! The one with Ice cream sandwich works so much better and i already gave that to my daughter :(

If you have 2 of the same tablet and one is running ICS, you should be able to contact the manufacturer per email to see how you can upgrade the other one. After all, there's no way they can tell you its not possible if the other is running it.

Have you went into settings and searched for an update manually on the tablet?

May 25, 2012 10:18:48 PM

I ordered them from amazon they came from China, and when I emailed them my reply came back in chineese and the users manual is prety shotty written, however thease 2 tablets are the 3rd and 4th I purchased they came with real android market 512mgb ram and 1.2ghz processor better and paster then the wm8650 and the Boss tablets i first baught. And although the one I kept is only running 2.3.4 it is still prety decent it's just that I used the one with ICS FOR ABOUT A WEEK AND THAT THING SEAMED LIKE IT RAN BETTER OR MAYBE I just like ICS more. When I go into the settings on the one with 2.3 it doesn't have anywhere for me to update it manually. I guess I just thought since i was able to put froyo on that wonder media tablet i could upgrade this myself.

— modified on May 25, 2012 10:30:18 PM

May 28, 2012 5:02:51 PM

Hi everyone. This is a great forum. I truly enjoy visiting. The information is current and useful. In fact, am wondering if someone can tell me if I can upgrade my A10-Mid 7-inch tablet to a newer version?
Follows related info:
Model - A10-MID
Android vs: 2.3.4
Baseband vs: 2.0.3
Kernel vs: 2.6.3b-android chiphd@ubuntu #13

Info much appreciated. Keep up the great work.
Lou

Jun 4, 2012 9:05:01 AM

Unfortunately this is a very hardware-specific issue. Just as Windows or Linux installs drivers for your PC, Android needs drivers to fit the hardware. It's also not a matter of just using your old drivers, just as Windows XP drivers often do not work with Windows 7.

I've been watching this process closely because I also have a Samsung S8500 Wave phone. The hardware is very similar to the Samsung's Android phone, the Galaxy S I9000. The Wikipedia S8500 article states that due to the limitations of its weak Bada OS kernel, "a phone with great hardware specifications is being under-utilized." So with the hardware similarities to the I9000, it is a natural choice to try to port the I9000's Android ROM to the S8500.

Even the kernel port was not easy. Differences in the 2 phones required kernel adjustments before the phone could even run on the Android kernel. Then once the kernel was running, most of the functions were not working because drivers needed to be written. This port has been in development for over a year, and they have got a lot of things working, like WiFi (and the ability to install from Google Play) but they are still working on writing the modem driver. Other small things like the microphone and camera drivers are awaiting attention as well.

So the take-away from this is that upgrading an unsupported device is a major technical exercise for engineers and developers. It's not as simple as upgrading your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7. Microsoft performs a major service by collecting as many hardware drivers as they possibly can to include on the distribution media, or download from Windows Update. If the manufacturer of a tablet or smartphone doesn't have the resources to keep their hardware updated, it is a major hobby project for a knowledgeable programmer to get Android working on such a device. If you have a mainstream device, there will probably be a ROM at CyanogenMod. If you have a marginally mainstream device, there may be a ROM at XDA Developers. Otherwise, you're on your own.

— modified on Jun 4, 2012 9:06:48 AM

Jun 5, 2012 4:07:45 PM

PJK2011
Unfortunately this is a very hardware-specific issue. Just as Windows or Linux installs drivers for your PC, Android needs drivers to fit the hardware. It's also not a matter of just using your old drivers, just as Windows XP drivers often do not work with Windows 7.

I've been watching this process closely because I also have a Samsung S8500 Wave phone. The hardware is very similar to the Samsung's Android phone, the Galaxy S I9000. The Wikipedia S8500 article states that due to the limitations of its weak Bada OS kernel, "a phone with great hardware specifications is being under-utilized." So with the hardware similarities to the I9000, it is a natural choice to try to port the I9000's Android ROM to the S8500.

Even the kernel port was not easy. Differences in the 2 phones required kernel adjustments before the phone could even run on the Android kernel. Then once the kernel was running, most of the functions were not working because drivers needed to be written. This port has been in development for over a year, and they have got a lot of things working, like WiFi (and the ability to install from Google Play) but they are still working on writing the modem driver. Other small things like the microphone and camera drivers are awaiting attention as well.

So the take-away from this is that upgrading an unsupported device is a major technical exercise for engineers and developers. It's not as simple as upgrading your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7. Microsoft performs a major service by collecting as many hardware drivers as they possibly can to include on the distribution media, or download from Windows Update. If the manufacturer of a tablet or smartphone doesn't have the resources to keep their hardware updated, it is a major hobby project for a knowledgeable programmer to get Android working on such a device. If you have a mainstream device, there will probably be a ROM at CyanogenMod. If you have a marginally mainstream device, there may be a ROM at XDA Developers. Otherwise, you're on your own.

DAMN...good...answer :)