New Game: Knockheads

• Replies:17
treyygames
  • Forum posts: 10

Mar 1, 2011, 6:11:09 AM via Website

Check out my new game, Knockheads. It's completely free, and I have a lot of fun testing it :grin:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.treyygames.knockheadsBeta

By the way, it's in beta so if you notice anything weird, just let me know. Any feedback or questions, just reply or send me an email at knockheads.treyygames@gmail.com. Thanks!

— modified on Mar 1, 2011, 6:16:16 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Mar 1, 2011, 1:21:20 PM via Website

I gave it a try on my Nexus S and it's a pretty good concept. I enjoyed it a lot.

Are there more levels than the ones that are shown on the first grid screen?

— modified on Mar 1, 2011, 1:21:41 PM

treyygames

Mar 1, 2011, 6:27:36 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
I gave it a try on my Nexus S and it's a pretty good concept. I enjoyed it a lot.

Are there more levels than the ones that are shown on the first grid screen?
Hey, thanks for the positive word, glad you enjoyed it! There are currently only 36 levels, but more are coming soon (later this week probably).

treyygames

Mar 3, 2011, 6:59:12 PM via Website

Ok I added another 36 levels for a total of 72. Included in these new levels are some walls to make it more interesting.

Enjoy!

treyygames

Mar 5, 2011, 7:44:18 AM via Website

I just released an update that addresses some major performance issues. It should run a lot smoother now.:grin:

treyygames

Mar 6, 2011, 9:49:19 AM via Website

So there was an issue where some phones couldn't see the game in the market.. that is fixed now. So anyone who couldn't see it before and couldn't install it, it should work now. :grin:

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Mar 6, 2011, 10:32:25 PM via App

Nice game! I would like to be able to fling the yellow head a little harder. Maybe that's the way you designed it or maybe it's my phone, but I can't seem to fling him very hard.

What was the problem with it not showing up in the market for some phones? As a fellow developer I'd like to know how you fixed that.

treyygames

Mar 6, 2011, 11:35:15 PM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
Nice game! I would like to be able to fling the yellow head a little harder. Maybe that's the way you designed it or maybe it's my phone, but I can't seem to fling him very hard.

What was the problem with it not showing up in the market for some phones? As a fellow developer I'd like to know how you fixed that.
what kind of phone do you have? I am thinking of implementing an alternative way to shoot, like a pull-back-and-release kind of thing.

The compatibility issue was a simple mistake on my part, I didn't explicitly set the targetSdk in the manifest so it was running in compatibility mode. I set it when creating the project in eclipse so I overlooked it in the manifest. :*)

Jeremiah

Mar 7, 2011, 10:57:14 PM via App

I have the HTC hero. Games runs pretty good even on this old phone. I got one force close error when exiting the game though.

treyygames

Mar 8, 2011, 6:23:54 PM via Website

Jeremiah McLeod
I have the HTC hero. Games runs pretty good even on this old phone. I got one force close error when exiting the game though.
Did you get the force close error only once? If you get another, can you hit the 'report' button? It will send me the error. I have heard of one other person with that issue but I havent ever seen it happen on my phone.

Also, I am releasing an update soon that addresses the issue of sometimes having a bad throw where he doesnt move fast enough, hopefully later today. There are a few other additions in it as well, such as a blip to tell you when you've touched the yellow knockhead, and an awards page.

Thanks for playing! :D

Jeremiah

Mar 8, 2011, 10:55:33 PM via App

I've gotten the force close twice so far, it doesn't happen everytime. It's right after I press the exit button. I have Android 2.1 so I can't report the error.

treyygames

Mar 10, 2011, 6:18:44 PM via Website

Alright guys, new update today, with many improvements.

The force close error should be gone now, tested on a few phones. Also, the gameplay is drastically improved. You still fling the guy with a touch/drag but upon leaving the dashed circle, he shoots out at roughly the same speed no matter how slow you were moving.

Also, before I was using a delta time step for the physics, which accounted for fps fluctuations but with inaccurate floating point math, it was not enough. Slow framerates still moved slower. Here I've implemented a fixed time step with an accumulator, which has improved the physics and made the game much more consistent.

Hope you enjoy it!

Trey

— modified on Mar 10, 2011, 6:20:01 PM

treyygames

Mar 11, 2011, 6:44:25 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
It works great for me. Are you supposed to be able to curve the path of the head at initial launch?
Glad it works for you.

In the previous build, the angle of the shot was from the center of the dashed circle to the center of the knockhead - very limited. Now, as soon as you leave the circle, the exact angle the knockhead was moving is the angle he goes, with a certain velocity. So you can actually adjust the origin of your shot by moving left/right (relative to the angle you want to go) inside the circle before throwing, for fine tuning. :grin:

— modified on Mar 11, 2011, 6:45:28 PM

Jeremiah

Mar 12, 2011, 10:04:21 AM via App

Throwing the yellow head is working much better for me too.

treyygames

Apr 2, 2011, 8:36:44 PM via Website

New update:

Redos in panic mode! Power ups spawn randomly in a level and if you get it you will get a redo in panic mode.

The faces are totally redone. They are animated and not so ugly.

Check it out!:grin:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.treyygames.knockheadsBeta

— modified on Apr 2, 2011, 8:37:38 PM