Blutooth printing and barcode reading

• Replies:2
Steve Jankelowitz
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 11, 2011, 8:51:39 AM via Website

Hi All

I wonder if anyone could please help me with a problem I am having. I am rewriting an app I origionaly developed in J2ME using android. The only thing I am having an issue with is bluetooth. The application reads information from a bluetooth barcode reader and sends data to a bluetooth printer.

Before any data is read or written, I scan for all bluetooth devices, allow the user to select a device and store the devices MAC Address.

Lets start with the barcode reader. Device discovery does not find it. Why? even a Nokia device is able to find the reader I am using.

Discovery finds the printer, but when I try print data to it I get an IOException, unable to start discovery service.

Using J2ME I connected to both devices using: bconn = (StreamConnection) Connector.open("btspp://" + addr + ":1;authenticate=false;encrypt=false;master=false");

With android I am using the following:

String addr;

BluetoothAdapter bconn=null;

BluetoothDevice btd;

BluetoothSocket btSocket;

private UUID[] uuidSet;

. . .

uuidSet=new UUID[1];

uuidSet[0]=UUID.fromString("00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB");

try{ bconn=BluetoothAdapter.getDefaultAdapter();

btd=bconn.getRemoteDevice(addr);
btSocket=btd.createRfcommSocketToServiceRecord(uuidSet[0]);
btSocket.connect();

}

catch(Exception se){

System.out.println("open read Error: " + se);

Log.d("0", "Read Error " + se);

}

The error occurs at the btSocket.connect line

After battling for a few hours I decided to set up my printer and scanner to a PC with a bluesoleil usb bluetooth device.

When I tried the app (using hyperterminal) everything works.

Does anyone have any suggestions please.

Regards Steve

Just to add - On the scanning side of things I hardcoded a Scanndy scanners MAC Address into my application.
And I got the data. Downside - After I did this I could not get into settings -> Wireless & Networks.

Why Is Bluetooth so complicated on Android devices?

— modified on Apr 13, 2011, 12:26:00 PM

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Apr 11, 2011, 1:42:43 PM via Website

Hi there,

I've posted your question in the development forums on the German end of our site just to see if anyone knows how to answer it. When we get a response, I'll translate it and post it here.

Thanks for posting!

-s

Steve Jankelowitz
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 11, 2011, 2:07:20 PM via Website

Hi

Thanks, it is really appreciated

Regards
Steve