How to add favorites objects on Google map for android

• Replies:7
Marko Mijatovic
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 11, 2011, 8:32:05 PM via Website

I need an reference or explanation how to add favorites (important locations) in my Android app for Google maps. So far, I managed to display map, show my location and get address from point where user is tapped on map. I assume that this is done with overlay class, but how to get list of objects that I want to display?
Thanks

Marko Mijatovic

Feb 12, 2011, 1:47:00 AM via Website

Well, I'm not trying to do that...
I need to show various locations on my map. That locations can be: museum, university, monument, etc. In fact, they are all shown on map, but not as an object, so tap on them does nothing...
This is how it looks in my app and how in Google maps:

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Feb 12, 2011, 6:02:16 AM via Website

Check out the onTap method for the overlay class: http://code.google.com/android/add-ons/google-apis/reference/index.html

When someone taps the overlay it will call the onTap method, with GeoPoint P having the point that has been tapped. This won't display all the information that the google maps app displays from a favorites, though. I don't think that information is part of the google maps API, but rather is proprietary to google maps app. I could be wrong. You can display your own information about a favorites, when it's tapped with the onTap method though.

EDIT: Of course you could do most of the same stuff the google maps app does. From the GeoPoint information you could display the address when it is tapped. Put a :"Driver To" link on the map for them to click on, and then call the navigation app with an Intent, specifying the address in the parameters.

2nd EDIT: I wrote a small gps program once, here is the code I used to translate a lat/lon location to an address:

First you would get the lat and longitude from the GeoPoint provided in the onTap method of your overlay:

int lat = p.getLattitudeE6();
int long = p.getLongitudeE6();

Then create a Geocoder object:

Geocoder geoCoder = new Geocoder (getApplicationContext());

address="Could Not determine location."; //initinalize the address to not found

try {

//Use android.location.Location to get an address from a geoCoder object.

android.location.Location locs = geoCoder.getFromLocation (lat, long, 10); // get the address for the lat and long from the GeoPoint

if (locs.get(0) !=null) address=locs.get(0).toString(); //get the string representation of the address from locs
} catch (Exception e) {
//System.out.println ("location: "+e);
}

— modified on Feb 12, 2011, 6:18:26 AM

Marko Mijatovic

Feb 12, 2011, 11:02:12 AM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
Check out the onTap method for the overlay class: http://code.google.com/android/add-ons/google-apis/reference/index.html

When someone taps the overlay it will call the onTap method, with GeoPoint P having the point that has been tapped. This won't display all the information that the google maps app displays from a favorites, though. I don't think that information is part of the google maps API, but rather is proprietary to google maps app. I could be wrong. You can display your own information about a favorites, when it's tapped with the onTap method though.

That is what I need, that additional informations... :(
I have onTap method implemented, and all I can extract is address, country, etc.
If that informations are proprietary to google maps app, then must be other way to get them, because I saw a couple of apps whit this functionality...

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Feb 13, 2011, 12:54:28 AM via Website

Your probably right, but I wasn't able to find it looking through the maps api reference. I'll look again and let you know if I find anything.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Feb 14, 2011, 11:38:25 AM via Website

Marko, have you tried contacting the developers of the apps that had the ability you want? As long as you aren't making a competing product, they might be able to help you.

Marko Mijatovic

Feb 17, 2011, 11:55:18 AM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
Your probably right, but I wasn't able to find it looking through the maps api reference. I'll look again and let you know if I find anything.
Thanks
Douglas Carter
Marko, have you tried contacting the developers of the apps that had the ability you want? As long as you aren't making a competing product, they might be able to help you.
In fact, I am... They did not reply me yet. :(
I explained them that my application is for final exam on faculty, and that code will not be abused.

— modified on Feb 17, 2011, 11:56:30 AM