Retro Jump'n'Run Star Warrior

• Replies:4
IMakeGames
  • Forum posts: 5

Feb 8, 2011, 3:23:59 PM via Website

Hey there!

I recently released the initial version of my game "Star Warrior". It's a classical jump'n'run game with retro graphics. I really think Android is lacking a lot of good jump'n'runs and hence created this in my spare time. Here are some screenshots:

But test it out for yourself, it's free of course: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/starwarrior.app/Star-Warrior :-)

I appreciate any feedback! And ratings and comments don't hurt either... ;-)

— modified on Feb 9, 2011, 1:30:48 PM

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Feb 9, 2011, 2:21:35 AM via App

If only gotten lvl 2 so far, but I like it. Nice job!

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Feb 9, 2011, 5:57:09 PM via Website

Okay, I've had about 15 minutes or so of play time with it and have made it to the end. I have to say that I really like the concept of the game and that I was having a lot of fun, but also dying a lot. Something about it made me feel like I was back in my Contra days.

However, there are some control/input issues. The "buttons" for forward and backward are too small, not well-defined enough, and not recognize a switch in direction from left movement to right movement when I simply slide my finger to the right. The character movement suffers a lot from this, and I ended up dying A LOT because of forgetting to lift my finger off the area and tap in the new direction I want to go.

I think that to make the game more enjoyable, the "buttons" could use a better redesign with a more defined area on where to press, and possibly some small tweaks to the code which detects when one area is pressed or not.

Otherwise, I liked it a lot. Let me know once you get more levels designed and released. I'm looking forward to see what progress you make.

IMakeGames
  • Forum posts: 5

Feb 9, 2011, 6:27:50 PM via Website

Thanks for taking your time trying it out! :-)

About the input issue: yes, I've also received feedback in form of market comments saying that the controls need some work. It seems they were aimed at this issue as well.
The reasons I implemented it the way it is (the need to lift of finger to change direction):
  • Stay more true to original (hardware) controllers. If you have a hardware d-pad, you normally also need to lift your finger a bit.
  • Prevent accidental direction switches. If you don't need to lift your finger and come a bit to far, your character would immediately switch direction. In games like Gun Bros., which has an analog input, the walking speed can be set gradually. That's not an option for my game.
But if many players have issues with this method, I will consider changing it or at least make another method available. I need to test it out...

Again, thank you very much for playing it, I really appreciate it! :-)